Whats a good inexpensive amp to drive AKG K701's ?
Sep 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #61 of 68
Been looking at the Schiit lyr and Valhalla as my top choices. The lyr is seems to be powerful but the Valhalla might be just right.  Money is no issue if i get better quality and more usability. Do you know what benefits the Lyr has over the Valhalla? Also i work in different countries and need a multi voltage system that can run 110-220 voltage.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #62 of 68
THe K701 thrives on power, that's why the Lyr is so good for it. I would think that the Asgard would be better than the Valhalla for the K701 but the Lyr will be a step up from both. I've tried the K701 from a variety of amps and the Lyr with a variety of headphones and they work very well together.

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #63 of 68
Do you know if the Lyr is world wide/dual voltage? That is the only thing stopping my purchase. I live in Germany but will eventually go back to the US. I already sent a e-mail to schitt but haven't received a reply. I know i will have more headphones in the future. I am already wondering what 300ohm or 600ohm would sound like.  So for me purchasing something that will cover all future headphones would be more useful than just getting by.  I seem to move allot and having a small system that i can mail or even pack in luggage is great. I run most music off my computer or mp3.  So next would be a good DAC. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #64 of 68
I didn't want to read through all 5 pages so I read page one and this page but has any mentioned a DIY Bijou tube amp?  Its a $350 build and gets you an incredible amp.  My K701's like my Bijou especially for classical (I've had an eargasm with that combination).  They drive them properly as well.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #65 of 68
I have K702

Fiio E9 works great, but lacks some bass (since E9 is neutral).

Lyr is VERY good with K702, and with right tubes... bass improves a lot

Matrix M-stage I have not used it myself, but many ppl recommend it

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #67 of 68
P4 is 600mw+600mw into 32.....
D6 is 650mw+650mw into 32.....

Simply put it this way, 701 out of them sounds decent and let's leave it there, but, e9 with its power could drive it much much better....

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #68 of 68
What would you guys rather recommend for the AKG 701's, the E9 or the Asgard?

I'm leaning more towards the Asgard because it's backed by a 5 year warranty and aesthetics but I also understand the E9 is also very well built and about 100 bucks cheaper and if I decide to get the E9 i'll get the E7 to pair them up. BUT reading numerous reviews, many people had problems with their FiiO products, some faulty, some not working at all, etc... 

I'd love to save and get the E9 for the 701's but i'm just worried if some issue comes up, then I would have no problem spending the extra cash for the Asgard which I know is built to last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back