What was your first Headphone?
Nov 24, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #106 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the ones!

AH HA! I knew it...well not too hard to figure out, they were my story(post #76)

er, don't we need a 414 smiley here

beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #107 of 115
I'm not sure which headphone I had first but it was either an all plastic headphone that I think I bought at Sears and was probably their brand which was "Silvertone" (I think) or it was a Columbia Headphone (no longer in business) which was a closed type headphone with a control box in the middle of it's cable. This control box had two volume controls (one for the right channel and one for the left channel), a switch which toggled between mono and stereo and a belt clip on the back so you could wear this monster on your belt.
As I said, I'm not absolutely sure which one I bought first but I think the first one I wrote about (the one probably from Sears) was probably the first one and, again, if memory serves correctly it was purchased around 1966. The Columbia was probably purchased in 1968 or 69.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #108 of 115
My first was an ultra-light Sennheiser, circa 1972. They were light grey plastic with darker grey supra-aural earpads that disintegrated in 2 years. Best thing I ever heard to that point.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #109 of 115
My first real pair I got in 1983, the good-old circa 1979 (?) Sennheiser HD420, they sounded great with lots of heavy bass at the time, the interior pads deteriorated over time, and since I unearthed them from storage just last year (mainly thanks to Head-Fi), where it had been in since 1985, I also picked up an extra cord (with 1/8" stereo plug), and also a parts HD420 on eBay for about $25.00 (!!!) and fit mine with new pads (compatible with the HD435 but also fits the HD420s perfectly), and used the (in great condition) original headband and OEM cord from the parts HD420, and the good drivers from mine.

Now I have two spare cords (with 1/8" and 1/4" plugs at the end), some spare cushions and also (how 'bout this one!), spare HD420 cloth covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back