What's the nastiest/grossest/weirdest food you have ever eaten?
Jan 22, 2003 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
The idea sparked in my mind after reading the recipe for peanut-butter spaghetti in the "secret family recipes" thread
eek.gif

Anyway, lets have a contest to see who has eaten the grossest foods (or tastiest food to another).

My submissions? Chopped up cow intestines, fish guts, and broccolli...BLECH.

Also, please be sensitive to other people's customs
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 80
Let's see:

Fish Eyes (it's a taiwanese thing i guess)

Sheep's Head Soup (greek)

Rocky Mountain Oysters (you don't want to know what these actually are)

Jan 22, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 80
I eat mostly anything other than cucumbers and cantaloupe. Weird, eh?

Jan 22, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 80
Hehehe I won a bet the other day at work when one of the girls I work with dared me to eat a dog biscuit.

It was pretty nasty. One of those bone shaped ones. I think they make them from wood shavings or something then dip them in a dye for coluring.

Before our recent Foot and Mouth outbraek and the increase of BSE/CJD it was common to find some stuff called BRAWN being sold at the butchers, which was most mashed up sheeps brains, eyeball and all manner of nasty ****. This stuff is not permitted for sale anymore.

We have black pudding here in the UK as well, which is like sausage but made from Pigs blood. Sounds nasty but can be quite nice if you forget what it's made of.

Cured Cows Tongue can be found on sale in every butchers shop in the land. Personally, I hate the bloody stuff. I can't stand to think of where it's been licking!

Ah yes, Cod Roes. A Roe is the egg sack from a fish and is very much a delicacy - especially in places where fishing is common. I suppose it's like a poor mans Caviar. Code Roes are usually available around January, Feb and March when the fish are breeding. I love the stuff and had it aboard ship when it's been freshly boiled and only been out the water a matter 20-30 minutes or so. I do know that a lot of people don't like them.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Fish eye

Pigeon

some kinds of pigeon (ramier) are quite good, just boring to eat when coming from a hunter friend and full of metal
wink.gif

I've tasted dried fish eyes in a southern-Italian saus for pasta. Really good too.

Otherwise:
Snails and frogs aren't common on this side of the ocean. But really wonderful.

Ants and termits burried in chocolate.

A wonderful italian risotto; shining black ! Tainted with pulp's ink.

Jan 22, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 80
I've eaten all those wierd chinese things that some others here have eaten too:

Fish eyes
Shark Fin (really good)
Chicken Feet (its like eating chicken skin)
Salmon Roe
Scorpion Lollipop (scorpion inside cherry candy mold on a stick, bought it in oregon
smily_headphones1.gif
)

In vancouver if you go to a chinese supermarket (T&T), you can find all sorts of things, basically of Chicken, Pig, and Cow you can find Hearts, Livers, Kidneys, Intestine, blood.

The wierdest i have found in a chinese supermarket:

PIG UTERUS!!!

(did i spell that right, lol
tongue.gif
)

Jan 22, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 80
Wusses...

I eat fish eyes because I'm hungry....It's an asian thing I guess, I didn't know it was so weird. Also, Roe isn't too bad, our family eats it by the ton. Also, in Korea, it is quite known that people sometimes eat dog meat. I've even heard of a dog restaurant. I wonder how's business with the tourists doing over there?

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 80
Being used as I am to raw sea urchins, salted and fermented squid body and entrails, spiced and cured whole fish roe, half-rotten soya beans and other such normal foods, I think what is usually cooked in the UK as Christmas Dinner is the ultimate culinary travesty.

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 80
Ho vit lon.....it's a vietnamese "dish"...

Essentially it's a hard boiled duck egg with a partially formed duckling inside.

Takes a little getting used to...especially when that little head rolls around on the spoon...

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
Ho vit lon.....it's a vietnamese "dish"...

Essentially it's a hard boiled duck egg with a partially formed duckling inside.

Takes a little getting used to...especially when that little head rolls around on the spoon...

Man that's totally sick - going back to my dog-poo sandwiches now!
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Hehehe I won a bet the other day at work when one of the girls I work with dared me to eat a dog biscuit.

When I was in college, every Friday I saw some drunk guys eating dog food in parties. Don't know why it's so popular, maybe it goes down well with beer? I never tried it myself, guess I was never drunk enough.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back