who do you think is the greatest rock guitarist of all time?
Oct 27, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #76 of 85
Aren't there any Rush fans out there? Alex Lifeson is amazing, although he's not the greatest of all time but a 30-year veteran of the circuit tours with a large following deserves some mention..........

Oct 27, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #77 of 85
I wouldn't say Hendrix played his instrument best. I mean, he played it very incorrectly (he held it upside down!). He had to do a lot of unique things to be able to get the sound he did.

Let's say Hendrix was the most "unique" guitarist.

I think that the best guitarist in rock genre (that is popular) would have to be Jimi Page. In terms of who PLAYS best, I think that Page does. Who sounds better? Who is more unique? Probably Hendrix.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #78 of 85
He did hold his guitar upside down in that he was left-handed and didn't restring it, but instead just played it with the strings the other way up - however I don't see how that detracts from his incredible technique. He may have done a lot of unconvetional things but he was also a great technician in the classic sense.

I think that all of the other guitarists mentioned would agree that Jimi was the one.

Oct 28, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #79 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
Aren't there any Rush fans out there? Alex Lifeson is amazing, although he's not the greatest of all time but a 30-year veteran of the circuit tours with a large following deserves some mention..........

Yes, he is awesome. I always like a good Rush block in my week.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finprog
Steve Howe from Yes is definitely up there with the best. His technique is outstanding, but there's more than just the chops: Howe takes the listener on a fantastic musical journey through his playing. He doesn't play in a "traditional rock guitar" style, and when you hear a song, you instantly recognize it's him.

Another great player is Andrew Latimer from Camel. Talk about making that guitar really weep. His technique may not be among the best in this universe, but when he throws an emotional solo you are taken to another universe. His style is very similar to David Gilmour's, who is also one of my favourites.

I agree with both of your choises. Steve Howe dared to play jazzy leads and slide guitar in songs that most guitarist would have played blusey, and made it work. Difference between Gilmore and Latimer is Gilmore can make you want to cry with 2 notes, Latimer can do it with 1 note.

Oct 30, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #82 of 85
Jade Puget.

I couldn't tell you why... but in my eyes (ears?) he's the best there is. I'm sure there's dozens of quitarists out there who're more technially-adept or well-studied or whatever than he, but subjective questions elicit subjective responses.

Nov 6, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #83 of 85
580smile.gif
My all time favourtie, the one who just makes me smile when I watch him play is Stevie Ray Vaughan, people have mentioned him passingly but him live at the El Mocombo was...theres just a feeling in the way he plays, and I love the tone he gets out of his fender, very few of songs were overly difficult to play or ridiculously complex, but the way he played...Hendrix had that same thing, live at woodstock was good, but too often he lost track of what he was playing, just started dwelling on feedback and such, hard to explain, watch the two vids and see what I mean.
580smile.gif

eggosmile.gif
P.S ZACK WYLDE OZZFEST 2002 6 MINUTE SOLO, WITH HIS TEETH BEHIND HIS HEAD, BEAST!!! Definately one of my favs
eggosmile.gif

Top 5 (who I would want to sign my guitar)
Zack Wylde
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmy Hendrix
Chris (my guitar teacher) <---Everyone holds their guitar teacher in high regard, but the difference is, mine was better then yours so
cool.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #84 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giddeo
P.S ZACK WYLDE OZZFEST 2002 6 MINUTE SOLO, WITH HIS TEETH BEHIND HIS HEAD

With his teeth behind his head? Now that I would like to see!
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #85 of 85
okay, I scanned all the posts quickly and might have missed these guys mentioned:

Adrian Belew - I'd stack Ade up against any of the electric godz (yes, even Jimi). Just how does one get a rhino out of a stratocaster?

Jorma Kaukonen - in the late 60's, Jorma defined psychedelia, and he's a blues guitarist! Later on in Hot Tuna, he reminded a lot of us ignorant white guys who we have to thank for much of what we enjoy today.

Nick Drake - no really, just listen to his finger picking and then find someone who did this intricate, jazzy playing before he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back