Whats a good inexpensive amp to drive AKG K701's ?
Apr 24, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #46 of 68
You would need at least the E9 to drive the K701 adequately anyways.

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #47 of 68
I think if the op is willing to go balance, the Ibasso PB2 is the best choice in the portable realm imo.  At $325.00 and 2500 mw per channel, the PB2 has the best power to dollar ratio not to mention that it has the top SQ to go with it.  With 701, more power is a good thing.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 68
I'm currently using my 701's with a Little Dot MK II and a uDac as a source and I'm very pleased with it.  As far as power is concerned, although I'm no expert, the LD has no problem getting to high volumes.  I have the gain on the highest setting (as reccomended by Little Dot) and with my uDac turned to 50%, 30-60% volume on the amp is plenty for comfortable to loud listening.  

Another reason I'd reccomend the MK II is the fact that (correct me if i'm wrong all you more experienced folk!) tube amplifiers typically have a warmer, boomier sound signature; which is precisely what the 701 lacks.  Seems like a good pairing in my mind and most importantly, I enjoy listening with them :)

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #51 of 68
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #52 of 68

Quote:
I'm currently using my 701's with a Little Dot MK II and a uDac as a source and I'm very pleased with it.  As far as power is concerned, although I'm no expert, the LD has no problem getting to high volumes.  I have the gain on the highest setting (as reccomended by Little Dot) and with my uDac turned to 50%, 30-60% volume on the amp is plenty for comfortable to loud listening.  

Another reason I'd reccomend the MK II is the fact that (correct me if i'm wrong all you more experienced folk!) tube amplifiers typically have a warmer, boomier sound signature; which is precisely what the 701 lacks.  Seems like a good pairing in my mind and most importantly, I enjoy listening with them :)

I don't know about boomier, there are many different signatures you can have depending upon the character of the tubes that you select. But the thing they have in common is euphonic distortion, which if you like tubes can be a very nice thing and is what imparts the flavor. Anyways your rig sounds like a good one for the K701s, high gain with a dynamic sounding DAC should be just the ticket. Next step is to research and roll in some vintage/NOS tubes in place of the stock Chinese ones if you haven't done so yet.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #53 of 68
So to use an e7 and e9 simultaneously, I would put the e7 in the e9 dock, plug my line in into the e7, and headphones into the e9 output jack? or line in into e7 and headphones into e7? or line in into e9 and headphones into e9? or line in into e9 and headphones into e7? oh i dont know...

May 11, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #54 of 68

I've finally received the FiiO E9, should i connect it by :
AKG K701 > FiiO E9 > Astro Mixamp > Asus Xonar DS 
or
AKG K701 > FiiO E9 > Asus Xonar DS
Would there be any benefit adding the mixamp because that means i would have two amps powering my 701's?

I use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm Jack into the back of the E9's Line In to my soundcard headphone 3.5mm jack.
Is this the correct way to set it up?

May 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #55 of 68
I recommend leaving the Astro mix-amp out unless it is offering some feature or functionality that you want to use, such as EQ or Mic input. But just for audio amplification, I would remove it from the chain. The E9 has plenty of power to drive the K701 and chaining amps will not get you the combined power of the two.

Jack

May 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #56 of 68
Forget about your soundcard, no matter how good it is you will do better by using a usb cable into the E7, then listening to your headphones out of the E9. You could hook the mixamp up to the soundcard for a separate option to play around with, and then report back to us once you make your comparison. My guess is that you will like the Fiio combo better for straight music but the mixamp out of your 7.1 soundcard will have some interesting surround options for movies and games, so tell us how it goes!

May 27, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #57 of 68
Okay, i took your advice and literally just ordered the FiiO E7, im going to see if i like the sound better than coming from the soundcard.. 
Im also looking at the Audio Technica M50's.. are these any good, all i hear is good reviews... Therefore im selling my ATH-AD700's because having two similiar sounding products such as my 701's and AD700 I find is pretty pointless..
How will i connect the E7 to the E9? Simply just dock it? Whats this feature where you can dock it to the E9 but still have the features of bassboost?

Quote:
Forget about your soundcard, no matter how good it is you will do better by using a usb cable into the E7, then listening to your headphones out of the E9. You could hook the mixamp up to the soundcard for a separate option to play around with, and then report back to us once you make your comparison. My guess is that you will like the Fiio combo better for straight music but the mixamp out of your 7.1 soundcard will have some interesting surround options for movies and games, so tell us how it goes!

May 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #58 of 68
I've never heard the M50s. The bass boost on the E7 doesn't work when it is docked in DAC-only mode; it is part of the portable amp function. Congrats though, and looking forward to your impressions.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #59 of 68
Ah man i bought the Q701 and they are just as needy as everyone states. Now what would run these? Choices. These will be for home but i like to listen to music anywhere garden/deck/man cave? Does anyone know if the nuforce amps pair up with these greedy headphones?  Already bought a lower impedance set of cans.  I will not give up these headphones. I will continue my quest for the ultimate music quality.  My budget is open for spending but i do have my limits. I will not be cheap on a amp purchase but need something durable and quality hopefully 4-6 hundred range? Good history with customers/warranty a must. A do all amp that could possible run most anything.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #60 of 68
The Schiit Lyr is tailor-made for the K701 and fits with your other requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back