Which is better ATH-A900, A950LTD, A900x or A900TI
Feb 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 61
I have the A900 and the A900x. They are quite diff in sound quality. I actually prefer A900 for now and may change as A900x got burn in more. There are more mid bass in A900x and it's not subtle. The Mid range of A900x is less than A900. A900 has a wider sound stage in my opinion. Treble is about the same for both.

A900X has very hard ear pad which is not as comfortable as A900. I would say the differences is more like LCD-2 vs LCD3... both has its strength. So if you want strong mid bass, less mid range = A900x. For more 3D sound stage, more mid range but not as strong mid bass = A900. Please note that A900 bass response is actually quite good (more deeper) and the qty is actually the same but the frequency cut off is lower thus it seems like A900x has more bass. I just bought both and am only hearing for an hour. I will update if there are any changes as it burns in...

So for now, I actually like the A900 more than A900x... The A900 comfort level is really good.. I will put it at 9/10 and A900x at 7/10, for more pespective HD800 at 9.3,  LCD-3 at 6/10.. LCD-2 at 4/10.

More to come...

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 61
The Audio Technica ATH-A900s have dropped in price in the past week.
BuyDig-dot-com has them for $169 + 6.99 shipping, Total price $175.99
Need to use the coupon code "BUYBIGTVADD55"
Found this price at the Bountii website.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 61
On further testing. A900X lacks the treble sweetness of A900 and vocal range (mid range) stick out of the entire spectrum. If you are into vocal, you can't go wrong with A900. Its like a LCD-2 romantic mid range but in a lower end deal (but its really good for the price and not too far from LCD-2). The lack of treble and mid clarity of A900x may be due to the increase in the mid bass hump. The A900 has a better lower end and higher extension than A900x. And A900x is a warmer and bassier phone and also had a strong focus on the mid bass which is very tuneful and melody. A900 X or no XI prefer the A900 altogether due to the higher treble sweetness (no sibilance) and better lower end extension focus with a focus of a more forward vocal... I like the closeness of a  female vocal whispering sweet things in my ear
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 61

Quote:
I've also heared that the A950LTD are just the A900 in black, limited production and leather ear pads, any differences in sound anyone?

The difference between the A900 and A950LTD is more than just looks. I own both and I find that the A900 lack bass and has recessed mids. The A950LTD has more bass and it's mids aren't as recessed, they also have a slightly larger sound stage and a better level of detail. All of the changes aren't really night and day difference (but a difference none the less) between the two so to many it isn't justifiable to spend the extra cash for the A950LTD. I prefer the A950LTD as the shortcomings of the A900 left a lot to be desired. The A950LTD ear pads are stiffer than the A900 but they aren't that uncomfortable, at least to me. It will take some getting used to initially but they are of better quality than the crap pads that came with the A900 which don't last long and will fall apart with regular headphone use. I suspect that the A900x has the same ear pads as the A950LTD.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 61
Hopefully the other models (other than the A900X) have better earpads!!!
That's what I mostly hated on the a900x... the sound wasn't ultra spectacular (compared to
my Denon D5000s) but it was enjoyable with all genres I tried it on.

Agree on the mids though and to me they are very enjoyable, just uncomfortable...
So to the OP, if you can try them on at least, I would suggest that...

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 61

Sorry for late reply everyone I've been very busy and my internet has been down for some while now.

Quote:
On further testing. A900X lacks the treble sweetness of A900 and vocal range (mid range) stick out of the entire spectrum. If you are into vocal, you can't go wrong with A900. Its like a LCD-2 romantic mid range but in a lower end deal (but its really good for the price and not too far from LCD-2). The lack of treble and mid clarity of A900x may be due to the increase in the mid bass hump. The A900 has a better lower end and higher extension than A900x. And A900x is a warmer and bassier phone and also had a strong focus on the mid bass which is very tuneful and melody. A900 X or no XI prefer the A900 altogether due to the higher treble sweetness (no sibilance) and better lower end extension focus with a focus of a more forward vocal... I like the closeness of a  female vocal whispering sweet things in my ear
biggrin.gif

Its nice to know the sound differences between the two headphones, i might be leaning to the A900x, I'll like to know more after they burned in or fully burned in more.

