who do you think is the greatest rock guitarist of all time?
Oct 20, 2004 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

headphonegeek

100+ Head-Fier
for me i think it's eddie van halen.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 85
Jimi Hendrix is pretty hard to argue against...

Not only technically brilliant, but very creative with his sound and did a lot of unconvetional things - all the little scratches and scrapes and the crazy sounds he got of his instrument. Half the time it's really hard to know what the hell he's doing, not because he's playing fast (he very rarely did) but because those sounds just don't come out of a guitar
eek.gif

He was a very expressive musician and his emphasis was always on emotion and melody over technique for it's own sake.

Another more personal choice of mine is Neil Young, a great and underrated guitarist who shines both with electric and acoustic styles and again very expressive and emotional in his playing.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 85
I don't know if I am qualified to consider anyone the best. I do know that I like Hendrix a lot, Clapton, Santana, and Neil Schon. Of course, there many other opinions.

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 85
I'd say Avril Lavigne. Her unique playing style has yet to be emulated by others, she also makes it look sooo easy.

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
I'd say Avril Lavigne. Her unique playing style has yet to be emulated by others, she also makes it look sooo easy.

biggrin.gif
Truly a guitar god if ever there was one.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 85
Well, its always the same thing with these kind of threads; we're gonna hear the name of half the guitarists of the planet so I figured I'd be original and give a new name...
tongue.gif
Well other than the usual suspects: Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Slash, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Robert Fripp, Zappa, SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, Eric Johnson, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, etc.. etc.. etc..

Besides, why do you crap on my choice.. Maybe I'm a young and don't know a lot of guitarists from MTV and the radio stations i listen too... and from the ones i know I think she's the best.. coz.. like she composes her own stuff!
tongue.gif
Or maybe I see a lot of potential and think that in many years will surpass all that went before her!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 85
Frank Zappa
Marc Ribot

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 85
My top choice: David Gilmour

Never Mentioned but NEED to be on any list:
John Pecrucci (Dream Theater)
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
Peter Lindgren (Opeth)
Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)
Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam)
Adam Jones (Tool)
Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 85
Not sure if he's my favorite or not, but I think Tom Morello should at least be mentioned here...

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
Maybe I'm a young and don't know a lot of guitarists from MTV and the radio stations i listen too...

You, sir, need Fuze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back