Where are you on your Head-Fi journey?
May 26, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #46 of 70
I'm actually quite satisfied with my headphone setups...now I'm moving onto a dedicated 2 channel stereo speaker system.

Oops. Reading comprehension is horrible. I voted for 6 or more cans because I thought it was asking how many you currently own. I wouldn't have voted there because I'm not planning to add any for awhile. My bad.

May 26, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #47 of 70
Im at 3 rigs right now:

PC / DVD movies:
T43 laptop => Philips Aurilium => Pimeta (AD823) => K240s

Sennheiser rig:
Technics CD deck => Earmax => HD580

Grado Rig:
Technics CD deck => Millet (12FK6) => HF1/RS1

Sometimes I mix things up though. I like my PCDPs too and sometimes prefer them over the Technics deck.

I also have a bunch of portable amps and PCDPs

Garrett

May 26, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #48 of 70
Portable:
60GB 5G iPod | SIK DIN | DIY MINT | Shure E4C
[size=xx-small]I usually skip the MINT to stay ultra-portable...[/size]

Home:
Denon DVM-4800 |
  1. DIY Millett Hybrid + STEPS (w/ discrete diamond buffers & Tung Sol 12FK6 tubes) | DIY Woodied Grado HF-1 (#10)
  2. DIY PPA v2 + STEPS | Zu Mobius | Sennheiser HD-650
[size=xx-small]Sometimes the 650 ends up with the Millett, and sometimes the HF-1 ends up with the PPA, but it usually stays as shown above.[/size]

Office: Currently In Progress
Work Computer | PIMETA + TREAD | Sennheiser HD-600
[size=xx-small]The PIMETA and HD-600 belong to a friend and I'm in the process of acquiring them.
I'm listing them because while they're not in my possession, the plan is pretty firm.[/size]

So, once the office rig comes together, I will be DONE!!!

May 26, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #49 of 70
Mowing Rig
3G 20gig Ipod --> Ety ER4P

Home Rig
Desperately Seeking Transport --> Monica II DAC to
--> Maxed out PPA --> HD650s
--> Maxed out Millett Hybrid (in progress) --> Woodied HF-1s
--> Full Blown Tube Amp project also started --> ???

Work Rig
AV710 --> HR Millett + DPS --> KSC75s or 35s

Soldering Rig
Ipod --> Senn RS 65

My biggest hurdle right now is getting my home source situation figured out. I've got a line on a transport that I really want, but haven't heard from the seller in days. And I refuse to list all of the amps that I have that I don't use!

Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
The PIMETA and HD-600 belong to a friend and I'm in the process of acquiring them.
I'm listing them because while they're not in my possession, the plan is pretty firm.

I have no idea who you are talking about...

May 26, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #50 of 70
I'm mainly waiting to save up enough to start again. I'm happy with my i5->Supermini-3->KSC35, but not too happy with my E3c. All signs pint to UM2, but that means the next $450 I make that is absolutely disposable ($300 on IEMs, $150 minimum on used CDs).

In fact, I am sometimes amazed at how well the Supermini-3 (AD8397) and KSC35 work for me--the music is just there, in my head (if a touch bass-heavy, but I plan to try some opamps and buffers, soon). I mainly want that same experience for quiet listening.

Then, I generally want to ditch my sound card. I'm currently not sure if I want to get a cheap DAC+AMP combo (such as the Bithead), build one from a kit, or just get a moderately good quality USB/FW sound card.

Then (unless I get this bug instead of going for the UM2
wink.gif
) I want to get a pair of big, but comfy, cans (DT 800, A900, K601, K701 might all work); but I'd like to audition them. I also don't think I'll bother with baby steps. I was able to try the K240S, FI, and didn't think it was a $90 step up (it was so comfy, though, and made me want to try other AKGs).

I'm near the beginning, no doubt. Even so, I don't really aim for absolute perfection, don't collect, and don't care for FOTMs; so will probably be able to keep my residual spending to a minimum. Oh, and I'll get a D66, too, if just to try it out (and take apart, and tinker with).

I'd like more detail, less bass (and possibly totally different sound sig), but the same feeling as when typically using my Supermini-3->KSC35.

May 26, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #51 of 70
Just the one real rig, (don't know how anyone enjoys an mp3 player when they have a decent home setup? Although I do have a 4gb ipod)
Home rig:
Cyrus CD8 - Cyrus Dac X
Into either (mostly) Sugden Headmaster (remote volume, means I can stay in sofa!) or an Earmax Pro (stock tubes).
I have three cans, Shure E5c's (for bass loaded music) Senn 650's (for vocal) and Senn H25-1 (mostly silent TV watching and computer).
Its the music I'm not satisfied with, not enough good recordings maybe we should help each other out with that?

