Which IEM around 70$ to100$
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TonyHarding

New Head-Fier
Hi there, new to this place, found it today, and it seems to be a good place for questions about IEM's.

I've been looking to get a new pair of IEM's as an upgrade from my Cx300 II and it's quite hard to decide which one to get. 

From reading forums and reviews this forum and watching some stuff on youtube I've mostly looked at the Shure SE115, Monster Jamz, Klipsch Image S4 and from this forum I came across the RE0. Or are there upcoming products from this year CES that are worth waiting for? 

Not sure which ones are best and that's why I'm asking.

What I want most from the headphones are durability, good bass and I guess an ok all around sound. Don't know all that much if I benefit from good high's and mid's from the music I listen to (Which i mostly alt/indie, punk, metal post rock and electronica).

Thanks! 

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 7
If the RE0 interests you, than you should also look into the RE-Zero (not the same!), Sunrise Xcape, various Brainwavz M1/2/3, Thinksound TS02, and NuForce NE-700X. If you haven't found it already, be sure to check out joker's incredible (and growing) set of reviews. The table in Post #8 can save you some reading time.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
What I want most from the headphones are durability, good bass and I guess an ok all around sound. Don't know all that much if I benefit from good high's and mid's from the music I listen to (Which i mostly alt/indie, punk, metal post rock and electronica).

I'd be concerned that RE0 wouldn't have enough bass for your preference and I've heard complaints of build quality. You might like the Triple.fi 10 if you can find them for around $100 still; they were on sale in December and you can sometimes find someone who didn't like them reselling them here. Build quality is not fantastic, but nice tight bass. Maybe you can find the Sennheiser IE6 around 100, too. The Sennheisers are awesome tough.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah I think I'm gonna get the Thinksound rains actually, they seem to be a pretty good all around. Thanks for the tip though imackler. I did find the Sennheisers refurbished on amazon for just 60 $ (with shipping) from what seems like a legit seller. Although I'm still skeptical about it.

And how much would I benefit from getting foam tips along with the thinksounds? Does it really help to improve the bass? 

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 7
From my experience with the Rains, you won't really need anything to improve the bass in terms of quantity.  Quality wise, it can tend to be boomy, but if you can EQ down the low end some, it has a nice smooth sound overall.  If you try the Comfy foam tips, you will mostly gain comfort -- the Rains are very open IEMs so isolation is not the best.  I actually wound up plugging up the small port just below the nozzle which improved the immediacy of the sound -- they were too open and echo-y with that port open (there's another port on the back of the wood which is a more typical location which I left open).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back