Which music player and why?
Jan 27, 2020 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Steve Guppy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently an avid fan of Neutron, having switched from PowerAMP a year or two ago. I started off with cheap in-ears plugged straight into my phone, and have gradually progressed to a dedicated dac/amp feeding good iem's via a 2.5mm balanced connection.
But reading through various posts here at Head-Fi, it seems that the player UAPP seems to be the most popular with regards to phone>dac usage.
Now I'm a bit confused as to why. I A>B'd the two back-to-back, and found them to sound almost identical, but with UAPP suffering thinner, less weighty bass with the two EQ'd as identically as i could.
Also, i find the PEQ on Neutron to be far more in-depth and intuitive than the various (why?) different offerings from UAPP. The EQ only option is basic at best, the morphit one just gimmicky and the tone boosters function .... 6 frequencies only? It's all too convoluted.
I can understand using UAPP if you use no eq at all. It is a far more pleasing UI. And looks nicer and cleaner. But at the end of the day, we listen to music with our ears. So if, like me, you like a bit of EQ action, fellow Head-Fi'ers, explain to me what I'm missing?
And by all means share your own preferred music player and why.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 19
In all honesty, it doesn't matter. Just depends on what UI and EQ you like best. You're not missing anything. They're mostly all the same. And I'm probably going to get some hate for this.
This was my personal conclusion. Although the paid for apps, in my own opinion, offer a more extensive, more customizable, dare i say, more audiophile level of player. At the end of the day, I am someone who likes to tinker, lol :-D

Uapp streams tidal qobuz etc. Neutron doesn't. This and user interface are main reasons users gravitate to uapp.

That said I own both, but prefer neutron for PEQ and 64 bit processing quality of local files. Hands down.

This is what i thought was going to be the reason for the UAPP preference. But it's reassuring to have another confirm this. I guess im old-skool, and like to buy my music in the best possible format (16 bit flac minimum), and rarely buy more than an album a month, which generally works out the same as most subscriptions, just with better quality files at the end of the day. And the ability to move it around from devices using different players and systems.
I have to say though, i felt that PowerAMP sounded veiled after switching to Neutron (something i didn't realise before, obviously), but PA has by far the best interface out there, customizable to your hearts content. So i guess its horses-for-courses. Maybe @Hawaiibadboy would care to chip in. As a long time fan his YT channel, I've noticed that he started off with Neutron, moved to UAPP, and has dabbled with PA recently, so would be perfectly placed to highlight the pros and cons of each. Sorry for the novel!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 19
I've tried usb player pro, neutron, hiby , tidal app and two three players I did forget. I would say , usb player pro and neutron (both paid program) have a color sound , a lot of features (eq etc.) . They sound quite similar. If I have to choose one I would take usb player pro cuz it includes tidal mqa capability. I think you shoud install hiby and tidal app too, because I think they sound more flat. Hiby has a better sound stage better seperation compared to usb player pro and neutron. But Hiby sound obviously brighter. Actually I use hiby when I listen to albums which are well recorded and use neutron or usb player pro with other albums.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 19
I prefer the character of uapp on my Hiby by a little. I agree Hiby native app sounds a touch more open but Uapp has a solid, less ethereal quality that I appreciate. Of course this will also depend on the character of the player in question. I do not find Uapp colored, any more than other players. Lack of normal color or a bit polite in presentation is also a coloration and none will be perfect. Between the Hiby player and Uapp, don't see what else would be needed. Maybe with other IEMs, I'll prefer Hiby App.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 19
im new to all of this, i confusion is i own LG v20 V40 and Lg G8x all with dacs, but android or apps bypasses all. I have my own local files and i use Spotify.

my question is which app is best used with Spotify and local files?

