What's the difference between these two Beyers?
Dec 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tarcalion

Head-Fier
614489.jpg

I'm very confused. Please help me!

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 16
More than just deisng cues though. The DT770 has been known to be bass light and bass heavy. I myself briefly owned the 770/600 that had a ridiculous amount of bass. I swear they sounded like a 770 Pro 80 with the Premium body...

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
More than just deisng cues though. The DT770 has been known to be bass light and bass heavy. I myself briefly owned the 770/600 that had a ridiculous amount of bass. I swear they sounded like a 770 Pro 80 with the Premium body...

I haven't seen "Bass Light" and "Bass Heavy" Beyers advertised.  How do you know if you're buying either one of them?

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 16
It's hard to tell actually. They look identical from the outside and the drivers look the same. Though they do have the thick ear pads like the 80Ohm model has.

I recently contacted beyer and they dodged my question so as of now I have no idea if it was a mess up or a revision.

Another thing is the beyer has some QC issues.I myself have encountered some. I have had about 3-4 different pairs of DT770's and all of them were missing the bass ports. The bass heavy one heard had the ports but it surely was 600Ohms as the multimeter does not lie.

Quote:
I haven't seen "Bass Light" and "Bass Heavy" Beyers advertised.  How do you know if you're buying either one of them?

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 16
That's a weird approach to business if you ask me - making two almost identically-looking headphones but each with distinctively different sound characteristics.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 16
Like I said they may be just a new revision. I also contacted the US branch of beyerdynamic but am awaiting a response from them.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 16
There seems to have been a new change in the DT770s. They poked holes somewhere to increase bass and its supposed to be significant. 

If anyone is looking to buy the DT770s I would seriously wait a while until stuff like this is confirmed. If Beyer refuses to answer our questions. As consumers, we really should play it smart and not purchase from them until these details are fixed...

Just my advice. They're good headphones either way, just don't regret your purchase! 

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 16
Anyone know more about this? I suspect the topmost picture is the 2005 edition, and the lower one is a later version ... Googling 'dt 770 2005' and 'dt 770 2009' seemed to confirm this.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 16
Can't contribute with experence on the differences between those models

But I can confirm that Beyer doesn't seem to be eager to help constumers, answer questions or whatever. My experience is that they're not helpful, kind, nor interested.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 16
It felt like they just didn't want to answer my question, but rather took the lengthy approach and gave me details about the DT770 that I already new.

I would follow what hudamanium said about not buying them. Personaly if I wanted the bass heavy one but was unsure of it's existense for sure I would simply stray away. Why take a gamble on getting the bass heavy or bass light versions when this has not been confirmed from beyer yet.

All beyer told me is that the newer DT770 as having "strong bass and treble". Who knows though...

Quote:

But I can confirm that Beyer doesn't seem to be eager to help constumers, answer questions or whatever. My experience is that they're not helpful, kind, nor interested.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 16
This whole thing seems weird. I almost feel that a mistake of sorts was made and Beyer figures the best form of "damage control" is to deny everything. I'm discounting the cosmetic variations listed in the OP as minor design changes, as I myself have a pair of the "newer" DT880 with a different strain relief than in the stock photos (and from the picture on the box, which I still have). I would think that Beyer would mention a change in the performance characteristic, but I could be wrong (!). In regards to the so-called "bass heavy" and "bass light" versions of the DT770, if what Zombie_X says about quality control is right--and his experience with Beyers is quite extensive--I get the impression they know they goofed and are just hoping everything will pass over.

Fat chance with curious Head-Fi'ers looking/listening in.

If Beyer is being evasive, I'm sorry to hear this about the company. With such prestige and history in making cans, I expected better.

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
It felt like they just didn't want to answer my question, but rather took the lengthy approach and gave me details about the DT770 that I already new.

I would follow what hudamanium said about not buying them. Personaly if I wanted the bass heavy one but was unsure of it's existense for sure I would simply stray away. Why take a gamble on getting the bass heavy or bass light versions when this has not been confirmed from beyer yet.

All beyer told me is that the newer DT770 as having "strong bass and treble". Who knows though...

Quote:

They didn't answer my question too, was about something else (gel pads to be bought in Western Europe). They just didn't answer if it'll fit on 770 pro and what difference there is between 2 versions of the pads (black, white/transparent). They just gave me the (email)adress of Dutch Beyer distributor. When I contacted them, they didn't even know a gel pad exists
blink.gif

Eventually a head-fier helped me and sold me his gel pads, but I really expected more from Beyer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back