Which music player and why?
post-15440758
Post #1 of 4

Steve Guppy

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm currently an avid fan of Neutron, having switched from PowerAMP a year or two ago. I started off with cheap in-ears plugged straight into my phone, and have gradually progressed to a dedicated dac/amp feeding good iem's via a 2.5mm balanced connection.
But reading through various posts here at Head-Fi, it seems that the player UAPP seems to be the most popular with regards to phone>dac usage.
Now I'm a bit confused as to why. I A>B'd the two back-to-back, and found them to sound almost identical, but with UAPP suffering thinner, less weighty bass with the two EQ'd as identically as i could.
Also, i find the PEQ on Neutron to be far more in-depth and intuitive than the various (why?) different offerings from UAPP. The EQ only option is basic at best, the morphit one just gimmicky and the tone boosters function .... 6 frequencies only? It's all too convoluted.
I can understand using UAPP if you use no eq at all. It is a far more pleasing UI. And looks nicer and cleaner. But at the end of the day, we listen to music with our ears. So if, like me, you like a bit of EQ action, fellow Head-Fi'ers, explain to me what I'm missing?
And by all means share your own preferred music player and why.

post-15441037
Post #2 of 4

exitfire401

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
In all honesty, it doesn't matter. Just depends on what UI and EQ you like best. You're not missing anything. They're mostly all the same. And I'm probably going to get some hate for this.

Reactions: Steve Guppy
post-15441152
Post #3 of 4

buonassi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Uapp streams tidal qobuz etc. Neutron doesn't. This and user interface are main reasons users gravitate to uapp.

That said I own both, but prefer neutron for PEQ and 64 bit processing quality of local files. Hands down.

post-15441448
Post #4 of 4

Steve Guppy

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
In all honesty, it doesn't matter. Just depends on what UI and EQ you like best. You're not missing anything. They're mostly all the same. And I'm probably going to get some hate for this.
This was my personal conclusion. Although the paid for apps, in my own opinion, offer a more extensive, more customizable, dare i say, more audiophile level of player. At the end of the day, I am someone who likes to tinker, lol :-D

Uapp streams tidal qobuz etc. Neutron doesn't. This and user interface are main reasons users gravitate to uapp.

That said I own both, but prefer neutron for PEQ and 64 bit processing quality of local files. Hands down.
This is what i thought was going to be the reason for the UAPP preference. But it's reassuring to have another confirm this. I guess im old-skool, and like to buy my music in the best possible format (16 bit flac minimum), and rarely buy more than an album a month, which generally works out the same as most subscriptions, just with better quality files at the end of the day. And the ability to move it around from devices using different players and systems.
I have to say though, i felt that PowerAMP sounded veiled after switching to Neutron (something i didn't realise before, obviously), but PA has by far the best interface out there, customizable to your hearts content. So i guess its horses-for-courses. Maybe @Hawaiibadboy would care to chip in. As a long time fan his YT channel, I've noticed that he started off with Neutron, moved to UAPP, and has dabbled with PA recently, so would be perfectly placed to highlight the pros and cons of each. Sorry for the novel!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)