Which is better ATH-A900, A950LTD, A900x or A900TI
Mar 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #32 of 61
You can not get 950ltd or 900ti anyway. I have 900ti for some time, very beautifully constructed headphones with detailed sound and balanced spectrum. My opinion is to try audio technica if you never hear one. Their sound is either hated or adored by headfi with different tastes.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #33 of 61

Quote:
You can not get 950ltd or 900ti anyway. I have 900ti for some time, very beautifully constructed headphones with detailed sound and balanced spectrum. My opinion is to try audio technica if you never hear one. Their sound is either hated or adored by headfi with different tastes.

A lot of the polarisation came from people who read  the rave reviews of the AD700, bought them and bitched about the fact that they had 'zero bass'. I sidestepped the AD700 for the AD900 on the advice of people who have owned both, but I can relate to what reviewers say about the 'tight, focussed bass'. The closed models have a lot more bass impact, so I doubt that the OP will find himself hating any of them. Unfortunately, I have neither his ears nor his musical tastes, so thats something only he can determine. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #34 of 61
Actually I have the AD900 and it is the best headphones I've ever heard, for a matter of fact Im using them while writing this, I also very much pefer the sound signature of the ATs than other bands.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #35 of 61

Quote:

Well I manged to find a few 950ltd and 900ti for sale on the net sometimes.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #36 of 61

Quote:
A lot of the polarisation came from people who read  the rave reviews of the AD700, bought them and bitched about the fact that they had 'zero bass'. I sidestepped the AD700 for the AD900 on the advice of people who have owned both, but I can relate to what reviewers say about the 'tight, focussed bass'. The closed models have a lot more bass impact, so I doubt that the OP will find himself hating any of them. Unfortunately, I have neither his ears nor his musical tastes, so thats something only he can determine. 

Another fact, I originally wanted to get the AD700 so I went to the Audio shop with my dad to buy them. When we listen to the AD700 I just loved them but my dad didn't like them so much (He was a grado person) then the shop keeper suggested the AD900 so we tried them on.
The sounded a lot more better, They're sound more fuller, had a much better bass, and more comfortable than the AD700 so he brought them for me. (It was a present)

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #38 of 61

Quote:
I mean you probably can not find new ones. 900ti are fantastic headphones and highly recommend to any AT fans.

Yes you can, although they don't show up often if you shop around long enough a new pair will show up. Since the A900ti and A950LTD are longer in production they can be found brand new on the secondary market. I had a brief listening session with the 900ti a while back, although they're an improvement over the the A900 models and the A950LTD I felt the going price for a pair were way too high than what I was willing to pay. They're a great looking set of cans no doubt about that.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #40 of 61
I found the A900LTD to be a slight improvement over the A900. The A900LTD has a slightly better level of detail and soundstage over the A900. AT has upped bass punch in the A900LTD, bass is tight not loose or muddy and has slam to it. Mids were brought a bit foward in the A900LTD but still sounded recessed at least to my ears. The improvements weren't really a night and day difference between the two, but they are improvements none the less. Given the choice between the two at the time when the A900LTD were still available, I would have chosen the A900LTD even with it's higher cost. I bought the A900LTD a few years after I bought my A900.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #41 of 61
Thanks.

Quote:
I found the A900LTD to be a slight improvement over the A900. The A900LTD has a slightly better level of detail and soundstage over the A900. AT has upped bass punch in the A900LTD, bass is tight not loose or muddy and has slam to it. Mids were brought a bit foward in the A900LTD but still sounded recessed at least to my ears. The improvements weren't really a night and day difference between the two, but they are improvements none the less. Given the choice between the two at the time when the A900LTD were still available, I would have chosen the A900LTD even with it's higher cost. I bought the A900LTD a few years after I bought my A900.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #42 of 61
Quick question for you folks, since you seem to know your stuff in this thread:
I'm looking for my first pair of decent quality headphones.  I'm fairly sure I want closed headphones, and a friend recommended the ATH-A900 which he uses himself.  In theory I will get to try them soon, but I also have an opportunity to get a pair of ATH-A900x next month for roughly half price, and around $50 less than what the A900s generally go for (one of the few perks of retail).  The consensus on this thread, though, seems to be that the A900 is a better set than the A900x.  I have also done some half-hearted poking around for some of the LE versions of the A900, but so far found nothing.

Can someone provide some insight for a first time buyer as to what kind of differences I might experience between the two?

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #43 of 61

My mini comparison btw A900X and no A900 version.

Quote:
I have the A900 and the A900x. They are quite diff in sound quality. I actually prefer A900 for now and may change as A900x got burn in more. There are more mid bass in A900x and it's not subtle. The Mid range of A900x is less than A900. A900 has a wider sound stage in my opinion. Treble is about the same for both.

A900X has very hard ear pad which is not as comfortable as A900. I would say the differences is more like LCD-2 vs LCD3... both has its strength. So if you want strong mid bass, less mid range = A900x. For more 3D sound stage, more mid range but not as strong mid bass = A900. Please note that A900 bass response is actually quite good (more deeper) and the qty is actually the same but the frequency cut off is lower thus it seems like A900x has more bass. I just bought both and am only hearing for an hour. I will update if there are any changes as it burns in...

So for now, I actually like the A900 more than A900x... The A900 comfort level is really good.. I will put it at 9/10 and A900x at 7/10, for more pespective HD800 at 9.3,  LCD-3 at 6/10.. LCD-2 at 4/10.

More to come...

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 61

Quote:
D2000 has recess mids while A900 mids stick out. (both at opposite end).
D2000 has more power in the sub bass region but A900 is not too far behind... its just right behind. D2000 has better quality IMO.
Both has poor isoloation. I like A900 more than D2000 (despite makl mod).
D2000 has more upper treble - sometimes to point of too much ssssss... A900 treble is just nice- in fact A900 has one of the least treble energy among the A series but its certainly has enuff (don't worry its much better than HD650).

anything I miss out - if you want a certain comparision .. let me know.

Wait, you're saying the A900s are close to the D2000s in bass? What ATs below $400 have the most bass? Particularly sub-bass.

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #45 of 61
I experienced a little different. I had brief listening to A900 but own 900ti, I somehow remember 900ti sounds much better than 900. 900tis are more balanced, with much better details and faster. I think the ti cans actually add a bit metal flavor to the sound. I even recalled 900tis have different drivers from 900s.

Quote:
Yes you can, although they don't show up often if you shop around long enough a new pair will show up. Since the A900ti and A950LTD are longer in production they can be found brand new on the secondary market. I had a brief listening session with the 900ti a while back, although they're an improvement over the the A900 models and the A950LTD I felt the going price for a pair were way too high than what I was willing to pay. They're a great looking set of cans no doubt about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back