Where are you on your Head-Fi journey?
May 27, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #61 of 70
Once I get a better cd player I'll be pretty much where I want to be.But then again I wouldn't mind having one more closed phone.Maybe the Senn 280s.I like my Dt770s but sometimes they can be a little bit to bassy.

May 27, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #62 of 70
I currently have the MS-1 which I am recently starting to really like a lot. I've owned them for over 2 months now but for some reason in the last week they're beginning to impress me much more than they used to (and I'm using them unamped out of a Chaintech AV-710 card). I'm getting a Zhaolu soon and I plan to step up to the $300-400 headphone range eventually. I'd really like to get a SA5000 or K701 soon, but I'll try to delay for as long as I can. I see myself settling with that next purchase for a long time, but possibly not. I don't like taking baby steps but big leaps (nothing -> ms-1 -> sa5000). So, I think that the next big upgrade after that would be $1000+ and that would also need a better amp, cables, power condition, etc, etc, and at that point it might be better to just go with some decent speakers. I don't know about that though as I have no experience with good headphones or speakers.

May 27, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #63 of 70
i am thinking of getting a new source but i don't know how much i need to spend to get substantive improvement from marantz cd6000 ose which is a great value.

May 27, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #64 of 70
You've forgot to add an important option : Modding gear you already own and like.

Most of my plans for this year are in that department.
K1000s : PCB bypass and maybe recabling one of my K1000s.
RKV : Opamp rolling, stepped attenuator, adding an adjustable Meier crossfeed , fixing the transformer hum and a female XLR output are on my list.
AKG K340s and Senn HD 600s : I'll reterminate them to 4-pin-XLR.
Audiodigit T2020: Stepped attenuator and a female XLR output and maybe I will test a switching PS instead of the SLA battery.
Plus some DIY cables and exchanging the RCA SP/DIF into BNC inside one of my CDPs plus ............
Should keep me busy for the next months.

Besides of that I don't feel an upgrade or sidegrade itch.
During the last four years I have owned (or I had on long time loan) lots of cans.
AKG K81 DJ, K240S, K340, K701, K1000.
Beyer DT 531, DT 770, DT880.
Ety ER 4 P/S.
Grado SR 225, SR 325, RS-1.
Koss KSC 75.
Senn HD 540 Gold, HD 600, HD 650, HE 60.
Shure E5
Sony MDR-SA 5000
Stax SR-5, several Lambdas, Omega II.

Amps.
Marantz 2235 B
RA-1 clone.
Corda Prehead and Porta Corda II
Rudistor RP 31 and Egmont
Stax SRD 7, SRM 313, SRM-T1S, SRM-Xh
Vincent KHV 111 tube hybrid
PPA
CEC Amp 3300
Audidigit T2020
Audiovalves RKV I and II
Modded T-amp
Two different DIY tube amps
Senn HEV70

Sources:
Several soundcards,MF X-Ray, DIY NOS DAC, Bechmark DAC, Aqvox DAC, Thorens and CEC TTs

Plus brief impressions of lots of stuff at meets.

It was a nice ride, I've learned a lot and finally I do know what I really want.
Gimme a computer based rig for the flexibility, a decent DAC, some tubes in the signal path for lushness and improved imaging, and K1000s for a speaker-like soundstage, and I'm happy.
In technical terms there is gear far more capable than e.g. a PC-->AES/EBU -->Aquvox DAC --> RKV --> K1000s out there.I know that, I did own gear providing more detail/resolution and faster transient response and whatnot, but in the end it didn't sound as good to my ears.

May 27, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gentleman
I had 3 Pigs

Damned tabbed browsing.
Hello, this is head-fi and not your favorite pet forum.
BTW, getting eargasms by utilizing pigs might be a popular teamsport in rural Thailand, but posting about it is most probably against the forum rules.
However, I'm living in a sprawl and it's nearly impossible to get a decent pig here anyway, for what purpose ever.

May 27, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #67 of 70
...for I am in retreat, and not just in the headphone area. I am going down to the local pawnshop later today and sell a pair of speaks, and a subwoofer. I have already sold gear I had planned to keep forever. The whole headphone thing began with the idea of getting moving coil phones which would sound as good as my Stax. I finally arrived at Senn 600's. They did not measure up, so now I am going the other way, and even selling the Stax while I am at it. Maybe they just got caught up in the rush...

Laz

May 28, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma

It was a nice ride, I've learned a lot and finally I do know what I really want.
Gimme a computer based rig for the flexibility, a decent DAC, some tubes in the signal path for lushness and improved imaging, and K1000s for a speaker-like soundstage, and I'm happy.
In technical terms there is gear far more capable than e.g. a PC-->AES/EBU -->Aquvox DAC --> RKV --> K1000s out there.I know that, I did own gear providing more detail/resolution and faster transient response and whatnot, but in the end it didn't sound as good to my ears.

That's why it's a curse - it can be a wild ride before you find what you REALLY want. I even bought cans back that I got rid of before I realized I needed them back lol! The worst thing is to get make rash decisions - sometimes you don't know how something will sound with something you'll buy next month - patience is a virtue!

May 28, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #70 of 70
Jahn, that is exactly the reason why one should keep everything they buy for a long, long time.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back