who do you think is the greatest rock guitarist of all time?
Oct 21, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 85
Quote:

Well, its always the same thing with these kind of threads; we're gonna hear the name of half the guitarists of the planet so I figured I'd be original and give a new name...

Come on, how can you guys forget Andrew Ridgeley?

Oct 21, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #18 of 85
I second the idea of Jimi Hendrix being the one to rule them all, whether he is my favorite or not. I'd personally have a split decision on whether to vote Jimmy Page, Ozzy or David Hasselhoff as God (David had the Baywatch Run™), but Hendrix is absolutely amazing on six strings. Speaking of which, I have a copy of Hendrix's album Band of Gypsys which I just got but haven't listened to... got something to do now.

Oct 21, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
I'd say Avril Lavigne. Her unique playing style has yet to be emulated by others, she also makes it look sooo easy.

I understand the hopeful attempt of humor, but, given what I've seen in interviews, read in interviews, and otherwise learned, you shouldnt even invoke her name. She is the ultimate scam, the awaiting satan, she despises everything good about music, and flaunts her success as if everything else is a joke. Unknowing that, ultimately, she is the joke.

JC

Oct 21, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #20 of 85
Jimmy Page or Hendrix.

I have to disqualify Yngwie Malmsteen

A. He's missing too many vowels in his name.
B. He's the most famous guitarist in the world who hasn't recorded a song anyone's heard of.

Oct 21, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #21 of 85
The answer depends on what you're looking for...

For sheer brilliance and creativity, I'd go with James Marshall Hendrix

For awesome physical talent (can do stuff that nobody else can do), I'd go with Eddie Van Halen. I feel like Slash is a similar talent.

There's a lot to be said for folks like David Gilmour and Keith Richard, who might not be the best technical guitarists, but have the ability to coax things out of rifs and chords that others don't seem to be able to.

Then there's Carlos Santana...I get more and more impressed every time I hear him play.

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #24 of 85
I agree with Van Halen as the greatest rock guitarist. Hendrix is the only one that comes close, but as far as I know, he was not as technically proficient as EVH, who strikes a great balance between the great musicians/songwriters who play guitar (Page, Gilmour, Iommi, etc.) and the great technical guitar players (Malmsteen, Vai, Zappa, etc.).

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I really like the stylings of ol' J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. Please don't flame me.

"Freak Scene" contains the greatest guitar solo ever commited to record.
lambda.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #26 of 85
PS, just to be controversial I would add that technical players do absolutely nothing for me - technique has to serve melody and emotion.

I would rather listen to Sonic Youth play guitar with a screwdriver (which I've seen them do in the flesh) and still get some melody and hooks out of their instruments than some boring, pointless solo that just shows off technique.

Another great great guitarist is Joey Santiago from The Pixies, a totally unique sound that is instantly recognisable. When he played live he did some absolutely crazy stuff as well, thrilling to watch.

In a way these more alternative artists are more in keeping with the spirit of Hendrix (and the things that I like about him like his creativity) than purely technical players like Van Halen. All IMHO of course.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 85
I like Eddie a lot, but IMO He doesn't even come close to Jimi Hendrix. I agree that Eddie is technically superior, but Jimi is a much better musician.
Jimi could not play Eruption, but Eddie is far from being able to compose timeless masterpieces like Little Wing, Castles Made Of Sand, Voodoo Chile Slight Return, ...
Jimi was a complete and pure genius, He invented a whole new artistic world (not just tapping).
When I hear Jimi play, I don't hear scales, arpeggios, chords, I hear pure music.

Oct 21, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #28 of 85
I voted Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page over Van Halen and Randy Rhoads simply because they were about the sound, not the means of producing the sound. When you're listening to a person like Page, Hendrix and Carlos Santana, you can just imagine them on stage in that stereotypical pose, with their eyes closed and their hand running up and down the next of the guitar and music just flowing out of them. And that's what playing guitar is about. It's about the destination, not the road to it.

Oct 21, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
My top choice: David Gilmour

Never Mentioned but NEED to be on any list:
John Pecrucci (Dream Theater)
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
Peter Lindgren (Opeth)
Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)
Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam)
Adam Jones (Tool)
Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)

I second John Pecrucci. In fact, I'm listening to Dream Theater's "Scenes From a Memory" right now. Great album, plus I've heard some live solos he's done that are insane. This guy is really good.

Jimmy Page gets my other vote.

I've never really heard any Jimi Hendrix. Can anyone mention a good song of his to get me started?

Oct 21, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #30 of 85
um yeah, john petrucci.

not because he can shred like a madman, which every other random guitarist can do, but because he near-effortlessly writes incredibly complex and mindboggling melodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back