1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi

First

Back
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
Next

Last
  1. CFGamescape
    Have these two that my pops brought over from Japan. From now on, all my whiskey must have samurai armor.

image.jpg

RCBinTN likes this.
  2. RCBinTN
    Thank you all.  From the input on this thread, I decided to order some Glencairn glasses, and today snagged a bottle of Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof from my local store.  My barrel is 129.0 proof, I sampled one pour and it's a decent whiskey.  A huge vanilla note in the aroma, very smooth finish for a 129 proof whiskey.  

Can't technically call it bourbon (?) or can I, but whatever it is, it beats all varieties of Jack that I've ever sampled.  Was about $65 so probably not in the commodity retail stream.

3. speedster2333
    Hey Dick,

Those are great glasses, just received 8 for Christmas and make a huge difference on the nose.

4. RCBinTN

Hey Dan, how the heck are ya?  Did you buy the LCD-X yet..or saving up for the LCD-4?

Thx for the tip - I ordered four from Amazon, think they're made by Stolzle.  
    I didn't peg you for a whisk(e)y drinker.  We should hook up on that some day :).

Cheers -
    Dick

5. speedster2333
    I'm great, sold my hd700 and bought wildcatsare1 (kevin)  jerg modded he-560 and ordered a Norne Audio Cable.  The lcd-x is still on my list, just wish they were lighter.

I'm relatively new to whiskey but my interests are far and wide.
    Currently have Glenmorangie 18, Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt NAS, Macallan 17 Fine Oak, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Balvenie 12 Single Barrel, and Balvenie 21 Portwood.

I'm always down for going out and grabbing a drink.

6. RCBinTN
    Well, thanks y'all for the ideas, I received my Glencairn glasses today and they do indeed make a world of difference with the whisk(e)y experience.  Amazing how the shape of a glass can have such an effect.  It's all positive, and I'm enjoying the bourbon more tonight than in the past.  

[​IMG]
    RCBinTN

santacore likes this.
  7. PalJoey
    Interesting whisky tasting on Channel 4's 'Sunday Brunch' today, including a Bruichladdich whisky called 'Octomore', which has been winning awards despite being only 5 years old.
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bruichladdich/bruichladdich-octomore-06-point-3-islay-barley-whisky/

8. mrscotchguy
  9. shane55

Well then... sounds like I'm going to have to visit them when I'm out there.
    And look for a bottle while home.

10. Jayhawk785
    I grabbed a bottle of wild turkey diamond -- I collect whiskey/bourbon/scotch - the reviewer notes that it's not exceptional: http://www.breakingbourbon.com/wild-turkey-diamond-anniversary.html

11. bfreedma

I like the recently released Wild Turkey Master's Keep quite a bit more than the Diamond release.  Give it a try if you get the chance.

Didn't like either as much as the Elijah Craig 21, though I do hold some hard feelings over EC pulling the 18 which could be had for $60 and then releasing the 21 for $150.  Tried the EC 23 recently and thought it was had spent too much time in oak.  As much as I love collecting and that brand, I'm not sure I'm dropping what it would take to acquire a bottle.

12. bfreedma
    I picked this up in NYC a few weeks ago.  Definitely the only Tasmanian whisky in my collection.

IMG_0326.jpg

Lark is a Tasmanian distillery and this is their single single release.  It's relatively young, with the only age statement being 5-8 years, but it's aged in 100 liter quarter casks (oak) which accelerates the maturation.  I like it - it drinks like a 15 year old with light peat and quite a bit of vanilla on the nose, palate, and finish.  Probably most similar to Speyside or Highland whisky in smokiness and flavor profile.

I'd never seen it before, but who knows, maybe our Aussie members are drinking it by the case.

13. Jayhawk785
    I'm currently working on these... I'll have to check out the Masters version.

IMG_0684.jpg

14. Jayhawk785
    I dont think I've seen this in the stores in orlando--Ill keep an eye out.

15. bfreedma

Nice!  How do you like the Bowman?

First

Back
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
Next

Last