What's the nastiest/grossest/weirdest food you have ever eaten?
Jan 23, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 80
Pidan, it is made by coating duck or chicken egg in clay plaster of red earth, garden lime, salt, wood ash, and tea. It is buried for about 100 days.

Beef heart and brain.

I love the pickled tongue that Trawlerman mentioned. We use to have it once a year when we butchered a steer. Sliced thin with onions and rye bread.

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 80
I don't eat wierd stuff.

I have tasted chocolate covered grasshopers. They are quite good, and I ate half a dog buscuit. Yes they are dry rather bad and bland tasting.

Bear steaks are not considerd wierd are they?

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #19 of 80
Hmm dog biscuits, had a step-sister one time that would eat them nonstop, she would hide them behind the couch and stuff, really seems odd when I think about it, but then again, she is still pretty odd to this day.

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #20 of 80
I try my best to stay away from gross/weird stuff, so my three submissions are pretty normal, but I won't touch this stuff w/ a ten-foot pole: Broccoli heads, raw okra, cod liver oil. Blech!

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #21 of 80
I love and eat a lot of different Chinese and Japanese food. I've eaten most of the Asian food mentioned here. I don't consider them nasty, gross nor weird. I consider them delicious :q

Now, I hope you don't think I'm gross and weird.
redface.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #22 of 80
Hmm.. I just remembered. I love natto. It's fermented soy beans. Brown, smelly and sticky. Mmmm Mmmm good. :) I've been eating it since I was little, so it's no big deal to me. But most people who are introduced to it for the first time in their life... well, let's just say it's an acquired taste.
wink.gif

I like all seafood, although I haven't tried sea urchin yet. Raw fish, fish roe, squid, octopus... no problem. I don't mind the stuff they put in vietnamese pho soup. Like, tripe (cow guts) and tendon... Supposed to be really good for you.

Oh, I forgot, another thing I can't eat is liver. Blech.
I was once served cow brain but didn't have the guts to try it.

Oh, I also refuse to eat stuff that I feel required unnecessary cruelty to obtain. Like, shark fin soup... they chop off their fin and let the poor things drown. And fois gras... that force-fed goose liver crap.

I wouldn't be able to eat dog, 'cause I used to have one. I ate rabbit for the first time recently though. Awfully good.

Jan 23, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #23 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Almost dog meat too ! it was on the table, I was in Hong Kong. But I never touched it.

I think it's illegal to eat dog, even in Hong Kong.

Jan 23, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #24 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
I was once served cow brain but didn't have the guts to try it.
And fois gras... that force-fed goose liver crap.

Cow brain is quite good. But forbidden now since the "mad cow". But if you know a farmer killing one or two beasts on the side...

Hmmm, foie gras, with some sweet wine, you don't know what you're missing.
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 80
Has anyone else ever tried the Chinese stinky deep fried tofu? I love those. I remember eating it in Hong Kong long time ago, but last year when I visited HK again, I couldn't find it anymore. Here in America, some Taiwanese restaurants sell it, but it doesn't taste the same and I don't like it. I miss the one I had in Hong Kong.

Gosh, it's so stinky you can smell it from a few blocks away! I don't even know how they make it so stinky, well, I probably don't want to know
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #26 of 80
Chitlins, I would never even think of eating them... never heard of anyone eating them for that matter, was at school one time and everyone was talking about their Thanksgiving plans and it was all about chitlins, everyone was having chitlins, I just didn't understand...

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #27 of 80
ever hear of Durian? Its a funky asian fruit which looks like a mace without the handle. Upon opening the 'meat' of the fruit looks like a yellow fetus, and if that doesnt get you the smell will!!! Tastes as bad as it sounds, if you dont trust me go to any asian supermarket and ask for it. In vietnamese it is called sao reung (I spelled it phonetically since my viet is pretty much in shambles)

DURIAN: its whats for dinner!!!

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #28 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by sonicthewebhog
ever hear of Durian? Its a funky asian fruit which looks like a mace without the handle. Upon opening the 'meat' of the fruit looks like a yellow fetus, and if that doesnt get you the smell will!!! Tastes as bad as it sounds, if you dont trust me go to any asian supermarket and ask for it. In vietnamese it is called sao reung (I spelled it phonetically since my viet is pretty much in shambles)

DURIAN: its whats for dinner!!!

I know what it is, never tried it though. The smell alone is enough to drive me away.
frown.gif
After all, I'm not a fruit person.
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #29 of 80
I remember when my uncle made me eat that Sao Reung, absolutely teh stinkiest peice of fresh fruit i have ever smelled, I ran straight to the bathroom for a barf... Funny now that I've put on a couple of years I somewhat enjoy that fruit it is quite sweet if you pick the right ones.

You know what Fear Factor had thier contestants eat Durain in the eating contests also.

the worst I've SEEN was fresh monkey brains straight from the head with a dash of salt and beer, now that I will never grow accustomed to
eek.gif
(supposedly exotic food)

hrm what else... live fish cooked in hot soup served while the fish is still gaping for its breathe... really i don't think i need to go on its animal cruelity and quite sad and odd to me I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy it...

on a delicious note: Shark Fin soup is darn darn darn delicious
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #30 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler

Oh, I also refuse to eat stuff that I feel required unnecessary cruelty to obtain. Like, shark fin soup... they chop off their fin and let the poor things drown. And fois gras... that force-fed goose liver crap.

aw jeez I was living in Ignorance for so long and it was tasting so good... I dunno i think it still taste good but man I was in a slurping bliss eating shark fin soup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back