Which of these Sennheisers would suit me the best
Jul 19, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 48
Thanks alot for all of your responses. This insanity :) started with me wanting to get a soundcard for my computer and from there I read about this "sacred world" of sound that I so much want to be a part of. I am thankful for all the help I have recieved here and I will continue read all of your responses.
Hi. Not sure which way you are going but i heard the hd58x alongside tge hd6xx last night at a friend’s place and there is definitely a step (or 1/2 step) up going from the hd58x to hd6xx for $50. Basically in sound quality in terms of space and naturalness. He thought so too and he owns over 20 headphones and has owned more.

When looking at amps and dacs also keep in mind the schiit modi/magni combo. I started with the 02 and odac (from jds labs) and that was fine. The n combo has more power and the amp is a little on the brighter side that should work well with something like the hd6xx.

I heard it with some more expensive audeze lcdx and it drive them really well for that price.

But I’m not hugely versed with options in dacs and amps at that price to offer other ideas.

By the way i started down this rabbit hole by looking fir replacement “ear cushions” for my koss “the plug” in ear headphones that i has for years. The plug sells for $50. I them found the athm50x (cnet review) and headfi
And $10000 later hear i am

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 48
the amp is a little on the brighter side that should work well with something like the hd6xx.

I dont think the HD6xx needs a boost in the highs,at all. Theyre def brighter to my ears than the old school HD650s of years past,and their legendary dark/veiled reputation.
YMMV.

I was wandering around a mall with my buddy in Bangkok and stopped into headphone shop to check out the hype behind Beats. I found them to sound horrid. Only then did I discover a thing called a dedicated headphone amp(how outrageous)...5 years,3 continents,thirty headphones,and tons of cash later,here I am.

Stare too long into the headphone abyss.and the headphone abyss will stare back at you:smiling_imp:

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #18 of 48
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 48
If you listen to a lot of AC DC, you want the 58x. Same with Journey imo. Queen I'd be somewhat on the fence about, but I'd probably still roll with the 58x. 650 if you want a more relaxing, laid back, kinda just chill to the music type of experience. They may have a bigger stage, but I don't think that's too incredibly important with rock. 58x if you want a bit more of an aggressive sound that never oversteps. I simply can't listen to AC DC on the 650 after acquiring the 58x

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #20 of 48
In the OP I just gave examples of music that I like, not necessary music that I listen to alot. Right now I listen to Rihanna and... yea that's it :cold_sweat: But my listening preferences shift with time alot. At christmas I spam Mariah Carey and Wham!, some swedish stuff etc. I LOVE some opera songs. For example Pavarotti singing Ave Maria! Brightmans duo with Bocelli. I don't really keep to a specific genre but instead I just listen to music I like, whether it's rock, pop or opera. As of the presence, I have settled in on the 6xx. It didnt look like the hd58x was there and I dont want to wait for so long. I am already waiting like 2.5 months for that pair to arrive :triportsad: But on the good side I will save some serious money, depite all the taxes and customs. :)

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 48
Yep 650’s would not pick for AC/DC just threw on the Grado RS1’s out of the iPad and they did the trick just great crunch on the guitars.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #22 of 48
Given your unbiased listening tastes (I don't see any country in there, and I get down with a little Wham from time to time), you probably made the right decision.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #23 of 48
Wham is OK but George Michael’s “Faith “ is just awesome like Princes’ “ Kiss” stripped down and to the point great songs.

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #24 of 48
All this talk of Rhiannon and Wham and Pavarotti is making me feel the need to go listen to some Lemmy to cleanse myself.

EDIT:
I actually liked George Michael's solo stuff. The only person I wouldve accepted as Freddie Mercury's replacement.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #26 of 48
Still great tunes but have to hear some Megadeth .

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 48
All this talk of Rhiannon and Wham and Pavarotti is making me feel the need to go listen to some Lemmy to cleanse myself.

EDIT:
I actually liked George Michael's solo stuff. The only person I wouldve accepted as Freddie Mercury's replacement.
I’m not necessarily a fan of motorhead as such but i have recentky found there version of sympathy for the devil and that is fantastic. A great choice

I could never hear how anyone could replace freddie. Noone that i’ve heard.

And nothing wrong with a bit of george michael. Let’s not forget that in “club Tropicana, drinks are freeeeee”

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #28 of 48

EDIT:
Damn that would be good Paul Rodgers didn’t do it for me but will have to hear Adam Lambert he does have the voice.

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #29 of 48
Damn that would be good Paul Rodgers didn’t do it for me but will have to hear Adam Lambert he does have the voice.
I’ll have a listen when i get a chance

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #30 of 48
I’m not necessarily a fan of motorhead as such but i have recentky found there version of sympathy for the devil and that is fantastic. A great choice
I was first exposed to Motorhead back in 1980 by this British kid who moved to my neighborhood. He put on the Ace of Spades album(one of the greatest albums ever made) and as soon as Lemmy started singing I said"What is this schiit?!?
He is def an acquired taste. I own over 40 Motorhead albums,and actually wept when he passed.
Their version of Heroes by Bowie is also excellent.

I could never hear how anyone could replace freddie. Noone that i’ve heard.

Agreed.freddie was def a once in a lifetime talent,but I felt GM had the voice and cred to come close,def better than Paul Rogers and without a doubt better than that talentless hack they have now.

RIP Lemmy & Freddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back