What was your first Headphone?
Nov 21, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #76 of 115
My first was the Senn 414. I was 14 years old (1981) and bought them at Circuit City.

The world’s first open headphones
But it was in 1968 that a somewhat ‘accidental’ invention led to a product that was to outdo even the highly successful microphones. Sennheiser developed the legendary HD 414, the world’s first open headphones – a product that created the headphone market all by itself. The Sennheiser headphones were so successful that, just ten years later, they already accounted for more than 50 percent of the company’s total sales.

-Sennheiser USA

...sadly my Bassett Hound decided to chew one side and they were no more
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #77 of 115
The earliest I remmeber came with my Sony walkman, they were just regular Sony buds. Later on I got a Sony bass boosting earphone (MDR-ED21LP ?) that came along with my CD player.

For my first iPod I got Sony MDR-EX71.
Then changed to ER-6i and after these got stolen I now have ER-4P.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #78 of 115
Mine came with a tapedeck too and it was sanyo I believe as well, circa 1990.
I still had them up to a couple of years ago.

I found out about Grado headphones probably 8 years ago and had dreamed of having a pair since
tongue.gif

Many years later I found head-fi and was influenced into spending large amounts of money on headphones so I bought some MS-1s and still have them today.

In the time between learning of grado (and other high-end headphones) I only saw one pair in public (some SR-60s).
After I got my MS-1s I have seen 3 or 4 in just almost two years.
It is probably fair to say that this says something about head-fis growth/popularity. Australia is more shielded from a lot of products (by location, even considering the internet, and by cost!) compared to USA for example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously?

I think they were yellow headphone that came with my sanyo tape deck. Something like it.

Also my first tape deck which was black, but I don't remember the brand, might be Sanyo

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #79 of 115
first headphone was the headphone that comes with my cassette walkman.. its a supra-aural one with metal band... i was like 5-6yo back...

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #81 of 115
About 36 years ago, I bought a pair of no name closed cream coloured cans with snazzy black vinyl ear cushions for about $3.50 Canadian at the Army and Navy Store in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. My dad had purchased a new all in one stereo kit made by Sony at the local Co-op store (turntable, cassette, receiver with a pair of decent Sony bookshelp speakers). As my folks didn't want to listen to my music (I was a heavy metal child), I got a pair of headphones. I used them for a year and then upgraded to a pair of Koss Pro 4AA's (which I still have!). My Auntie Jacqueline asked for and received my original pair of headphones and I rocked on with my Koss Pro 4AA's.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #83 of 115
My first real phones are cheap chinese NC phones they work OK but the sound after burn in went right to pieces. I also have some JVC marshmallows that are rather boomy but better than the Chinese phones. Sennheiser hd224

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #85 of 115
While I had several cheap headphones that came with the devices I've bought, the first headphone I bought was a Realistic Optimus Pro 25 for $40 in 1988. It's a portable lightweight over the ear phone with a volume control. I sought that one because of a rave review in Stereophile, and they were very right in their evaluation. They are durable. I've used these as my main portables since I bought them, only having to replace the earpads and clean the volume control now and then. I found another pair, NIB, on ebay a few years ago, but haven't needed to use them so far. I treat my stuff very carefully however.

The date on the last pair I got was 1992, and these are rebranded Koss phones. I'd be interested to know if there was a corresponding Koss model and what it is.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #87 of 115
my first headphones were the cheap ones that came with the walkman's i had as a kid, then i would get the cheap $20 sony studio style headphones they sell at wal-mart, then some sony street styles, then i finally wanted to get something nicer. I then found head-fi started looking for good headphones for my iPod. I got Shure E3c's, then E5c's then went to Grado SR225's, then SR325i's, then back to a portable setup with the UE Super.Fi 5 Pros, and now i am back to a home setup using Sennheiser HD650's.

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #89 of 115
My first pair of real headphones were grado sr325i, recently purchased, i figured if i was serious about getting better headphones than those crappy earbuds i might as well go get some serious quality headphones. These have been totally worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back