Which is the least forward Grado headphone?
Oct 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

seasterl

Head-Fier
My current headphone inventory consists of a pair of 701 and HD600 (with a cable upgrade). These cover all areas genres for me, but I was considering adding another pair as more of a specialty can to further compliment what I have already. I've tried the plain Grado 325 and RS-1 years ago, but found them too forward in presentation and consistently gave me a headache after only a few songs. With a cool company story and nice looks, I really want to love the Grados, but my ears cannot tolerate them to last even one CD. Everyone keeps saying that the GS-1000 is a departure from the other Grados, but they never say how. So looking at the Headroom graphs, which seems to be the only true independent measurement we have, I would predict that the GS-1000 would be just what I'm looking for. Can someone confirm that the newer GS-1000i would fit my needs better than those painfull 325 and RS-1? Also, does Grado make their own drivers, or does the little "i" also mean that their supplier no longer has the old drivers and that driver manufacture is now cheaply outsourced elsewhere?

My main source is the Creek CD53 with other sources being the Marantz CD17Mk2, Marantz DR17, and a Michell Gyrodec SE TT. My amp is a Sugden, and cables are Kimber Select and use Chang Lightspeed powerline filtration. Music preference is just about everything except rap.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 35
GS1000 are quite different from the rest of the Grado line except maybe PS1000. They have wider soundstage, less forward mid and high, more prominent bass than RS1 and SR325. GS1000 are also circumaural so a lot of people find them more comfortable.
They might be the most unpopular Grado ever. A lot of Grado fans don't like them. Judging by the European/English flavour of your system, I would say GS1000 is worth a try. If you don't like them, at least you know not to go anywhere near a Grado again.
According to Gradolab, the "i" versions have improved drivers and cables- www.gradolab.com

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 35
I think the GS1000 has even more treble than any other model.  It's completely unbearable.  If you thought the sr325 and RS1 were bright, stay far away from the GS1000.  The smoothest in production grado is the HF2, and that is the one I would recommend.  Not painful or harsh at all (I am also sensitive to harshness and can't listen to the RS1 or sr325 with bowl pads).  However, if you can afford it, the best Grado of all time in terms of smooth, accurate response is the discontinued HP1000.  They sometimes sell on these forums or on ebay for around 1500.  You could also try using flat pads on an sr325.  It makes the bass a bit boomy, but brings the highs down considerably.  The HF2, however is designed to sound warmer, more neutral with bowl pads.

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 35
This is one of those rare questions that has a clear and definite answer: the HF-2. 

I still feel the RS-1 is a superior overall headphone, but the sound signature of the HF-2 is more aligned with my preferences.  I prefer to use bowl pads, which is another factor that often gets glossed over in the decision making criteria. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 35
If he cannot listen to RS1 and 325 for more than a few songs, chances are he won't like HF-2 either. HF-2 are different from those two phones but still unmistakenly a Grado. Some even feel that HF-2 are close to 325 in sound signature. For someone who dislike RS1 and SR325 so much, you think he will fall in love with HF-2? I am not so sure.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
Thanks, Roy_Jones, but I didn't see the HF-2 on Grado's site. Are the made by Entymolic??

Hahaha, let me step in and clarify. First of all, it's Etymotic. If you think Grados are too forward, you'll hate Etymotic's IEMs.

The 'HF' in the HF-2s stands for "Head-Fi." They were a limited production model designed especially for the Head-Fi community. I'm not too keen on the specifics, though; I heard another batch was being produced, but if not then buy used.

I read that the HF-2s sound significantly different from other Grados, but to be honest, if you really wanted a certain sound, you wouldn't buy headphones based on their looks.
Quote:
MacedonianHero said:

SR325is
GS1000

Biggest mistakes in the Grado lineup.

Totally agree with the SR325is. After hearing them at Bay Bloor Radio, I couldn't believe they were more expensive than the 225is. Way too bright.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 35
pcf, you have so many awesome grados!  Nice collection.  You've got HP2's and HP1i's, which if I'm not mistaken, have the update JG came up with recently?  You don't find the HF2 to have much smoother treble than the RS1/325?  I agree, they are still forward, but they were very smooth IME with them. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 35
I liked my friend's GS-1000s but didn't want to spend the dough.  I bought 325is and G-Cushions, like the 1000, and they sound remarkably like the more expensive model.  The results are warmer bass, perhaps deeper and a much larger soundstage because your ears are farther away from drivers.  Much more comfortable, too.  I don't have any issues with them.  Chose them over Senns, which I've had, and Stax, which I've had.  My 2 cents.  

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 35
Sr325i's are silky smooth with the right amp,.Can't wear them for more than four hrs,weak bladder,cable won't reach to the loo.
Naim CD5/Teddycap MK3 PSU ,NVA AP10H H/P amp So smooth i had to put a silver Snaic 5 Psu lead on, to up the treble a bit.
o2smile.gif
Luverly.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
pcf, you have so many awesome grados!  Nice collection.  You've got HP2's and HP1i's, which if I'm not mistaken, have the update JG came up with recently?  You don't find the HF2 to have much smoother treble than the RS1/325?  I agree, they are still forward, but they were very smooth IME with them. 

Thanks Rhythmdevils, My HP-1 was upgraded by Joe Grado last year. The upgrade included putting in new drivers and tweaking; new cable and disabling the polarity switches etc.. That was when he just finished his new microphone so he sent me a CD of some recordings he made with the new mic, plus another CD of his own opera singing. Both discs sounded great on the now new HP1. It is an improvement over the already excellent HP2. Not sure if Joe is still doing the upgrade now.
I prefer the richness, analog like treble and mid of the RS1 (especially the vintage ones) although I think HF2 are a overall very balanced headphone and like them any much myself.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
SR325is
GS1000

Biggest mistakes in the Grado lineup.

Yes, I was surprised how bright the 325is's were.  Didn't like them either.  (Was the 325i mellower than the 325is?)  But, I much prefer the MS2i's to the 325is.  I'll be curious how the HF2's compare to the Alessandros.  I didn't like the MS1i at all, but I really like the MS2i's ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back