who do you think is the greatest rock guitarist of all time?
Oct 22, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #32 of 85
SImply my opinion here, but to try and name a single guitarist as the Greatest ever is impossible. Even if you reduce it to greatest rock guitarist, it's still way too hard because of all the different styles. But whatever, this is supposed to be fun, right? My favorite guitarists then, (not necessarily the greatest, but those whom i admire) Johnny Ramone most assuredly. (Find me somebody else who can play for that long, that FAST on only downstrokes, plus he's one of the Godfathers of punk, regardless, I dig him) Warren Fitzgerald of the Vandals. Ya gotta see this guy live to appreciate all the energy he puts into his playing. Dimebag Darrell and Zack Wylde are in the same boat. Really, really good guitarists. I just wish Zack would put his own spin on the old Sabbath and Ozzy songs. I've heard the Randy and Tommy takes on them a million times on record. I want to hear HIS take already dammit. There's more, but I just can't think of them right now.

Decay

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #33 of 85
first / foremost: My mom. As a spanish flamenco player of ~10 years,she bought me my first guitar, chord chart and paid for my first lessons in 82'... I was 11.

I'll name all my personal fav's and then my favorite... please disregard any spelling errors

Randy Rhoads
Andy summers
Alex Lifeson
John Petrucci
EVH
Brian May
Steve Morse
Eric Clapton
Billy Gibbons
Prince
Junior Brown
Reves Gabriels
eric Clapton
Steve howe
SRV
Eric Johnson
Buddy guy
John Fogerty
Mark Knopfler
david gilmour
Dick Dale
George Lynch
Stweart Adamson
Chris DeGarmo
Mike Campbell
Elliot easton
Keith Scott

My fav is Petrucci... by far. IMHO his sense of melody, harmony, rhythm changes and note harmonics is very inspiring. His pick attack dynamics are incredible, second only to SRV (IMHO). Fogerty would be a close second. He can take a simple A/G/D/C major progression and compose it into a full tune like no one else.

Oct 22, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
I've never really heard any Jimi Hendrix. Can anyone mention a good song of his to get me started?

I love almost all of them, but my favourites are:
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
All Along The Watchtower (cover of a Dylan song)
Castles Made Of Sand
Little Wing
Bold As Love

As an experiment I would suggest to listen to the original Dylan version of All Along The Watchtower first, then listen to Jimi's version. You will get a clear picture of what Jimi was capable.

Oct 22, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #36 of 85
photographlondon,
in a similar thread i've already stated my preference for hendrix' feedback disciples:
j. mascis, joey santiago, thurston moore, kevin shields (my bloody valentine). i've said then and i say again that hendrix would agree.

neil young also qualifies (the soundtrack for dead man and weld/arc)

the rock guitar is not the harp. (ned schneebly would agree...)

Oct 22, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #37 of 85
I'd forgotten Kevin Shields - certainly not the world's greatest technician but again a unique sound.

I really have no idea what Hendrix would think, he was a one-off talent and was able to fuse amazing technique with unparalled creativity - the best of both worlds. It's so hard to have great technique and it's equally hard to play with imagination, so to do both as well as he did is exceptional, and probably won't be repeated for a long time.

Edit: Actually I think J. Mascis does come close at times, but not with the same regular consistency.

Oct 22, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto
I love almost all of them, but my favourites are:
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
All Along The Watchtower (cover of a Dylan song)
Castles Made Of Sand
Little Wing
Bold As Love

As an experiment I would suggest to listen to the original Dylan version of All Along The Watchtower first, then listen to Jimi's version. You will get a clear picture of what Jimi was capable.

I've heard the All Along the Watchtower cover, and hated it. Didn't do Bob Dylan justice. In fact, it threw it on the ground and trampled it. If his music is anything like that, boooooring.

Oct 22, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by photographlondon
I would rather listen to Sonic Youth play guitar with a screwdriver (which I've seen them do in the flesh) and still get some melody and hooks out of their instruments than some boring, pointless solo that just shows off technique.

absolutely. i saw sonic youth about 16 years ago, on their daydream nation tour. just watching thurston moore bring out two armfuls of guitars (about 15-20 in all), and then tune them one by one, each differently... i was awestruck.

Oct 22, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #41 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
I've heard the All Along the Watchtower cover, and hated it. Didn't do Bob Dylan justice. In fact, it threw it on the ground and trampled it. If his music is anything like that, boooooring.

I would say that Hendrix is not your cup of tea then.

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #42 of 85
Winnah: Carlos Santana

runners up
Jay Guerenger (former WZ)
Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
Mick Murphy (My Ruin)

Oct 23, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #43 of 85
I'm afraid I'm going to have to be "that guy" since no one else has chimed in. I'd have to nominate Jonny Greenwood for his masterful manipulation of effects and inventive solos. His distortion sounds great, but his creative use of delay and pitch-shifting effects are what sets him apart. Listen to the solo at the end of "Airbag" and his guitar parts in "Subterranean Homesick Alien" off of OK Computer for a couple great examples.

I would also have to nominate Tom Verlaine of the band Television. He is both an amazingly expressive, unique soloist and an incredibly complex riff rocker.

Oct 24, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #44 of 85
Steve Howe from Yes is definitely up there with the best. His technique is outstanding, but there's more than just the chops: Howe takes the listener on a fantastic musical journey through his playing. He doesn't play in a "traditional rock guitar" style, and when you hear a song, you instantly recognize it's him.

Another great player is Andrew Latimer from Camel. Talk about making that guitar really weep. His technique may not be among the best in this universe, but when he throws an emotional solo you are taken to another universe. His style is very similar to David Gilmour's, who is also one of my favourites.

Oct 24, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #45 of 85
I've seen most of the big names listed here live including Page, Clapton, Vai, Satriani, DiMeola, McLaughlin, etc. (Biggest one missing from live list is Pertrucci and of course Hendrix).
I can say w/out a doubt that Jeff Beck was the most killing guitarist I've ever seen. I've never seen anyone wrench more emotion from an electric guitar. Ever.
Hendrix and EVH get a tie in my book for most revolutionary (rock only).
CPW
PS Sorry Tom but I have to disagree w/ your assesment of Slash. Big disappointment for me. Very overrated in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back