Which grado for audio gd fun?
Oct 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
i have broke it down to either the SR225i or the SR325is what are your thoughts? remember i am going to be using the audio gd roc and will be listening to hard rock/heavy metal bands such as disturbed or slipknot.

Are you buying the ROC or the FUN?   BTW, was listening to a little Rust In Peace yesterday with the 225s and they were rocking indeed.....
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #19 of 28
Everything is awesome with SR325is! 
basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 28
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #21 of 28
To not love SR325is is heresy.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Here's my $0.02,

I had 60's with a uDAC, then moved to MS2i's, only to find the difference between them and the 60's to be very small.  I then got a Fun, which was a very obvious upgrade from the uDAC.  I briefly tried the RS1's only to think that they were not worth the cost increase for the difference in sound over the MS2i's.  Then I sold the RS1's and MS2's, and bought some SR80's.  I like the 80's just as well as the MS2's and RS1's.  I am not saying that the 80's are as good as the higher line stuff, but I am saying that I could only hear the refinement by listening so hard that I wasn't really listening to the music anymore. 

Well just so you know I've really been enjoying your old MS2s
biggrin.gif

And I agree that sound signature wise they are very similar to the SR60's. And now that I've figured out to fully insert a headphone jack into my new Sparrow, I'd also agree that my new Audio GD DAC /Amp combo is better than the uDAC. As far as there not being much difference I disagree to some extent. My first upgrade was to the 225 and I decided to give something else a chance for precisely what your saying. But the truth of the matter is even though the differences are perhaps subtle and nuanced they are there.

For instance I dont think there is anyway that you could add an amp or DAC to the equation and make the 60's sound like the 225. To me there is a very definite and noticeable difference. Someone in another thread described the difference as perhaps what one would notice between something at 128kps versus 256kps.When I first got your MS2's and plugged them in I immediately heard what I had been missing from the 225's I demoed.

My only complaint is that they dont seem to have the bass impact that the 225's had, but they translate Bonamasssa and Buddy magnificently
dt880smile.png

So in my mind the difference in price between the 60 and 225 is well worth it; or you can get some metal cups like I did for the same price as the 225 new. However reading your post has probably dissuaded me from pulling the trigger on some HF2's. Ultimately it is about the music. Perhaps what I need to do is tinker with my 60's and turn them into bass monsters.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
325is is incredible. Took PS1000 to get them off my head.

I threw some dynamat xtreme on the back of my SR325is' drivers, and damn; more open and smoother with punchier, deeper bass.  Then with the M-Stage they're PRaTty as hell. 
basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif

basshead.gif

I did give them a listen with the cups off.  It was nice, but not the same sound I fell for.  With the dynamat (and aluminum cups), they're still the same but a little better in several ways.  (I was a little afraid they'd change too much.)  So addicting, and then I've been picking up more techno lately.  They're hard to get off my head, heh heh.

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #25 of 28
@ KneelJung, I'm glad to hear that you are still liking the MS2i's.

To be honest, even though I don't think there're huge differences between the models in the grado lineup, I did just buy a set of 325is to A/B with the SR80i's that I currently have.  Since I like my DT990's so much, I thought I'd give a listen to the "bright" grados.  I'll be checking them out thoroughly this week.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #28 of 28
i have the sr80s and i will also vouch for them being great "rock"-music 'phones. they really bring out the guitar, the bass sounds so smooth, and the drums are really punchy. i am in love with them. i prefer them over all of my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back