which of the following DAC's is the best by audio and built quality
Nov 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Deicide3

New Head-Fier
i'm looking for a dac for my headphones, and i know that amp will be overkill for them.
so i decided to buy a cheap DAC that will improve the sound and my enjoyment of my music.

so far i've found these dac's but dident find any review about the sound and built quality.
Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC,
Musiland Monitor 01 US 2012,
SMSL SD-1955,
SMSL SD-793II.

if there is a better option can you tell me about it?
also the headphones are shure srh840.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Well you're asking a question in a small forum, about an even smaller portion (especially among people who like high end audio, and thus won't have experience with these). Be patient, no need to be an ****** after less than a day.

As far as I know, at least one of those (likely more of them) don't have any volume control, and using digital volume control will reduce audio quality because of the way it works (windows volume, in player volume, etc) so you'd likely want to get an amp as well.

Take a look at the FiiO E10.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I'm looking for a DAC for my headphones, and i know that amp will be overkill for them.
so i decided to buy a cheap DAC that will improve the sound and my enjoyment of my music.
so far i've found these DAC's but didn't find any review about the sound and built quality.
Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC,
Musiland Monitor 01 US 2012,
SMSL SD-1955,
SMSL SD-793II.
if there is a better option can you tell me about it?
also the headphones are shure srh840.

I would say to stay away from SMSL,
My SD-1955 has hardly been used and stopped working.
My SD-793II has not worked at all.
The Hifimediy Sabre and Musiland Monitor are DACs only, not really for driving headphones on their own.

I would say to get the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 5
You should probably also mention your budget because in between the $100 and $300 the options available increase greatly. If you're looking for a combined DAC/Headphone AMP then you should take a look at the Audinst HUD-mini as well. Pretty compact and combines what it seems to me you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back