What was your first Headphone?
Nov 23, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #91 of 115
First: 1976 - Wharfedale Isodynamic

Latest: 2008 - Wharfedale Isodynamic

Weeeeeee, full circle! Good to have them again after all these years.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #92 of 115
My first set of headphones I bought specifically for better sound was a pair of Sennheiser HD280s and later some Sony EX-71s for mobile use.

I lost the HD280s in one of my many moves the past few years, but I still have the EX-71s around here somewhere, although they've been retired for years
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #94 of 115
I'm sure I had some el cheap'o headphones as a kid, no idea what they were.

The first pair I bought myself were Sony MDR-V6's from Circuit City when I was in high school. They lasted a good 12-15 years till they started shorting & popping randomly.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #95 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before head-fi: All junk.

Heh, that sums it up for me pretty much. I think the very first pair of can I ever had were some Sony DJ ones. I got them from my dad, so they were like 20 years old. The next pair was a portable set by Koss. Then it went to Koss PRO3AA/PRO4AAT cans.

Then the revelation called.... HEAD-FI!!

Now I have Sennheiser HD595, HD600, PX100, and beyerdynamic DT880's. Man now I have upgrade syndrome again and am itching on some Denons/AKG cans. OH darn you Upgaditis!!

Really though, I found a rather cheap priced pair of K702's though a few of my Xbox Live buddies. They have a busted cable... easy fix for me.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #96 of 115
I had an Aimor (or was it a Sanyo?) slimline transistor radio that came with a single-ear IEM. This was in the early 1980s. I made my second pair of headphones from some metal pieces (for the headband), sponge (pads), thin plywood with holes in it (to bolt the drivers onto). They never worked really well because I could never quite get the soldering right, especially with the giant soldering iron which was the only one I had access to. The next headphones I remember were MDR-71 that I got for my Nomad.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #99 of 115
It was one that came with a SONY cassette Walkman player.
HAAHHA You take me back man with this thread.

That was back in 1995. Those were some great days eh.
LOL and I remember how it used to kill the AA batteries trying to rewind the cassette sometimes I used a pencil or pen and rewind the cassette. lol

Those really were the days yes.

I guess the walkman was something like this.

5195S83Y5HL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #100 of 115
My first real headphones were a pair of Koss Pro/4X:

muspics80s_prod_04_lg.jpg

Got those back in 1984 and were in service until 2004 (replaced with Grado SR 225s) when the left driver went kaput while cleaning my TV screen. I think some sort of static discharge killed it.

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #102 of 115
my first pair were sennheiser hd280's. they were very expensive to me at the time (as a high school freshman). i think i went onto cnet and clicked on headphones in the $50-$100 range. The hd280's had one of the higher reviews and i liked the design so i went with that. when i got them, i was a little disappointed by the sound quality. they were alright. i used them just about everyday while studying and one of the drivers died soon after. i was pretty bummed that my "expensive" headphones had died on me so quickly.

after that, i went with mostly those headphones that hook onto your ears. they were good enough for me until i felt the need to buy an mp3 player 5-6 years later

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #103 of 115
My first pair of "real"(aftermarket) headphones was Pro-LUXE CD-2000 for compact disc (yes they really says that):
bild.php

They broke all the time, and my dad kept on gluing them together. I sat on them, stood on them, ripped the cable and so on. And he kept gluing them. I don't remember much of the sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back