Where are you on your Head-Fi journey?
May 20, 2006 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

ilovesocks

1000+ Head-Fier
Please read before voting!

What's your status on your Head-Fi journey? Are you happy with your rig (pfft
biggrin.gif
)? Do you have a favorite manufacturer (house sound)? Do you plan on buying more headphones? Whole new rigs? I've capitalized key words for easier scanning.

This poll should go hand-in-hand with the "How empty is your wallet?" poll. Please choose all options that apply! I'm trying to make it as comprehensive as possible, but please don't get too literal with the choices; just make it work and use common sense to simplify your answers.
biggrin.gif

For instance, if you vote "satisfied with your equipment," don't vote for "I shall add one more CAN, at most" just because 0 is less than 1.

"Adding" doesn't mean replacing; it means you're increasing the number of thingamajiggers you've got!

On the "planning" choices, exclude chance events like the release of limited edition stuff.

If you choose "I'm set on amps/sources ..", you're saying that you're not ACTIVELY looking for new stuff.

If you choose "Nothing is certain with my equipment!", you're saying that you're at least a bit impulsive; you're not admitting the uncertainty of the universe. Get what I'm saying?

If you're stuck between two choices, flip a coin and pick one.

Please don't include speaker-dedicated or car rigs in your totals.

If you find yourself plugging a pair of headphones into it fairly often, then it's a rig. You don't need to count every single amp circuit in your house; only the ones you ACTUALLY LISTEN TO, ENJOY, and PLAN ON KEEPING FOR AT LEAST A GOOD WHILE. Just use your judgment.

FYI, the first four choices should add up to 100% and the next three should add up to 100%. So should the two "manufacturer" options.

[edit]Hmm, someone voted for both of the last two choices. I meant for those to pretty much be opposites. My interpretation of it is that if "nothing is certain" about your equipment, then you're not "done for a long time."[/edit]

For me personally:
My two rigs (computer-based for both listening and gaming, and portable) are complete. The Corda Aria does it for me, for at least half a decade, maybe more. It sounds great to me, and was about 150% of my original budget.
biggrin.gif
The 1gb Shuffle is the ultimate DAP for me, as I'm big on simplicity. My favorite manufacturer is AKG. For now, I'm pretty much done. Might do a little bit of dabbling around with different cans--especially on the lower-budget end--but overall I'm very happy with my stuff!

May 20, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 70
I've got two Stax setups, and my Senn and Jecklins are both running from my integrated amp atm. Before the year is out, I plan a new source&amp and I plan to dip my toes in the Grado pool too.

But long term... lots more gear. Lots and lots and lots.

May 20, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 70
1 rig, the portable doesn't really count IMO. 3 cans, looking for a new source, new amp coming, can't decide on what I want.

May 20, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 70
It's just the beginning for me.

May 20, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 70
My next two steps up in the headphone biz will be the AT-W5000 and the Stax SR-007 Omega II.

My next step up in sources will be the Zhaolu, which is coming. I'm quite satisfied with my amp.

After all that, I'll likely be set for life, with a few cable upgrades from stock to cables around the $50 range (I don't believe in expensive cables, just well built cables and cables that have been made with care).

May 20, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 70
I want to try a lot more cans, I have senn 497s and AT a500s, I don't really like either, I want to try some grados/alessandros, high end senns, AKGs, beyers, maybe even some sonys. I also really want a extenal DAC/amp. I'm no where near done experimenting.

May 20, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 70
I am in my 60s, retired and with a limited budget. I see only one more set of cans in my future.
frown.gif

My speaker system has been in place for quite some time and I needed a set of cans to match up as well as possible with the speakers. I had heard through my speaker forum that Grados and Alessandros worked very well in this role so I tried a pair of MS-1s to find out. They work Great!!

(My speakers are of the more-laid-back style of a speaker manufacturer who produces quite foreward and exciting sounding speakers.)

And since my phones sound just like my beloved speakers; my favorite can manufacturer is without a doubt: Grado/Alessandro!!

But of course......now I'm hooked on cans!
evil_smiley.gif

As good as the MS-1s are; I Need More!! More Of The SAME!!

I have three rigs(ocasionally four, but not often)One portable, one computer based and two for our home theater and stereo only systems, and have no plans to upgrade or change any of them. I have no plans to add any amps or additional devices to accentuate the SQ. The MS-1s will be relegated to portable use and the final cans will be used for more, much more, serious listening.

The next and final cans will be either MS2i, RS-2 or even a fun thought of woodying my MS-1s just for fun!
rs1smile.gif

May 20, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 70
4 rigs...home, home PC, office, mobile. I haven't bought anything in a while & don't have any plans to...I'm pretty satisfied at the moment.

Peace,

Graz

May 20, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 70
I've got too much stuff, of course. But that's not my point in posting here.

What I found most interesting in this poll is that none of the choices contemplated any possibility of reducing one's investment in the hobby. In other words, "I've got too many headphones and plan to sell X number of them within a year."

The only reason I point this out is that I think that it actually (whether intended or not) reflects how most people think about the hobby. The tendency is to plan for more, and not for less. Or for some of us, not to really plan at all, but just sort of let it evolve.

May 20, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I've got too much stuff, of course. But that's not my point in posting here.

What I found most interesting in this poll is that none of the choices contemplated any possibility of reducing one's investment in the hobby. In other words, "I've got too many headphones and plan to sell X number of them within a year."

The only reason I point this out is that I think that it actually (whether intended or not) reflects how most people think about the hobby. The tendency is to plan for more, and not for less. Or for some of us, not to really plan at all, but just sort of let it evolve.

Gah! And I thought I had covered everything!
mad.gif
Good point, 'manus. That would've been an interesting statistic. I didn't mean to insinuate that everyone plans their Head-Fi hobby down to a T; a rough estimate of what one thinks the future holds will suffice. I guess if you're in the downsizing boat, you could put that you're completely satisfied, since at this point you'll only be making money.
biggrin.gif
Personally, I always take the opportunity to let one 'phone take the place of two. It's just that sometimes it's too difficult a choice!

May 20, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 70
I'm surprised at how few people are satisfied with their rigs, I have three rigs, and I'm basically satisfied and not investing much more money into this hobby. Basically I'm in the stage of kicking back and relaxing while I browse this site just reading around in different forums. I really have no intention of upgrading since I am satisfied, at least for a good while (which can be defined as anywhere between 6 months - 10 years
biggrin.gif
)

May 20, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 70
here
computer as a source (lossless alac), with my go-vibe > HF-1/HD595
there
ipod nano > go-vibe > KSC35/75
everywhere
samsung t809 - KSC75

it's alright. looking forward to 60gb iMod, Headfive, and maybe give Stax a shot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back