Which headphones do you use for PC gaming?
Oct 29, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #167 of 502
So I just got a K7xx and it's much better than my DT 880 Pro for gaming!  Massive sound stage on the K7xx.  Positional cues are definitely better.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #170 of 502
Really like Fidelio x2 for gaming / general purpose and a vmoda mic if I need to speek. Previously had various Sennheiser headsets - after the last one broke giving Oculus Rift demos at a school open evening I was bought a Steelseries Siberia v2 as a replacment. Did not take to it at all so decided.to try something new and pleased I diid :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #174 of 502
Can't start my own thread yet so I'll ask this here. First off I've read the other threads here, like Mad Lust Envy's, but I am looking for some very specific feedback on specific headsets I'm considering. I have a preferred budget of $150, or less, and would like something that uses some sort of desktop control hub instead of inline controls.

A little back story on my experience with different headsets. For about 7 years now I've been using some version of the Razer Carcharias for my headset. I've used a lot of models over the years, but I've used that specific brand/model the longest. The first set I had the connection broke some place in the inline control, a very common issue but this model seems to have a serious problem with it. I made the mistake of trying some pos from Thermaltake as a replacement, but returned those immediately and got another pair of the Carcharias. This is long enough ago that it was the normal 3.5mm version. About 2 years into using those the inline control has a connection go loose again. Both times its the left side that goes out. 

At this point there is an obvious design defect and a solder connection for the left speaker is faulty as I've had the exact same problem happen almost after the exact same amount of time with two pairs. But at this point I am so accustomed to the specific sound of that headset, and they are insanely comfortable, that I break down and get a 3rd set. Luckily they were still around as this was after they released the updated version that could work with the 360 too but requires USB power to use at all. That 3rd pair again had the left side speaker go out. I jimmy rigged the wires for the inline connection to get it to work again but I work from home and need my headset for work and didn't want to risk my temporary fix from giving up.

Money was super tight at that time and the updated, but now obsolete, version of the Carcharias happened to be on clearance at Best Buy. I was able to get them dirt cheap and with free express shipping. So I snatched them up so I had a working headset while I looked for something better. But the second I tested them it was clear why they were never successful. The fact that they require USB power to function at all is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. This means there is a horrible high pitched whine and to make matters worse the sound quality was actually different than the old version I had been using for so long. Like they went with even cheaper drivers.

The sound from the USB power feedback is managed some by plugging them into a good USB wall charger instead of the PC. The charger filters some of that power since its a 1amp Apple USB charger. Yes I know that's more than what USB puts out, but an extra half an amp won't hurt a headset I don't plan on keeping very long. Besides, even with that extra half an amp the high pitched whining sound is a lot less noticeable.

So, onto my main question. I know that nearly every headset uses USB these days, but some are better than others when it comes to the shielding or whatever it is that filters our the feedback from the USB power. Its an issue that a lot of reviews don't bother to talk about, so I'm looking for some real world suggestions. I'm open to wireless options, but since I have to wear mine for both work and gaming I'd like to avoid the extra weight that goes with needing to pack a battery into my headset. I mentioned something with a desktop amp/hub/etc because I don't want to mess with another headset that's gonna have a shotty connection fail again. Some headsets are putting the controls on the ear cups to avoid those inline controls, but not make you spend money on a desktop amp, but I'm not sure about that option either since I requires I take my hand off my desk and mess with buttons I can't seem. Something I don't want to have to do if I need to mute my mic or something mid game. But someone who has experience using something like that can provide insight into how good or bad it really is.

The headsets I'm looking at are as follows:

Astro A40 (can get he mixamp later)
Logitech G633
Corsair Void
HyperX Cloud or Cloud 2
Any other similar headset.

Some things I don't want, leather (fake or real) on the ear cups is an automatic will not even consider. I don't care how good you think it is, I live in Las Vegas and I'm not putting up with sweaty ears. I also prefer open to closed off sound. That's why the HyperX Cloud 2 is not on my list. Also any headset with a vibration/rumble function is out.

Some things I don't care about, Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, I don't really care. I've never liked virtual surround so it has to either be insanely good or I'll use them in stereo mode anyways. I also don't care if it has lighting on it or not, I can't see the side of my head anyways.

Other considerations, how big of a difference are 40mm vs 50mm drivers? 50mm seems to be the direction some companies are going but is it worth the price. With all those criteria in mind, what would be my best option out of what I listed and are there any headsets that would fit what I want that I haven't listed yet.

Edit: Added the HyperX Cloud and Cloud 2 to my list as I've just learned they include fabric ear cups as well. The fake leather was the only thing making me not consider them. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #175 of 502
  What would you all use if you don't want to leak sound and disturb others next to you?

I'd go for the most open-sounding closed back headphone I could afford.  My previous Audio Technica ATH-A900X had a surprisingly decent sound stage for a closed headphone.  The A700X should be good too, although there is a newer A900Z coming out.  The Beyerdynamic DT 770 is another popular one.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #176 of 502
What would you all use if you don't want to leak sound and disturb others next to you?

All depends on your budget, but anything closed back would be best.

Again in my opinion comfort should be top priority for a gaming headphone since the majority of your attention will be on visuals and interaction.

That being said my favorite closed back headphone is the MrSpeakers ETHER C, which doesn't come cheap

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #177 of 502
Mine too but it is 1500$ 
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #178 of 502
I have used:

- AKG K270
- AKG K550
- AKG 701
- Sennheiser HD598
- Sennheiser HD600
- Sennheiser HD650
- Audio Technica ATH-W5000
- Ultrasone (can't remember model)
- Audeze LCD-2rev2

and my current choice is:

- Beyerdynamic T70P 32Ohm with Beyer gel pads.

Reasons: FULLY circumaural, does not touch ears. Excellent isolation. Not too much head grip. Very good bass. Decent soundstaging for 3D games (not as good as best open ones). Works well with ModMic, Zalman Mic1, etc. Takes a beating. Easily driven even from soundcard outputs (although a good headphone amp of course improves, esp. the low end). Cons: not the most comfortable for long sessions (headband at top not the most padded) and not the best 3D soundstaging. But as an all arounder and for gaming in noise and cutting away distractions, with accurate sound and good non-distorted bass, it's hard to beat.

YMMV, of course.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #179 of 502
  I have used:

- AKG K270
- AKG K550
- AKG 701
- Sennheiser HD598
- Sennheiser HD600
- Sennheiser HD650
- Audio Technica ATH-W5000
- Ultrasone (can't remember model)
- Audeze LCD-2rev2

and my current choice is:

- Beyerdynamic T70P 32Ohm with Beyer gel pads.

Reasons: FULLY circumaural, does not touch ears. Excellent isolation. Not too much head grip. Very good bass. Decent soundstaging for 3D games (not as good as best open ones). Works well with ModMic, Zalman Mic1, etc. Takes a beating. Easily driven even from soundcard outputs (although a good headphone amp of course improves, esp. the low end). Cons: not the most comfortable for long sessions (headband at top not the most padded) and not the best 3D soundstaging. But as an all arounder and for gaming in noise and cutting away distractions, with accurate sound and good non-distorted bass, it's hard to beat.

YMMV, of course.

How would you rate the other ones you mention, please?

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #180 of 502
Sennheiser PC360 for a couple of years now, love it: lightweight, decent sound and great mic.
Like the volume control in the right shell as well, although it does crackle a bit now and then (rapidly moving the volume control fixes this for a while).
I also have a HD600 for music and though I'd try them for a bit for single player gaming, but it is too heavy/uncomfortable for long gaming sessions: hurts my skull
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back