Which is the least forward Grado headphone?
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #31 of 35

Quote:
Here's what I was basing the decision on as to why I think the GS1000i might be worth a try (see graph below):

Notice how the RS1 and SR325 have mid-range peaks 2k and 4.5k Hz whereas the GS-1000 smooths those out?  I think this is why I might like the GS1000i better.  This is also similar to the 701 and HD600 that I currently use.

You're right.  The 2 kHz and 5 kHz peaks add too much of the high-mids to the presentation.  It's excessive.  I don't like it either.  The GS1000 is a much smoother ride.  Of course, if you think it's sibilant - as I did - because of the jumbos, you can always adjust with bowls.  I wore GS1000s with bowls and got lots of slam, without the sibilance, and it was great.  Personally, I'd like to see another cushion design, somewhere between the jumbos and the bowls.  That little in-between would give you more soundstage than with the bowls but ooze less bass than with the jumbos.

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #32 of 35
Well, from what many Grado users are saying, it seems that the GS1000 / GS1000i is an unpopular departure from the usual Grado "house sound."  Judging from the graph I posted, I would have to agree.  However, most folks are not saying exactly how they sound differently, but rather just say that they are different and they don't like them.  So the hopeful point of this thread was to see if the head-fi community agreed with those graphs based on their own experience.  This would suggest that the  GS1000 might sound a bit more like an pair of 701 or even HD600 only in that frequency range (2k-5k) in the sense of having a less-pronounced soprano (upper mid / lower high) frequency range.  This might actually be tolerable for me if this is correct (and that's where you guys come in).  The nice thing about the Grados that I do like is that they are very fast to respond to dynamics within a song, and as the graph suggest, the GS1000 might even have better bass than my current headphones.  So I am looking for a different, yet palatable, sound that might fill a particular niche within my small collection of phones.  I want to buy Grados, but I don't want to be disappointed again. 

Quote:
Buying a headphone soley based on a graph is a big mistake,...if the 225's hurt your ears, the GS1000 is going to be like torture.  Does anyone who has heard both those cans feel otherwise?

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #33 of 35
The best option is to take a test drive. Here's a link at the Grado web site to authorized dealers. There are a number in Florida. Perhaps there is one close to you that carries headphones.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #34 of 35

Quote:
The best option is to take a test drive. Here's a link at the Grado web site to authorized dealers. There are a number in Florida. Perhaps there is one close to you that carries headphones.

Love the Candy's Room reference in your location...classic Springsteen reference!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back