Where HD580, HD600, and HD650 are manufactured?
Dec 9, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #31 of 62
I have a several weeks old 650 and it has the same "Made in Ireland" stamp as my 8 year old 580s. I also have 595s made in China.....IMHO, the build quality of the 595 isn't bad, and actually quite good for a headphone in it's pricerange (take a look at a Grado or AKG in it's price range and they are much simpler). The driver of the 595 is designed to be mass produced like your typical Sony driver....I don't see that as a bad thing: sonically the driver is still very much like the 580/600: just look at their frequency graphs!

Dec 13, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, could somebody; anybody, please look at their current HD580, 600, or 650 and PLEASE tell us where the box or the phones say they're made!??

arrived yesterday HD650 MADE IN IRELAND

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 62
Trust me, carbon fiber is plastic to the naked eye. The kind they use is not the shiny braided/layered kind you see for show on cars and the such. It is the graphite-like dense yet light plastic used in most applied materials. I have a huge crater in on the frame of my ncode6.1tour. the inside looks exactly like a scratched up hd600. Grey, cheap looking dense lightweight material that most people cannot distinguish from regular plastic. But it is much better than plastic.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 62
Sorry for 2 yr bump.

My HD595s made in China developed a crack on headband joint within 3 weeks of light use.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanke1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for 2 yr bump.

My HD595s made in China developed a crack on headband joint within 3 weeks of light use.

That's pretty serious. My HD595 that I bought in China hasn't had any issues after three months of use. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not because the Chinese are unable to produce high quality products, naturally. But western companies produce in China pretty much only because of monetary reasons.

Be honest - what association does a "Made In China" sticker bring up in your mind?

[ ] cheap, probably not very sturdy

or

[ ] finest build quality

This post is absolute rubbish, please get your facts straight.

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me it means, "Oh goodie, I can buy the same quality product for half the price."

If you ever get a chance, you should go visit some of these Southeast Asian or Chinese factories. They are pretty amazing.

My only complaint is that that some of the savings comes at a cost to the environment. The cost of pollution controls in Japan, America, and Western Europe is a big part of the increased costs of a higher standard of living. That will evenutally change in China, too. As their standard of living increases, they will no longer accept the pollution levels.

Quick question: does China manufacture a high end headphone of its own, marketed in China? Just curious. They make plenty of headphone amps.

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arrived yesterday HD650 MADE IN IRELAND

Interesting,so what it appears to say is that the Whole Headphone is manufactured and assembled in Ireland,without the use of any Chinese parts at all.
Just like the HD800 being manufactured in Germany with no Chinese parts used at all.
I would love someone who works there to come on here and inform us where all the parts come from.
As for plastic,its one of those materials that looks and feels cheap no matter what you add to it or call it,in the majority of cases used only to increase the manufacturers bottom line.

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting,so what it appears to say is that the Whole Headphone is manufactured and assembled in Ireland,without the use of any Chinese parts at all.
Just like the HD800 being manufactured in Germany with no Chinese parts used at all.
I would love someone who works there to come on here and inform us where all the parts come from.
As for plastic,its one of those materials that looks and feels cheap no matter what you add to it or call it,in the majority of cases used only to increase the manufacturers bottom line.

After reading this thread, spent some time searching forums for verification of these statements, doing my own headphone research here.

That kind of generalization should not be used. Polymers have advanced enough where in many situation it's the preferable choice of material. For the HD800 Sennheiser chose it for it's durability, weight and sonic resonance. Just look at the size of the HD800, imagine how heavy it would be if used some sort of metal material. The PS1000 compared to the HD800 and Edition 8 I just read was noticeably much heavier.

And I also used the search button here to verify the validity about carbon fibre. Just read a posting from the Sennheiser representative here on Head-Fi saying it's not the case. He posted that some reviewers claimed the HD650 appeared to use carbon fibre and then the retailers started to market it as such. But nowhere does Sennheiser claim the HD650 or HD600 to be made of Carbon Fibre.

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #40 of 62
They so don't have carbon fiber. My HD650s are made of plastic, I know this as they broke and it clearly had no CF in it (I work with CF on a daily basis)

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading this thread, spent some time searching forums for verification of these statements, doing my own headphone research here.

That kind of generalization should not be used. Polymers have advanced enough where in many situation it's the preferable choice of material. For the HD800 Sennheiser chose it for it's durability, weight and sonic resonance. Just look at the size of the HD800, imagine how heavy it would be if used some sort of metal material. The PS1000 compared to the HD800 and Edition 8 I just read was noticeably much heavier.

And I also used the search button here to verify the validity about carbon fibre. Just read a posting from the Sennheiser representative here on Head-Fi saying it's not the case. He posted that some reviewers claimed the HD650 appeared to use carbon fibre and then the retailers started to market it as such. But nowhere does Sennheiser claim the HD650 or HD600 to be made of Carbon Fibre.

Please do not start quoting Senn's marketing blurb,and more fool you if you actually start to believe it,they are interested in one thing only and that's selling them.
The more fancy names they can dream up for the plastic the better it sounds.
And they dream up some real fancy names for the earpad material as well.
Read between the lines with marketing blurbs,keep an open mind.

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: does China manufacture a high end headphone of its own, marketed in China? Just curious. They make plenty of headphone amps.

I can't speak to the "marketed in China" portion, not being there myself, but the HE-Audio Jade is designed in China and made in China for a Chinese company.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes ! Jade is a high end electrostatic headphone purely made in China. Some argue that v1.2b went the similar way as Senn Orpheus. But hey! shouldn't we be happy with a 6 time cheaper headphone that is capable of deliver 95% of Orpheus ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back