who do you think is the greatest rock guitarist of all time?
Oct 24, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #46 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finprog
Steve Howe from Yes is definitely up there with the best. His technique is outstanding, but there's more than just the chops: Howe takes the listener on a fantastic musical journey through his playing. He doesn't play in a "traditional rock guitar" style, and when you hear a song, you instantly recognize it's him.

IMO The guitar playing of Howe in "Yours Is No Disgrace" is wonderful. The first 40 seconds of the song are one of the ugliest intro I've ever heard, but as soon as Steve starts playing, well, everything changes.

Oct 24, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #47 of 85
"I've heard the All Along the Watchtower cover, and hated it. Didn't do Bob Dylan justice. In fact, it threw it on the ground and trampled it. If his music is anything like that, boooooring."

Wow, a lot of anger there. FYI Dylan is quoted as saying Jimi's cover is the definitive version of "All Along The Watchtower". I know it is for me as well.

Listen to his body of work, then decide if he is boring.

IMO, best rock guitarist ever= James Marshall Hendrix

Oct 24, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion Zion
Listen to his body of work, then decide if he is boring.

IMO, best rock guitarist ever= James Marshall Hendrix

If you want to check out Hendrix, get a copy of Axis Bold as Love and listen to Little Wing, Axis/Bold As Love, Castles Made of Sand and a few others. If you can't dig those that's cool. But I can't help you after that!
I think you might enjoy those evven if you didn't like Watchtower.
CPW

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I agree with Van Halen as the greatest rock guitarist. Hendrix is the only one that comes close, but as far as I know, he was not as technically proficient as EVH, who strikes a great balance between the great musicians/songwriters who play guitar (Page, Gilmour, Iommi, etc.) and the great technical guitar players (Malmsteen, Vai, Zappa, etc.).

This is a really hard to define category, what are you looking at, while taking such decision, the virtouso, the composer, or both.....Well in any case, if you put all those after Joe Satriani, I agree almost 100%, Joe was the teacher of most of the greatest rock guitarrist of this time, including Vai, and I'm pretty sure that Eddie Van Halen, Vai, Malmsteen (which I consider a virtouso but nothing else, his music is really bored and all alike) will agree with me on that.....about the old school, Zappa, Page, Blackmore, Gilmore, May, Fripp and IMO the best of all Steve Howe, this guy is really incredible.....Joe Satiani is an excellent composer, and a virtuoso, he is able to play anything with taste and refinement, not too many musicians nowadays areable to release that many good albums, and all of them very good to the date, most of them for one reason or the other, after a few albums, the musa is over and began to play classics, or try to get out of the hole with new genres and at the end BS....

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #50 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well in any case, if you put all those after Joe Satriani, I agree almost 100%, Joe was the teacher of most of the greatest rock guitarrist of this time, including Vai, and I'm pretty sure that Eddie Van Halen, Vai, Malmsteen (which I consider a virtouso but nothing else, his music is really bored and all alike) will agree with me on that......Joe Satiani is an excellent composer, and a virtuoso, he is able to play anything with taste and refinement, not too many musicians nowadays areable to release that many good albums, and all of them very good to the date, most of them for one reason or the other, after a few albums, the musa is over and began to play classics, or try to get out of the hole with new genres and at the end BS....

I was a student of Satriani but most of those you name were not.
Vai was, Kirk Hammet was (metallica), my bandmate Doug Doppler (now signed to Vai's Favoured Nations Label)was his protoge and took over his teaching practice.
If you think Joe is good, check out Marc Bonilla (my eventual teacher/mentor). He had two now out of print releases on Reprise and IMO kills Satch in terms of composition. He does session/film score wk in LA now. Satriani is a talent but IMO not a great songwriter and for me not a great teacher. Obviously he was for others.
CPW

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Vai was, Kirk Hammet was (Metallica), my bandmate Doug Doppler (now signed to Vai's Favoured Nations Label)was his protoge and took over his teaching practice.
If you think Joe is good, check out Marc Bonilla (my eventual teacher/mentor). He had two now out of print releases on Reprise and IMO kills Satch in terms of composition. He does session/film score wk in LA now. Satriani is a talent but IMO not a great songwriter and for me not a great teacher. Obviously he was for others.
CPW

Read my post again, I'm not saying that the rest were, I just mentioned Vai, referring to that he was his teacher, maybe this part was confusing.....being or not a good teacher is not the point, what is relevant is that those guys learned from him most of what they offer now to us, and I also like them....the first time Vai meet him, was not able to even put the strings on the guitar, and he said that, not me, OK?
Please if you can get me a copy of the Bonilla albums, PM me, I really would like to hear that guy......BTW being a good composer means to be also consistent along time, to release two or three albums and then retire to play in a club in the Bahamas, and never write a song, or write a bunch of crap that nobody listens to, is very easy....Ho many case we have of those nowadays????
I consider Eddie Van Halen a very good musician, but I only own 5 of his albums, wanna know why? The rest IMO is not at the same level, from 1984 on, the music goes down and down, and IMO really sucks, music to entertain the young mass, a la Bon Jovi, after the 4 or 5 first albums IMO Van Halen shut the radio off for me, same as Dave Lee Roth, two or three albums, and period, the rest is pure crap, so where is the talent now? Look at Robert Fripp, Steve Howe, they are still releasing good stuff, Satriani has a few songs that I do not like, but IMO he is not that bad as a composer neither.....but again, same as in audio, and even more, as music is an art, everybody has their own preferences, and IMO nobody is wrong.....please get me those Bonilla albums to see how this guy plays.....