Quote:
The difference between the A900 and A950LTD is more than just looks. I own both and I find that the A900 lack bass and has recessed mids. The A950LTD has more bass and it's mids aren't as recessed, they also have a slightly larger sound stage and a better level of detail. All of the changes aren't really night and day difference (but a difference none the less) between the two so to many it isn't justifiable to spend the extra cash for the A950LTD. I prefer the A950LTD as the shortcomings of the A900 left a lot to be desired. The A950LTD ear pads are stiffer than the A900 but they aren't that uncomfortable, at least to me. It will take some getting used to initially but they are of better quality than the crap pads that came with the A900 which don't last long and will fall apart with regular headphone use. I suspect that the A900x has the same ear pads as the A950LTD.

This really helped a lot, I didn't know they would be a sound difference.

Quote:
Hopefully the other models (other than the A900X) have better earpads!!!
That's what I mostly hated on the a900x... the sound wasn't ultra spectacular (compared to
my Denon D5000s) but it was enjoyable with all genres I tried it on.

Agree on the mids though and to me they are very enjoyable, just uncomfortable...
So to the OP, if you can try them on at least, I would suggest that...

Me too, although I would like to have leather pads on my headphones rather fabric like the velvet on my AD900. As for the sound I've been looking quite a lot at the denons, I might get the denons if the sound of the Audio Technicas aren't that good.

Also is there a posssblity that the A950 and the A900x uses the same driver anyone?

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 61

Quote:
Also is there a posssblity that the A950 and the A900x uses the same driver anyone?

I've heard the A900X uses "stuff" from the A1000X, not sure if that answers your question.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 61
Heya,

I've found the A900X to be a wonderful headphone and attractive. The most impressive thing about it is that it has the gorgeous mids and airy treble of AudioTechnica Art series, but it has the elusive bass and low end that the others seem to lack. So the A900X can hit hard and do well with low frequency which is just sublime. It's a nice warm sound, airy, good detail, great impact, and overall good body, with a nice sound stage (not as huge as the open-air variants, but plenty big for a closed headphones). It's not thin like other Art series. I'm actually fine with the pads, though I've considered testing some Beyer velours or Denon leathers to see how it works perhaps to increase depth of cup.

Very best,

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 61

Quote:
I've heard the A900X uses "stuff" from the A1000X, not sure if that answers your question.

Quote:
Heya,

I've found the A900X to be a wonderful headphone and attractive. The most impressive thing about it is that it has the gorgeous mids and airy treble of AudioTechnica Art series, but it has the elusive bass and low end that the others seem to lack. So the A900X can hit hard and do well with low frequency which is just sublime. It's a nice warm sound, airy, good detail, great impact, and overall good body, with a nice sound stage (not as huge as the open-air variants, but plenty big for a closed headphones). It's not thin like other Art series. I'm actually fine with the pads, though I've considered testing some Beyer velours or Denon leathers to see how it works perhaps to increase depth of cup.

Very best,

From what I know is that the mids, treble, and soundstage  are a trademark on Audio-Technica headphones. If I do get the A900x I would be sure to replace the pads of maybe, a w series or denon leather pads. (I hate velour pads). From you, how would you compare them to the A900.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #15 of 61
I just return the A900X. I actually prefer the A900 due to the better mids and lower bass impact & more comfort. Don't be mistaken, the A900x sounded as good as A900 .. it just my personal preference. Also I notice there are some who menton that A900 has recess mids,.. I am thinking Audio Technica may have change something in the latest A900 because I find the mids to be extremenly forward and is the most forward of all the headphone I have owned. It really stick out of the sound spectrum and could be annoying at times when I crank up the volume to hear more bass.

So when I hear ppl mention A900 has recess mids, I am really puzzle.. to me Denon D2000 is the one I would call recess mids.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back