who do you think is the greatest rock guitarist of all time?
Oct 26, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #61 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
haha this is totally true. but once you hear Stevie Ray Vaughn lay some electric desperation down through some Grados, you might be tempted to buy a can just for one track! ah so delicious. Grados aren't just one-trick ponies of course, but even if they were, electric guitar would be their trick!

Nope, I heard him playing with Albert King "Sessions" through the PS-1 and HP-1000 and still prefer my CD3000....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Nope, I heard him playing with Albert King "Sessions" through the PS-1 and HP-1000 and still prefer my CD3000....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

ACK! Well there's nothing I can say to that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #63 of 85
Quote:

totally off topic, but i looked at your profile and i can't believe you dont own ANY kind of grado! please please buy one and live with one for a while and cycle all your electric guitar faves through it. i think grados are the best cans with electric guitar, PERIOD. IMO (no humility in that comment!)

I know, I know. I've been working on it. But if you've seen any of my recent posts, you'll know that my wallet is in a bad way! (Stealth, Von Schweikert Sub, fancy cables, SACDmods 963a, etc-all in the last 2 wks!)
I did actually start a thread a few weeks back asking for a first Grado recommendation. Just haven't got around to it yet. Right after the record cleaner!
Pls feel free to suggest the 1st Grado. RS-1? 225? 325? Alessandro? (let's not talk about the ps-1!)
CPW

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #64 of 85
Hmm, I think the best of both worlds would be the SR225 to totally ROCK OUT to some bombastic craziness (like early EVH) but after hours of headbanging you might find your ears ringing lol. John Grado made some killer drivers for rock.

Then I'd move on to the MS-2 to listen to Slowhand, Eric Johnson, SRV in his quieter moments. Purrrrrfect. Go Grado Metalhead!

Honestly, I couldn't get into the groove with the RS-1. Maybe it was a personal preference thing, so it was just the idea of rocking out while wearing Mahoghany earcups lol.

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #65 of 85
Hi Jahn, hi cpw,
I like a lot the fried air sound of distorted electric guitars through overdriven tube amps.
So I'm kind of interested in the 1st Grado suggestion too.
I think the HD595 do a good job with hard rock, the AKG501 don't. I've never heard the Grados.
(The problem is that here in Switzerland the SR-225 cost 400$. Headroom has them for 200$ but I can't import them from the US because Grado asks dealers to decline international orders).
And sorry for the off topic too.
EDIT: Oops, posted after Jahn.

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto
Hi Jahn, hi cpw,
I like a lot the fried air sound of distorted electric guitars through overdriven tube amps.
So I'm kind of interested in the 1st Grado suggestion too.
I think the HD595 do a good job with hard rock, the AKG501 don't. I've never heard the Grados.
(The problem is that here in Switzerland the SR-225 cost 400$. Headroom has them for 200$ but I can't import them from the US because Grado asks dealers to decline international orders).
And sorry for the off topic too.
EDIT: Oops, posted after Jahn.

www.alessandro-products.com will ship worldwide, they are grados but tweaked to be more neutral for studio work. The MS-1 is like the SR125, and is $99 shipped worldwide. The MS-2 is like the SR325 and is $299 shipped worldwide. The only thing you have to watch out for is customs, but I guess that's always a problem lol.

Oct 26, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

www.alessandro-products.com will ship worldwide, they are grados but tweaked to be more neutral for studio work. The MS-1 is like the SR125, and is $99 shipped worldwide. The MS-2 is like the SR325 and is $299 shipped worldwide. The only thing you have to watch out for is customs, but I guess that's always a problem lol.

Thank you Jahn,
I see that there isn't an SR-225 made by Alessandro (an MS1.5 would have been perfect).
Is the MS-2 as good as the SR-225 for rock?

Oct 26, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

Thank you Jahn,
I see that there isn't an SR-225 made by Alessandro (an MS1.5 would have been perfect).
Is the MS-2 as good as the SR-225 for rock?

I agree - the SR225 just doesn't have an Alessandro equivalent. That's why I think the "Sweet spot" in the prestige-level line of Grados is the MS-1/SR225/MS-2.

The MS-2 is as good as the SR225 for rock, but in different ways. If you want to shred to some Pantera, SR225 probably gets the nod. If you want to lay some classic heavy metal down like Cream, get the MS-2. But if you want something with a modern edge but is still bluesy, like GN'R, then either can will be great. Would it be wrong of me to say "get both?"
evil_smiley.gif
They both definitely bring something different to the table. For instance, Live has a track called "Pain Lies by the Riverside" and the SR225 seems lively and active compared to the MS-2 with it. But Live performing "Lightning Crashes" calls out for the lush anthemic presentation the MS-2 will give you, while still honoring the electric guitar.

Ultimately, the MS-2 is the can i can slap on and listen to for hours, metal, rap, club, it doesn't matter. But the 225 is REALLY in your face and doesn't let go until your ears are ringing - like an hour later lol.

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

I agree - the SR225 just doesn't have an Alessandro equivalent. That's why I think the "Sweet spot" in the prestige-level line of Grados is the MS-1/SR225/MS-2.

The MS-2 is as good as the SR225 for rock, but in different ways. If you want to shred to some Pantera, SR225 probably gets the nod. If you want to lay some classic heavy metal down like Cream, get the MS-2. But if you want something with a modern edge but is still bluesy, like GN'R, then either can will be great. Would it be wrong of me to say "get both?"
evil_smiley.gif
They both definitely bring something different to the table. For instance, Live has a track called "Pain Lies by the Riverside" and the SR225 seems lively and active compared to the MS-2 with it. But Live performing "Lightning Crashes" calls out for the lush anthemic presentation the MS-2 will give you, while still honoring the electric guitar.

Ultimately, the MS-2 is the can i can slap on and listen to for hours, metal, rap, club, it doesn't matter. But the 225 is REALLY in your face and doesn't let go until your ears are ringing - like an hour later lol.

Thank you Jahn, I will listen to the Live songs you mention.
If you liked guitar players like Marty Friedman, Kirk Hammet, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young, Tom Morello, Vernon Reid, John Meyer, Steve Howe, Andy Summers, would you get an MS-2 or an SR-225?

Oct 27, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #71 of 85
I have to say Jimi Hendrix - he revolutionized rock guitar.

How about Tommy Bolin, and Jerry Garcia - have they been mentioned yet?

Bruce Cockburn can also lay down wicked licks when he wants.
John McLaughlin is hot as well, but not really R&R

Plus the usual that I'm sure have already been listed. I can't pick a "greatest".

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Thank you Jahn, I will listen to the Live songs you mention.
If you liked guitar players like Marty Friedman, Kirk Hammet, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young, Tom Morello, Vernon Reid, John Meyer, Steve Howe, Andy Summers, would you get an MS-2 or an SR-225?

Kirk Hammet/EVH/Tom Morello/Vernon Reid = SR225

Jimi/Angus/John Meyer/Steve Howe/Andy Summers = MS-2

Sorry to make it difficult for you, but that's how I see it! Hope that helps!

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #73 of 85
Quote:

Kirk Hammet/EVH/Tom Morello/Vernon Reid = SR225

Jimi/Angus/John Meyer/Steve Howe/Andy Summers = MS-2

Sorry to make it difficult for you, but that's how I see it! Hope that helps!

It sure helps Jahn, I understand better now.

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #75 of 85
Are we doing this again? I can't see how anyone could vote against Hendrix in terms of originality and influence. I think some folks tend to mix up these questions: 1) who was the "best" on instrument x, and 2) who played the music I like best on instrument x
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back