Which should I get: The ATH-M50s, the Ultrasone HFI 580, or the DJ1 pros?
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Robeto

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post here after a long delay in registering on the site (for some reason the registration page was bugged at my home).

I have been looking at three headphones (M50, HFI-580, and the DJ1 Pros) for the last three days as they are my first step up in the audio world as I am just upgrading from a small pair of (nearly broken) sony earbuds and I haven't had my own set of full size headphones before?

I have looked at reviews for all three of these and they are so mixed that I have literally been stunted in making a decision on which ones to buy for myself.

From what I can gather I will make the following summaries (and questions) about the headphones:

ATH-M50: These are a good set of bass headphones with slightly recessed mids (would I notice this as a non-audiophile purchasing my first set of headphones?) with outstanding build quality and comfort (as well as looks from what I gather in personal opinion). Apparently the bass gets "muddy" as well?

Ultrasone HFI-580: These maintain a (slightly) better sound quality than the M50s and are also noted as a great pair of bass cans with better sound quality than the M50s (could someone explain to me HOW great the difference is between these cans sound quality is because this is probably one of the biggest factors for me). As well these apparently are of slightly lesser build quality? One of the things I dislike about these is the metal caps around the cups as I plan on using these headphones to be portable (on the odd occasion), does anyone have any experience with these and would mind letting me know how these fare as far as wear and tear goes? I wasn't interested in the DJ1s because of the coil cord.

DJ1 Pro: A "rebrand" of the HFI-780? Don't have a great deal of info about these but I thought they looked rather poor in terms of build quality so I really was just going to rule it out but it has the detachable cables which I suppose might be handy, how is the sound quality on these?

I also looked at the phillips uptown but I do not want those at all, or the couple of v-modas I looked at.

So I was just wondering if you guys could settle this internal debate for me? I don't need sites to purchase from just some sort of final verdict (if so, why?) pertaining to the questions I asked above.

Thanks guys

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 15
are you a basshead?  The m-50's bass is terrible.  The Creative Aurvana Live beats it and sounds better, to my ears at least.

If bass is your goal you might check out Sony MDR-XB500 and save yourself a hunk of cash.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 15
Not really, I am just looking for slightly accentuated bass with overall good sound quality. I like sort of bass oriented genres (such as the dub and electro) but my music listening varies quite a bit and I did have a look at the XB's but seems like the quality on those wasn't too good.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
You can try out the GMP 8.35.

That is WAY out of my price range, sorry.

I really just want these for home use with the occasional outing with them, so I want them to be fairly balanced with slightly accentuated bass with high build quality. Mostly (as I stated in OP) I will be listening to genres like Dubstep, EDM, and Electro but I also listen to a fair amount of other genres such as rock and sometimes pop (not really that much).

From the OP, I am no longer looking at the DJ1 pros but I would like input on both the M50s and the 580s/Dj1s

Could you kind people tell me the exact differences that you have found with both of these headphones (one sided views will need to be justified) in sound quality and build quality as I have heard the sound stage and mids are slightly better on the 580s (could someone explain or justify this with an example) and that the M50s maintain a higher build quality?

(Isolation is not as important)

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 15
I like the M-50s. I know they have fallen out of style here recently, and at the ~ $150 they often are sold at now I can understand why. My M-50s, however get more use than my HFI-780s, which are going up on the FS forums here soon (The 780s are too V shaped, and have too harsh of a treble for my taste). My girlfriend also prefers her M-50s to the 780s in sound and comfort.

Side note, I just noticed that you said you listen to dub and electro. IMO the HFI-780s are randomly some of the best headphones I have heard with dubstep... :)

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the reply! I have heard a few bad things about the 780s and I hadn't really considered them, but would you have any advice on the style of the 580s and the metal on the cups? As well do you have any input on the Vmoda Crossfade LP?

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 15
I have not heard the crossfade LPs or the HFI-580s, so I cannot comment on their sound quality. The HFI-580 has the same build and appearance as the HFI-780 does. I personally feel that the M-50 seem to be built a bit sturdier, and to me it is more comfortable as well . I have not had any problems with the durability of either though. Style is subjective...I personally feel the the Ultrasones and the M-50s are both nice looking headphones. The back of the cups on the ultrasones can get a bit scuffed up, but if you take reasonable care of them I don't think you will have much of a problem (at least one that is visible beyond careful inspection). Good luck!

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 15
I have decided to go with the M50 (please do not try to change my mind I have spent 4 days on this crap) but I am now at another impasse: To buy straight, or coiled cable?

I like to tuck my headphone wire under my tshirt and pop it out so there is less cable hanging all over for me to swing my hand and catch it. For this style of wearing would I be better just braiding a straight cable and having the extra length when needed, or should I go with the coiled? As well does this make a difference in sound quality?

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 15
The straight cable on the M50s is quite long. Not sure how long the coiled is, but I imagine it's much shorter. There should be no difference in sound quality between the two. Get whichever you think would be more convenient. Hope you like the M50!

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 15
Oh, Just a heads up. I don't know where you're planning on getting these from, but amazon has the straight cable M-50s for $111 and the coiled for $119 right now, which definitely beats the $160 a lot of places are selling them for...

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 15
I think the Ultrasones have the best build quality at that price.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Oh, Just a heads up. I don't know where you're planning on getting these from, but amazon has the straight cable M-50s for $111 and the coiled for $119 right now, which definitely beats the $160 a lot of places are selling them for...

The order is under away! I got the straight cable, as for Amazon they don't really ship to Australia so I unfortunately had to buy them for the $160 but I am happy nonetheless.

Quote:
I think the Ultrasones have the best build quality at that price.

I shall refer you to my previous post regarding "don't try to change my mind, I spent four days on this crap". I do appreciate the input however I do believe that the M50s have the 1-up on build quality in this scenario.

Anywho, thread closed and I shall never return here for fear of my wallet.

See you all later.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 15
Wasn't trying to change your mind. I just don't know why anyone would fault their build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back