Who ARE you???
Mar 25, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #61 of 129
There's work, then there's art. Anyone who tells me Britney Spears is an artist needs a reality check. You don't have to be good at what you do to be an artist, but you can't sell lies and still expect to be regarded as an artist either.

Mar 25, 2002 at 11:55 AM Post #62 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
I am not the stereotypical teenager. I have never "hung out" at the mall, have never been "cruising", don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs whatsoever, and would much rather spend an evening in a coffee shop attempting to play chess and trying to discover the true meaning of life than go out and "party"

Part of the true meaning of life is going out to "party". Nobody needs to do it every evening, but it's no good to hole yourself up in the coffeeshop to play chess every evening either. And no, staying home and reading a book is not an acceptable change of routine.
wink.gif

I went out with people in high school crusing, pretending to drink beer and pouring it out of the window when they weren't looking. It wasn't the best time of my life, but all life experience is cumulative. If you don't have a breadth of experiences, good and bad, you can't really have much depth of experience, because you won't have anything to compare your experiences to.

Lookit, you've gotta make mistakes in your life. Believe me, it's better to make them young. And who knows? Maybe hanging at the mall might provide some interesting lady friend opportunities.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #63 of 129
Publishing and Content management systems Software Consultant..(and ...audioholic!)

Mar 25, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #64 of 129
Sorry! Next poll I post willl have more gradations. I did not mean to imply that artists and musicians are the same. For that response, I was trying to find out how many people earn a living through use of some tangible mechanism for expression of their creativity. And, was trying to keep it simple. I figured (incorrectly it appears) that with too many choices in a poll, people might not respond. Should have known better.

Note: I understand that most everyone uses creativity to do their job. But, to use myself as an example, I don't think most folks would understand/acknowledge my finding an elegant and creative way of managing a poisoning/overdose case to be "creative" or artistic even though the idea gets expressed in tangible ways.

Bruce

Mar 25, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #65 of 129
Oh, I never said that that was all I do
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I just gave that as an example. My nights are filled with everything from music to 99-stock smash brothers matches which involve some of the most creative swearing on this planet.

But remember that I can't go out every night, or even every weekend. We have Saturday classes here every other weekend, in addition to a required chapel on Sunday. So really I get about five hours of time a week, double/triple that when we don't have classes on Saturday. That is if I'm not late to class or something during the week and get stuck on campus. But even so, I don't think a weekend has gone by where i havn't done something new.

I'm up for new things. It's just that it seems most of my peers' idea of a "good time" is getting so messed that night up that they cannot remember what they did the next day.

Quote:

If you don't have a breadth of experiences, good and bad, you can't really have much depth of experience, because you won't have anything to compare your experiences to.

I agree. I agree with kelly when he says one of his pet peeves is someone who knocks on things even though they haven't tried them. I'll try almost everything once, almost.

Mar 25, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #66 of 129
First off, cajunchrist, I agree almost wholeheartedly -- except for the athletics part. I don't believe that sports is really self-expression -- where's the spontaneity of creation in sports? It's just a simple reaction to a set of simple rules and other players on the court who are following the rules.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Not bloody likely -- it's all been done. Every note's been played, most chords captured and identified.

It's not like there's a new species waiting to be discovered.

Oh, sure, you might find someone like Zia -- a combination I bet you haven't heard before, she writes most of her stuff in 10 and 13 tone scales.

But those are becoming harder and harder to find. Better to just give up.

I'm not sure if I'm right (I'm no music historian) but that seems to be what people have been saying all along. Who in the 1920s or 1930s would have thought that someone like Miles Davis could revolutionize jazz to the extent that he did? Who could have seen the emergence of atonal "classical" music as an accepted medium for musical expression in the mid-nineteenth century?

I think there's lots of great new music being made. A little while ago I posted about a CD I had bought on a whim from amazon.fr by a Polish pianist, Bojan Zulfikarpasic, called Solobsession. I wouldn't say it's genius, but I've really never heard a solo jazz piano album like it. Okay, my experience isn't so extensive, but all the time I see new recordings of the old greats, new jazz artists, and even some new composers.

As for rock and techno -- what do you expect? It's a pop culture that feeds off anti-pop-culture popular sentiment. You have ridiculously unoriginal and uncreative ear-bleeders everywhere. I wouldn't be looking for the next Beatles in this environment -- or Floyd, Zeppelin, or the Who for that matter. That's why I don't really listen to any modern pop recordings -- whether it's officially labeled "pop" or not. Stick with the classics!

Mar 25, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #67 of 129
So Dan
which is growing?
The appreciation of 'classics' or the consumption of bubble gum
music.

Suppose more to the point which is easier to sell to a modern
audience and has more profit potential?

Hell, er what was the film.....Demolition Man.. thats it.
There was a scene in that where the characters were sat in a car
listening to the old classics of yesteryear........Advertising jingles
all of 30 seconds long.

Now that made me chuckle or is it LOL..hehe.

Setmenu
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #69 of 129
If it was like that today, I'd most definately be one of the underground rebels. Meat - gasoline powered vehicles - physical intercourse with opposite sex - curses - good music - variety of foods - violent entertainment - etc , can't live without them!

Mar 25, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #70 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
If it was like that today, I'd most definately be one of the underground rebels. Meat - gasoline powered vehicles - physical intercourse with opposite sex - curses - good music - variety of foods - violent entertainment - etc , can't live without them!

You mean you would not miss those 'sea shells'!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Setmenu

Mar 26, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #72 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist

If you don't have a breadth of experiences, good and bad, you can't really have much depth of experience, because you won't have anything to compare your experiences to.

Yes and no. I don't disagree with your statement.

The other edge of this sword is that once you've experienced something, you can't very well "unexperience" it later. Looking back, there are things I've seen and heard that I'd have been better off not having seen and heard, but now they're with me forever. Many bad experiences you can learn from and move on. Some you can't.

Discretion about what one elects to experience, when one has a choice, is important.

Mar 26, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #73 of 129
Quote:

I don't see why I should experience something that's bad when I know it's bad. Or why I shouldn't only experience good things in life, even though that never happens. I think zowie put it best when he said some experiences can't be undone, and to choose wisely.

It also depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to live. Some people just want to live in peace and solitude, and I say let them be.

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #75 of 129
Agreed w/ zowie and Vert on the experiences thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back