What's Better Than R.E.O?
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hank11

New Head-Fier
I recently owned the R.E.O., and absolutely loved them in the sub 100, and even 200 category.  The problem I had with them is two-fold:  Microphonics, and more importantly build quality- they crapped out after a year of use.  I loved their balanced, detailed sound.  I have since purchased the Ety MC5, love the noise cancellation, but for me, they sound think, lack the detail, and seem devoid of the mids.  I have also owned the Westone 1's, which were fine, but again I prefer the R.E.O. sound.

My question is, what has the R.E.O. balanced, detailed sound, with a better build quality at a sub $200 price point? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 5
First off, check out ljokerl's excellent IEM thread. That should give you an idea of what headphones you should be looking into. I would look into the Fischer Audio DBA-02, Audio Technica CK10, and the Head-Direct RE-2x2.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 5
Hey!

this is my first headfi post woohoo!

So you want RE0 sound, with better than RE0 quality for the same price. My suggestion would be to look at the Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape iem's. There are 2 versions, the 2nd apparently has better build quality but initial comments seem to be that it has a slightly warmer sound signature than version 1. I have version 1 and it sounds very similar to the RE0's.

It matches the RE0 about 98% in the detail and accuracy areas, and it excels in the low end. It also has a slightly warmer sound signature which many people seem to like. One of the only complaints many members mention about the RE0 is their lack of warmth and low end which the SW-Xcape somewhat make up for.

By the way I also just posted my first youtube video and I did an unboxing of the Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape because I haven't seen anyone else make a video yet. I'm probably not allowed to post links yet but just youtube Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape and I think you'll find it.

Also if you want to confirm how good the Xcape's are, see Jokers 136 IEM comparison where he ranks the Xcapes as the highest overall sub $100 iem's, even above the RE0 and REZero (see the chart at the bottom of his list).

Hope it helps!

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 5
Apparently the newer version of RE0s have better build quality that may surpass the Xcapes. Go read the other thread where they did a quick comparison.

If you really like RE0s, why not consider getting them back again? They're excellent and worth every penny paid.

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 5
Actually, I would purchase the R.E.O.s again, if it weren't for the build quality.  I failed to mention before that my Westone's failed as well after I went running with them on.  However, I never took the R.E.O.s  for a run, just to the gym.  I am very carefull with my IEMs.  Really, I can't understand how they would have broke.  This concerns me for a future purchase.

I realize there have been negative coments on the bass for the R.E.O.s, but for me it's quite adequate.  Thanks for your continued help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back