Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jan 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #631 of 1,413
Had a chance to sample the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  Absolutely delicious bourbon.  Not quite at the Pappy 15 or Stagg level, but not far behind.  Very intense woody flavor with a ton of caramel and minty finish.  I don't know the price, but believe it's quite a bit lower than the other two mentioned.  Cheers -
RCBinTN

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #632 of 1,413
  I was never a big fan of Jack Daniels until my mother-in-law brought me back a bottle of "Silver Select" single barrel from the Caribbean. That was delicious stuff, but apparently only sold outside of the US, which is weird. I'm guessing the Barrel Proof and the newer Single Barrel are similar profiles. I had the Single Barrel at a friends house recently and thought it was pretty good.

Currently sipping on the some Four Roses single barrel. When on sale in the low $30's, it a typically a darn good pour.

Thanks for the JD info.  I also enjoy their Single Barrel (especially certain barrels) and you can't go wrong with the Four Roses single barrel :).

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #634 of 1,413
  I need to dig the bottle out that I got last year and try it again. From memory it was a little too hot on the tongue and not very balanced. How are you drinking yours RCBinTN? Hopefully mine has mellowed since it has been open almost a year.

Hi santacore,
I just have a little experience with the Craig.

My technique was:  First - sippin' style, like the distiller tasters do it, from a small glass.  Go really slow - my bottle states 133.2 proof.  You get a good feel for the wood and spice taste.  BTW, my nickname is "old leather tongue."

Then, a couple ice cubes in a small rocks glass, let the ice melt 1/2 way before tasting.  Opens up the rest of the flavor and cuts the slam of the proof.  Can also substitute good-quality water for the ice, so the bourbon stays warm.

Now - try yours and send impressions - love this thread :).

Cheers -
RCB

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #635 of 1,413
Hey santacore,
With all that killer equipment you have, are you considering a Yggy DAC?

Just wondering - 
RCB

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #636 of 1,413
Ha, I'm very content with my Auralic Vega DAC. Stopped looking for DAC's....always looking for Bourbon......

My drinking technique is similar to yours. Try it straight out of a Glencairn type glass. If the whiskey is too strong add some spring water or a cube or two of good ice. Lately I've been going back and forth with Slaughterhouse and Straight Edge whiskey, thanks to a tip from mrscotchguy.

Today I picked a 3 yr Willett Rye. Excited to try this release since it's one of their first that they actually distilled and aged. I also splurged on a bottle of barrel proof Michters Rye. Hopefully that one is worth the cash.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #637 of 1,413
  Ha, I'm very content with my Auralic Vega DAC. Stopped looking for DAC's....always looking for Bourbon......

My drinking technique is similar to yours. Try it straight out of a Glencairn type glass. If the whiskey is too strong add some spring water or a cube or two of good ice. Lately I've been going back and forth with Slaughterhouse and Straight Edge whiskey, thanks to a tip from mrscotchguy.

Today I picked a 3 yr Willett Rye. Excited to try this release since it's one of their first that they actually distilled and aged. I also splurged on a bottle of barrel proof Michters Rye. Hopefully that one is worth the cash.

Cool stuff.  Maybe try an Old Fashioned with the 3-yr Willet Rye - might turn out to be quite good.
Didn't mean to imply your Vega wasn't a great DAC - I actually read your sources backward...but there aren't a ton of BHA-1 owners and Wywires Red folks out there, like you and me :).

beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #639 of 1,413
  Hi santacore,
I just have a little experience with the Craig.

My technique was:  First - sippin' style, like the distiller tasters do it, from a small glass.  Go really slow - my bottle states 133.2 proof.  You get a good feel for the wood and spice taste.  BTW, my nickname is "old leather tongue."

Then, a couple ice cubes in a small rocks glass, let the ice melt 1/2 way before tasting.  Opens up the rest of the flavor and cuts the slam of the proof.  Can also substitute good-quality water for the ice, so the bourbon stays warm.

Now - try yours and send impressions - love this thread :).

Cheers -
RCB

For whisky, I have a bottle of filtered tapwater (or sometimes mineral water) in the fridge, and just add a dash to the dram before drinking. Very occasionally, I use a little soda water instead. The effervescence makes for a slightly different experience, with the bubbles increasing the aroma released. 

I use a big balloon wine glass. Again, this is good for the aroma.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #641 of 1,413
Hey y'all, what is a Glencairn glass?  Does it improve the taste of the bourbon / whisky / whiskey?

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #643 of 1,413
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #644 of 1,413
The glass can definitely help. I bought mine when I was coming off Scotch and just getting into Bourbon. Works for both. I usually use the Glencairn glass for lower proof spirits and a low ball style glass for higher proof. Sometimes the smaller neck on the Glencairn can make the aroma just a bit too concentrated. All that said, I wouldn't turn down a pour of any good whiskey in a Ball jar.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #645 of 1,413
If you can find one, the Woodford Reserve holiday gift sets come with one of these (with WR branding, of course). I got a pair last holiday season. I don't always use them, but they are nice to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back