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 19
I've just installed Neutron on both my iBasso's. I selected it because of its amazing EQ and PEQ and I don't stream, so don't need UAPP. My question, tho: how many use a stylus with their music players? I'd been having a devil of a time using my fingers with Mango Player's parametric equalizer, and frequently knocked adjacent points out of position. So, I figured to go with a capacitance stylus for PEQ work. Almost seems like a necessity to me. Others?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 19
I highly doubt you'll miss out on anything if you're already using Neutron, I use it for my local queues, it took me months to get used to it but I've finally set everything up to my tast. Its functions such as normalization, profiles, highly configurable without a doubt, honestly ion think it has a rival.

On the other hand, if you like to stream UAPP services, it's good for you, if you don't like to move around a lot, a negative point is not that it's not configurable like Neutron, but thats for the price it comes Extra DPS on purchases, if you don't care about money, go ahead.

One of the best things about UAPP I must tell you is that it has excellent customer service, making updates to requests -support, feedback, report bug- and in fact they send you private APKs solving yours drawbacks, I use it lately, but I don't consider it better than Neutron. I use both, I just can't keep one.

To finish, a viable option without spending is Hiby Music, I have found certain flaws but it is functional and with a tab that configures the parametric EQ for you.

My list would be that. 1- Neutron 2- UAPP, 3- Poweramp (For the general public) and 4- Hiby Music

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 19
I highly doubt you'll miss out on anything if you're already using Neutron, I use it for my local queues, it took me months to get used to it but I've finally set everything up to my tast. Its functions such as normalization, profiles, highly configurable without a doubt, honestly ion think it has a rival.

On the other hand, if you like to stream UAPP services, it's good for you, if you don't like to move around a lot, a negative point is not that it's not configurable like Neutron, but thats for the price it comes Extra DPS on purchases, if you don't care about money, go ahead.

To finish, a viable option without spending is Hiby Music, I have found certain flaws but it is functional and with a tab that configures the parametric EQ for you.

My list would be that. 1- Neutron 2- UAPP, 3- Poweramp and 4- Hiby Music
sir i just wanna ask. is the unlocked version of poweramp capable of bypassing the android's limitation with or without dac? someone told me it cant im confused

May 9, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 19
I am just getting into android streaming DAP’s so pretty much clueless about these apps. For someone looking for streaming only Apple Music and play local files from sd card, which app is the best? I have a huge local library so 70%of my use will be via local files from the device and I’ll stream probably 30%. Is there any app that is idea for this purpose? I won’t be using any other streaming apps so any recommendations?

May 9, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 19
sir i just wanna ask. is the unlocked version of poweramp capable of bypassing the android's limitation with or without dac? someone told me it cant im confused
can avoid the limits, but you don't do bit perfect like the other 3 do

Yes, can avoid the limits using DAC, also with your cell phone if it is compatible, but it doesn't do bit perfect like the ones mentioned above. Poweramp is rather aimed at a general public, that's why its place in the list <3
For local Hiby Music it is perfect if you do not want to spend money, Poweramp the only positive point is compatible with almost all DACs, since it does not ask for USB access (not in my case, but if it detects it)

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 19
I have UAPP. I am thinking about buying the Neutron. My question is, which is the better player based on sound quality? I use it with a sending DAC in a bitperfect way. Only sound quality matters!
It's worth it, Neutron is far superior in every aspect. In this way you achieve the desired sound quality and including every possible tweak.

UAPP is not very complete, it nake spoorly recorded tracks since it does not have any type of audio processing. Be patient, it takes a little time to get used to Neutron 😁

May 17, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 19
I have UAPP. I am thinking about buying the Neutron. My question is, which is the better player based on sound quality? I use it with a sending DAC in a bitperfect way. Only sound quality matters!
The bit-perfect is identical between the two.

Neutron is with better sound quality overall however. There is upsample to DSD option, which depending on if your DAC supports it is just sounds better. Especially the higher rates 128 and 256 (note that you will need moderate good CPU for playing and with no high battery usage on the host device phone, tablet or whatever it is if on battery).

UAPP is easier to use. But once you get used to Neutron you won't go back. That's about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back