May 26, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #52 of 70
I'm as close as I've ever been. I've got a new source on the way and I'm going to get rid of one of my other sources (probably the Ah!). I've determined that I like a neutral, high resolution sound from my sources that can handle amplification and the use of aggressive cans (Grado) but won't make my Senn. HD 600 sound un-like themselves. So I've gone with a Meridian G08. My amp is as satisfying as I am ever going to find and be able to afford, I think. I've also found a set of speakers that I will be able to live with (Cain and Cain double horns). So, I've got two very different kinds of cans, a neutral source on the way, and an amplifier that can handle all the equipment.

If any out of production or limited edition cans come up I might pick one up, but my home HP rig is complete.

I am now seeking a long term (trans)portable rig for use with my RS-1. Yes, I plan on using my RS-1 as (trans)portable HP! Please don't mug me in the subway! Perhaps an RSA Hornet or SR-71.

Other than that, maybe a Grace 902 for the bedroom/desktop or something... The real bitch is going to be selling all the extra equipment that I don't use anymore. But that will help offset the cost of my other gear.

I'm a true believer in the "one system is all you need if it is the greatest system for YOU" philosophy. I don't think one can get much better than the 300B when a compromise with speakers and HP is necessary. The Noise Outlaw Audio "Duality" is perfect for me, personally. It is not as fast or as clean as Jason's Qualia + Dynamight. It doesn't have as much boogie as the ES-1 + Orpheus. But it has the perfect balance for me.

If money were no object, I would probably go with the ES-1 + Orpheus rig for HP and have Blackie build some mono blocs around the 845 power tube with a 300B pre-amp section (oh my god! how great that would sound!). But I think I've made a good compromise by using the 300B + high efficiency speakers and Grado/Senn.

In any case, one can ALWAYS get better sound (just ask Bozebuttons and JJCha... Those two are true searchers.) I'm not really a searcher. I'm close and I can feel it.

More important than all of this is that through head-fi I have been able to listen to all of these rigs and realize that sometimes different is better and sometimes different is just different. I can say with confidence that after the national meet I have had the opportunity to listen to just about all of the best HP systems in the world (in the entire world!!!). I know what's out there and I know what I like. It makes for clear goals and (hopefully) a destination. A resting point. Satisfaction with my audio system.

Let's hear it for great audio! clapclapclapclap!

TJK.

May 26, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #53 of 70
i swear i'm done. i swear.

May 27, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i swear i'm done. i swear.

Your "Damn-you head-fi!" thread tells a different story

May 27, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #57 of 70
Headphones so far are:
OEM junk (4-5 pairs)
Koss Plug (mod)
AT EC7 (Knock-offs?)
Radio Shack Pro 35
Koss KSC75
Grado 125
Beyer DT880 - 250

Source is PC, iPod nano (my son's), rave mp3, Sony Diskman, or dbx DX5 CD player. I need to get a dedicated CD player for a fixed home system.

Now I'm really obsessed with a DIY tube amp. I can see 3 or 4 tube amps not to mention something portable. With more amps, I'll need to try out more cans
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #58 of 70
home rigs:
electrostatic:
srm-717
srm-t1
ed-1
omega 2
lambda signature
gama pros
sr-40 (electret)

home dynamic rig:
millet hybrid
akg k-1000
akg k-240DF

office rig:
diy "elecheapo amp" with mild mods.
sony mdr-f1's

portable rig:
etymotic er4-s
a portable amp in the 4X4X1.5ish inch hammond is planned.
aos flute. dac/amp hybrid.

sources:
iriver ihp-120 rockboxed
sony d-33 stock as a rock
some old sony with a digital output, i have never actually used the analog outputs. its just a cd-optical output box for me.

i am working on a proper home dac, but i just bought a short ton of climbing gear....

this is not including gear i dont use.
i have a couple diy amps that dont get much play, and a couple headphones.
1diy HV tube amp, for speakers. also works well for the k1k.
1diy (designed myself) single ended input/bridged output (balanced-ish output) simple amp.
grado sr-125's with no grills on the ears or facing the world. think of a tube with a speaker in it. wired for balanced drive with 2* 3-pin xlr.
mb-quart qp-400 headphones. wired for blalanced drive, 2* 3-pin xlr.
i also have an akg k-340, that hasnt gotten much play time because of the electrostatic rig...
whatever the driver "box" for the electret headphones is, i ahve one of them. i run the small stax's out of the "big amps" and call it a day.
archos av-3100 multimedia player. think ipod video with a screan you can see, digital (and video) outputs, and components you can upgrade.

edit: i may add a balanced m3 when i get some money to build it, and a grado gs-1000 when they become "unflavor of the month."

May 27, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #60 of 70
here's to finally evaluating the crap i already have and letting go the stuff i dont spend time with...yeah right...
am using all my power to resist gs1000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back