Which headphones do you use for PC gaming?
Jan 10, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #61 of 498
AKG 240 MKII normally, waiting on X1's + v-mode boom to turn up. Senn HD570 as back up's which I'm using tonight due to the caps of the 240's cracking and that means soldering wires back on after I added the replacement ones this arvo...man they don't make it easy sometimes.

Would love to hear someone's gaming experience witht eh 612 Pro's, they look tasty.

Wayne

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #62 of 498
  Do I need to buy a separate sound card to get the most out of the PC360 or is the motherboards sound card good enough?

My motherboard is MSI P67A-GD65.

On-board sound has come a long way since the early days of integrated mobo chips. 
Really depends on the motherboard and the sound chip.

Laptops are typically not so great and can be a little hissy in extreme cases, but high end desktop mobos can sound pretty decent and even have enough power for old studio headphones. I've got my vintage 600ohm beyer dt990 plugged straight into my on-board sound at work, and I need to put the volume to 50% because there's so much spare power.
Sounds clean too.
No idea what model it is though. dxdiag doesn't tell me. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #63 of 498
Philips X1 + V-MODA BoomPro microphone. Picture provided by user 1llest since both items arrive at my place on Monday. My next pair of headphones will be the new Alpha Dogs. Should compliment my X1's nicely.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #64 of 498
  Is surround sound a must for PC gaming headsets if you play competitive games? SS is what gives positional accuracy right?

I need a new pc gaming headset and the PC360 seemed like the obvious choice but saw that it has no surround sound, so I don't know.

I used to play competitive TF2 using the Razer Carcharias headset and did pretty well. I was in the top highlander league and I did just fine without surround sound. While it is a very different game from Counter Strike where SS would be more important, you can definitely play FPS games without SS and do well. I would say not to break your budget just to get surround sound as in my experience it didn't give me a significant advantage.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #65 of 498
I played competitively with halo and I would agree that you don't need "surround sound" to do well. Quality headphones like Sennheisers on 2.0 sound will do you just fine, other factors are of course way more important, like overall skill. You get plenty of 3d info from 2.0 headphones. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #66 of 498
  For gaming I use either my HD650s or Mad Dogs. I've used my UE6000 in the past as well since it's foldable and portable. I'm looking into a pair of MA900s or X1s to improve on the soundstage of the HD650 when playing shooters, but that'll be down the line a ways.

I doubt you will be able to improve on the soundstage of the HD650s by anything noticeable. I thought sennheisers were renowned for good soundstage especially in gaming. My 595s are excellent and Sennheisers seem to get very good reviews in Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #67 of 498
  I doubt you will be able to improve on the soundstage of the HD650s by anything noticeable. I thought sennheisers were renouned for good soundstage especially in gaming. My 595s are excellent and Sennheisers seem to get very good reviews in Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide.

The soundstage on my Q701 was larger for gaming when I had them. The HD650 does have a nice soundstage when listening to music, but it gets a tad congested when you introduce something like Dolby Headphone or THX TrueSurround. Probably due to the lovely body their sound has.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #68 of 498
The 650 would be one of my favorite all purpose cans. I just wish it did positional cues a teeny bit better. Other than that, absolutely loved them for music and movies, and non-competitive gaming.

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #71 of 498
I used to use Razer Carcharias for gaming because it has incredibly lengthy cable and the boom microphone is fantastic.  I still use them now for skyping or gaming online with friends but if I don't need a mic I switch in my JVC HA-S400 now. 

Edit: I have to add that the purchasing of Razer's was before I discovered Head-Fi.  Prior to the Razers, I was using some really, really crappy headset and the sound of the Carcharias blew my mind.  Then upon discovering these forums and buying the S400's, I discovered that I was missing out on about 75% of the sounds that my games were playing.  I kid you not, the first time I played Borderlands 2 with the S400, I kept taking them off and trying to figure out if what I was hearing was coming from downstairs.  There was just so much things going on that I had literally never heard before getting a decent pair of headphones.

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #72 of 498
I used to use Razer Carcharias for gaming because it has incredibly lengthy cable and the boom microphone is fantastic.  I still use them now for skyping or gaming online with friends but if I don't need a mic I switch in my JVC HA-S400 now. 

Edit: I have to add that the purchasing of Razer's was before I discovered Head-Fi.  Prior to the Razers, I was using some really, really crappy headset and the sound of the Carcharias blew my mind.  Then upon discovering these forums and buying the S400's, I discovered that I was missing out on about 75% of the sounds that my games were playing.  I kid you not, the first time I played Borderlands 2 with the S400, I kept taking them off and trying to figure out if what I was hearing was coming from downstairs.  There was just so much things going on that I had literally never heard before getting a decent pair of headphones.
You should move up to the Sennheiser HD598s now.. :wink:

Then you'll hear impressive placement of sounds!

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #73 of 498
Ha!  Wouldn't be a bad idea if I could afford them.  I'm trying to stay within the $50-75 range.  

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #75 of 498
  Ha!  Wouldn't be a bad idea if I could afford them.  I'm trying to stay within the $50-75 range.  

Superlux models, or maybe Takstar. Right on your price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back