Which sounds better?
Aug 29, 2009 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fred smith

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have the Sennheiser hd485 cans and i was wondering if they sound better or worse than any of the skullcandy headphones. I just want to know if the sound quality is better on the sennheisers or if its better on skullcandy.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 16
It is highly unlikely that Skullcandy has ever produced a headphone that would outstrip a widely trusted/heralded brand like Sennheiser, etc. They specialize in "looks" although I'd be hard-pressed to say that SC has ever produced anything aesthetically palatable. Look around these forums... there are many better options, including the Senn's (although I have not yet heard the HD485's). Check the useful "sticky" at the top of the full-size headphones forum: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...ewbies-419349/. Plenty of help in there! Welcome to Head-fi!

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 16
Just to echo/reinforce what's already been said, the SkullCandy headphone line attracts consumers mainly by looks, and not sound quality. I have heard mixed reviews, but generally those whom I have talked to describe the bass as nonexistent, and VERY flat. At least on the "skullcrusher" model, which is supposed to be fairly heavy in the low end. I can only imagine how their other 'phones sound, considering the SkullCrushers are some of their most expensive.

Stay away.

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fred smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have the Sennheiser hd485 cans and i was wondering if they sound better or worse than any of the skullcandy headphones. I just want to know if the sound quality is better on the sennheisers or if its better on skullcandy.

Definitely better on the Sennheisers, especially at equal price points. The Skullcandy headphones generally sound very uneven.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Skullcandy is a fad, a fashion statement, nothing more. You'd be better of buying Apple IEM's than any of their cans.

I do agree with the guys who say this...
They are just looks...poor quality. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 16
lol you asked the wrong question here on head-fi.  people here hate skullcandy.  but anything with a sennheiser name is indeed better.  skullcandy mainly is looks, but i have their 10 dollar earbuds from amazon and i think they are great for my mp3 player for the price.  they are very small profile and are so much more comfortable than the hard plastic earbuds you usually get.  other than that, i've tried a pair of full size skullcandy headphones and they were total junk.  but yeah, anything with the sennheiser name is going to beat the skullcandies.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 16
Sep 8, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 16
As a salesperson who sells both products, I'd recommend aiming toward the Sennheisers as their build quality tends to be of higher standard than Skullcandy, which I have countless pairs coming back to my store broken through regular use or abuse within 30 days where I can't recall seeing a single pair of even low-end Sennheisers being returned with a similar issue.

If you have serious doubts about what you would like more, I'd recommend swinging by your local big box store, like Best Buy, trying the headphones, returning them within the return policy (there is no restock fee if you have all included accessories) and then making your decision based on the time spent with them. If Best Buy doesn't have them on sale, then I'd recommend looking elsewhere for the final purchase as they usually sell headphones for MSRP.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
You should try the aviators they are a cheaper price yet great sound.

Sennheiser HD485s are $80. Aviators are like $150. They aren't that cheap for the quality that you get

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 16
Its funny how Skull Candy headphones are designed for looks even though their "look" is absolutely ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back