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Vai was, Kirk Hammet was (metallica), my bandmate Doug Doppler (now signed to Vai's Favoured Nations Label)was his protoge and took over his teaching practice.
CPW

Wow!!! Doug Doppler is your bandmate and Satch was your teacher? Exalted company, indeed! Do you have any soundclips of stuff you've played that I can stream, or any recent recordings?

I agree about what you say about Satriani. As much as I love his playing (I even own an Ibanez JS1000), lately his playing has become formulaic. And for someone to mention Kirk Hammett in the same breath as some of the bonafide greats is an insult
wink.gif

I have Marc Bonilla's debut recording, but it somehow didn't sound very inspired to me, despite many good reviews. I think Andy Timmons is one of the most outstanding current rock guitar instrumentalists. He puts Vai, Malmsteen etc to shame. His guitar is literally an extension of himself, much like EVH, Hendrix and the rare gifted few. Melody, chops, compositional skills and effortless ease, he's got it all.

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #53 of 85
We're talking a long time ago my friend. Doug and I played together in High Schoool and I've pretty much gotten out of the recording business since college (1980's). But I can still pick a mean lick when I'm inclined!
Cheers,
CPW
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric
Wow!!! Doug Doppler is your bandmate and Satch was your teacher? Exalted company, indeed! Do you have any soundclips of stuff you've played that I can stream, or any recent recordings?

I agree about what you say about Satriani. As much as I love his playing (I even own an Ibanez JS1000), lately his playing has become formulaic. And for someone to mention Kirk Hammett in the same breath as some of the bonafide greats is an insult
wink.gif

I have Marc Bonilla's debut recording, but it somehow didn't sound very inspired to me, despite many good reviews. I think Andy Timmons is one of the most outstanding current rock guitar instrumentalists. He puts Vai, Malmsteen etc to shame. His guitar is literally an extension of himself, much like EVH, Hendrix and the rare gifted few. Melody, chops, compositional skills and effortless ease, he's got it all.

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #54 of 85
Quote:

I consider Eddie Van Halen a very good musician, but I only own 5 of his albums, wanna know why? The rest IMO is not at the same level, from 1984 on, the music goes down and down, and IMO really sucks, music to entertain the young mass, a la Bon Jovi, after the 4 or 5 first albums IMO Van Halen shut the radio off for me, same as Dave Lee Roth, two or three albums, and period, the rest is pure crap, so where is the talent now? Look at Robert Fripp, Steve Howe, they are still releasing good stuff, Satriani has a few songs that I do not like, but IMO he is not that bad as a composer neither.....but again, same as in audio, and even more, as music is an art, everybody has their own preferences, and IMO nobody is wrong.....please get me those Bonilla albums to see how this guy plays.....

YGPM
I agree about EVH. I saw them on their 1st album tour and (aside from Jeff Beck) I've never been more impressed by a live rock guitar concert (AC/DC opened, then VH, then Pat Travers, Foreigner and finally Aerosmith; pretty cool show). I also lost interest after 1984.
Also saw Fripp at UCSD in the early 80's and that was a treat. Never saw Howe live but I'm a big fan.
CPW

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #56 of 85
I just saw Mission Of Burma play on Saturday and was really, really impressed with Roger Miller's guitar work. He might not be able to spout off long-winded, masturbatory solo scales, but he can make a guitar sound like a flaming razor blade.

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #57 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
We're talking a long time ago my friend. Doug and I played together in High Schoool and I've pretty much gotten out of the recording business since college (1980's). But I can still pick a mean lick when I'm inclined!
Cheers,
CPW

totally off topic, but i looked at your profile and i can't believe you dont own ANY kind of grado! please please buy one and live with one for a while and cycle all your electric guitar faves through it. i think grados are the best cans with electric guitar, PERIOD. IMO (no humility in that comment!)

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #58 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
totally off topic, but i looked at your profile and i can't believe you dont own ANY kind of grado! please please buy one and live with one for a while and cycle all your electric guitar faves through it. i think grados are the best cans with electric guitar, PERIOD. IMO (no humility in that comment!)

Music is not only guitars, remember that....I like them though....LOL...

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Heartily seconded. As another guitar player offering his opinion, no other phone does crunchy guitars as tonally accurately and spectacularly as the Grados.

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #60 of 85
Quote:

Music is not only guitars, remember that....I like them though....LOL...

haha this is totally true. but once you hear Stevie Ray Vaughn lay some electric desperation down through some Grados, you might be tempted to buy a can just for one track! ah so delicious. Grados aren't just one-trick ponies of course, but even if they were, electric guitar would be their trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back