Which will be a better bet? CK10/SE425/UMX3/DBA02
May 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

throzen0303

100+ Head-Fier
After reading many reviews of both, I am not sure what I should go for.
I know it's a step down, I just sold my SM3, since I don't quite like his sound signature.
I am looking for IEM with high level of detail, energatic treble, sounding clean and clear overall.

I used to own a pair of TF10, don't quite like the muddy mids even after i got silver cable for it.
I like the SM3 but the soundstage makes the vocal abit weird to my hearing, also the detail is not as pronounced as i hoped.
What about the Westone 2/3? or UMX2/3? SE425? CK10?
What else can I get under $300, (don't mind used)
Clarity and detail is first, then mids, then bass.
treble needs to be well extended, the DBA-02 seems to be unbeatable for it's price.

iPhone 3GS(might upgrade to J3 after), unamp, Apple lossless/320k

any advice? Thank you.

May 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 46
It looks like you're barking up the right tree... the DBA-02 seems to tick the boxes for you. Of course, when you talk about the DBA-02, you've got to talk about the CK10 (although I haven't heard it myself). The moving armature IEMs also give great clarity and detail. The eQ-7 was great when I listened to it, and the GR10 was very transparent and detailed. However, these are products >$300; you may want to look at the eQ-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throzen0303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am looking for IEM with high level of detail, energatic treble, sounding clean and clear overall.

Clarity and detail is first, then mids, then bass.
treble needs to be well extended, the DBA-02 seems to be unbeatable for it's price.

May 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 46
I also tried the GR8, I got a review of it, I like the detail, but over feels abit...less value for $$, doesn't come with case or anything, part from the replacement filters and 3size tips.

May 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 46
haven't heard the 425 (hated the 420), but the 535 is great. but for your budget and your needs, it sounds like the DBA-02 is the way to go. They haven't disappointed me so far. I had never been a fan of super-extended highs, preferring warmish highs until the DBA-02. The low end isn't going to compare to the TF10, but it's there and will come out when necessary. Detail is amongst the highest of all IEMs I've ever tried. It brings out detail from low to high, with the upper mids and highs sounding almost too detailed, like the sound was 'oversharpened'. That's actually one criticism I have for it, and I never thought I'd ever subtract points on the basis of an IEM being tooSUBMIT detailed sounding.

May 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 46

Quote:
sorry i don't know how the 'submit' button got in there, lol

HAHAHA how in the world?! I've never witnessed that happen before XD!

Anyways, I would say it's a pretty tough call, but, personally, would go with the TF10s. I think the SM3 are more in the "balanced" variety of IEMs (?). So, if you like the sound of a balanced/warm IEM with not nearly as weird a sound stage as the SM3, I think you should go with the TF10s. Sorry, but I am unable to comment on the DBA-02 as I have not been able to test them out.

May 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 46
You've already gone through the TF10, I don't see any reason why you should go back to it if you already disqualified it before for muddy mids. Best to pick up the DBA-02 and explore new worlds.

May 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #15 of 46
Too bad the SM3 didn't work out for you. But I much prefer the DBA's to the SM3's. The problem is the fit is a pain to get properly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back