Who drives with headphones?
Aug 23, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 77
Generally, it can be done, I just wouldn't recommend it. Also, I'm sure lawyers would love to use it against you should you get into an accident while wearing them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
I guess you meant "yes"...

I meant even if talking on the phone or using the headphones aren't ALWAYS unsafe, we still shouldn't say it's ok to do it as any risks should be avoided.

But of course, who can resist...
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
I personally don't believe there's much point to this debate.

Is talking on the cellphone always unsafe while driving? No.

Of course there are exceptions, but as long as there are risks they shouldn't be used at all.

Safety first is safety first. There's no point in taking any risks when yours and other people's lives are on the line.

Well, driving is inherently unsafe, so let's get all these cars and trucks off the road so I can safely ride my bike. :)

Aug 23, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 77
Then a dog will come chasing behind you, barking loudly while you are enjoying the beautiful autumn view whilst listening to soft jazz on your bike.

(holy run on sentence batman)

edit: oh ya, and you'll get bitten cuz you can't hear the dog

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #21 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
This has been discussed before. You don't need to be able to hear to drive. Do you listen to your car stereo when driving? Do you listen to people talking? Cell phone? If you come from the distraction angle you shouldn't be allowed to do any of those things while driving if you can't listen to IEMs. The only audible indicator when driving is the horn, and its never something you need to hear if you're paying attention. As it is in a car you're fairly isolated, and with any of the above things going on you're as oblivious as you would be with IEM isolation.

-jesse

I agree with jesse, also the newer cars have more isolation, like my uncle's new ford F-150.

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #22 of 77
There's not one car on the road that can isolate like an IEM. I don't see any harm in driving with open headphones though I believe it's illegal here anyway... But an IEM isolates as well as earplus do, if you add music to that, you're deaf to the outside world. There's no good reason to impare yourself to that level. BTW, the comment about deaf people's remaining sense's being more actue is generally accurate. They spend their life compensating for their lack of being able to hear, we don't. Please don't fool yourself, it may cost someone else their life.

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 77
I never use my cans in the car, but always wear mx400 on my bike (pedal-bike).

Never been hit when it's my fault.

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 77
I believe it is legal to listen with 1 ear while driving (examples: motorcyclists talking to each other, cell phone hands-free).

I drove 3 hours on the interstate yesterday with an iRiver MP3CDP and a pair of Senn MX400s. This is my best solution for not going crazy on road trips since my car receiver was stolen about a year and a half ago (and I have too many other priorities ahead of car audio). They are inconspicuous, sound great, and don't isolate too much. You can also take them out very quickly if needed. I don't wear them in the city and I wouldn't use any high-isolation IEMs while driving.

Aug 24, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #26 of 77
Yikes, and I thought people who talked on their cellphone while driving were bad...
When driving a several thousand pound hunk of metal at 50 or more miles per hour, maybe awareness of your surroundings is more important than talking to your girl or listening to headphones? IMO of course
icon10.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #27 of 77
1. Its stupid to ride a bicycle with headphones blaring on full blast- I think hearing is an important part of being a cyclist, esp on the road where there aren't many safety measures available.

2. I also think that its ok to listen to music if driving (via headphones or speakers) as long as it is not so loud that you cannot hear anything at all... that could also mean that its so loud that you cannot concentrate, or if someone should horn you or sirens are nearby, you won't be able to hear.

I remember seeing on TV that studies showed loud music didn't necessarily result in a degredation in driving ability (they did saloms etc..)- but as you got older the music affected you more. And the type of music- there was a (insert name of famous composer starting with C who's name is nearly impossible to spell based on sounding it out- sounds like Chiv-ofsky) piece which when played really loudly distracted the drivers with the 'sudden' sharp notes.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #28 of 77
I drove to the Seattle meet with IEM's on, but only on the freeway. I never drive in town with them in, but if I'm going for a road trip I'll bring them along. I don't think it's dangerous personally. The only thing that I would need to hear is emergency vehicles, but on the highway there are multiple lanes in the unlikely event that I couldn't hear/see an emergency vehicle behind me.

Aug 24, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaCe_jai
1. Its stupid to ride a bicycle with headphones blaring on full blast- I think hearing is an important part of being a cyclist, esp on the road where there aren't many safety measures available.

I wouldn't recommend canal type phones on-road, but an open type headphone like the MX500 will let a lot of ambient sound come through at reasonable volume levels. I use my Sony EX71s while riding off-road and find I don't need to hear to concentrate on riding a bike, inspite of what some people say. I don't see a lot of people where I ride. On riding on-road, I think a rearview mirror is more important than hearing. Unfortunately most people don't use a mirror. I find I can't rely on hearing to consistently tell if a car is coming up from behind.

Aug 24, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #30 of 77
Don't need to hear horns? You see, the thing about driving with headphones is that more people do it than we realize. Only most of them can't post. THEY'RE DEAD!

Hearing car horns has SAVED MY LIFE on numerous occasions. God gave us more than one sense for a reason! WE NEED THEM ALL! Hell, if you were just risking YOUR life when driving, I'd say go ahead and put on headphones. Blindfolds too, if the bright lights bother you. The problem is, when you drive you risk MY LIFE! And I'll be damned if I want my life in the hands of someone stupid enough to completely block one of the two senses needed to properly operate a motor vehicle! There's a reason driving with headphones is illiegal in most states, and if I see you doing it, I'll sure as hell report your ass to local authorities!

I remember I was coming through an intersection one night, and the railroad crossing sign didn't work (giving no indication of a train, in the dark of night). FORTUNATELY I WASN'T WEARING HEADPHONES! How can you tell? I'm STILL HERE!

Then there was the time a kid's basketball bounced in front of my car (from between two parked cars, so I didn't see it), and a second later, the kid behind it. FORTUNATELY I HEARD THE BASKETBALL HIT THE PAVEMENT, braked and swerved just in time to save the little fellow's life.

"Don't need to hear when driving". Indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back