What's the best headphone for under 200?
Mar 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
I don't think that Grados can pull off bassy music all that well to be honest.  While it might be satisfactory to some I think you'll find it a bit lacking.  (Based on reviews and my own view of the SR-60i)

Based on actually owning and listening to the SR325is, rather than merely reading and viewing, Grados do fine with bassy [sic] music. They don't shake-n-boom (like enhanced-bass cans), they aren't artificially warm (like the HD-650), but they'll hit most low notes with authority and control.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Based on actually owning and listening to the SR325is, rather than merely reading and viewing, Grados do fine with bassy [sic] music. They don't shake-n-boom (like enhanced-bass cans), they aren't artificially warm (like the HD-650), but they'll hit most low notes with authority and control.

They are also overly bright, especially for rap and hip-hop music that is digitally engineered and has little instrument influence. Grados shine with airy genres IMO. I would definitely look into the DT770's for fast and dynamic music, such as EDM, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc. If you want something with less emphasis on bass and treble the DT 880's are great for the money, although do stretch your budget some.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #18 of 34
For that type of music, I recommend that you avoid the Grado's (which are one of my favorite all time headphones BTW).

and go instead for the Shure 840, Audio Technica M50, Beyer DT770 (the 770's have some extra bass you might like)
or similar = closed headphones with firm bass response.

edit - the Sony MDR 1R's would be a good choice as well but they're pricier than the others I mentioned

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 34
Shure headphones are not bassy.... shure they have tight bass, but are no way bassy. (pun intended)
Except for their DJ line of headphones, but then they are not very good either so.... yeah look somehwhere else,

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:
They are also overly bright, especially for rap and hip-hop music that is digitally engineered and has little instrument influence.

While I don't find them to be overly bright, they aren't at all forgiving of sibilance (and other hissy annoyances) unlike like the HD 650. OTOH, nearly every single note recorded recently is digitally engineered.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #23 of 34
"Rap" and "Hip Hop" on $200 headphones sounds exactly the same on a $10 pair of headphones.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #24 of 34
"Rap" and "Hip Hop" on $200 headphones sounds exactly the same on a $10 pair of headphones. :wink:

Well that's not exactly fair. Lupe Fiasco's The Cool sounds way better on higher end gear. Also, I'm coming to realize the sound of drums is easy to recreate, but extremely hard to recreate properly. Hip hop can definitely benefit from quality gear.
The Logitech ue6000 would probably do you quite well. Every time I go into best buy I give them a listen. They have an active circuit which adds more bass at the expense of bass control. I also hear good things about the vmoda m-80 and beyerdynamic custom one pro (which has adjustable bass response). I managed to demo a broken set of vmoda m80. Only one side worked but what I heard was very clear and impactful

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:
Can someone please tell me which would be better the 80 ohm ones or the 250 ohm ones thanks

The 250 ohm should sound better, it just may require an amp to get it up to your volume of listening (though if you don't listen to it too loud it shouldn't be a problem)

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #29 of 34
If you are into rock music, then I believe a Grado of some kind is the way to go.

If you are into rap, then probably look else where.

Grados shine with guitars, I will say that.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
Can someone please tell me which would be better the 80 ohm ones or the 250 ohm ones thanks

In your first post you mentioned the iPhone. If you are going to use an i-device then you are probably better off with 32ohms or 80ohms, in that order. I have the 250 ohm version of the 770Pros and they sound much better with a proper amplifier than just any ol' headphone jack.

In general, the lower the ohms the easier it is to drive. 32 ohms is common for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back