What was your first Headphone?
Sep 18, 2007 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
I started off with Aiwa A120 on ear headphones in 1999. Then straight after I listened to Bose in 2004 and got excited over the drastic improvement.
As far as I see its sth like first impression can never be taken off.
The only headphone I had abt 2 years ago was some Aiwa on ear thing.
Then I typed in google, "the best headphones". Interestingly the result I had was something strange. I was expecting Philips, Sony, Bose, Aiwa etc...
I got Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Ultrasone and Shures and UE which I have never heard of before. I grew up in a community like that. Such a strange journey I had so far. I always considered myself from a pool of "what if they never had a chance or would have one". Luckily I got off to a start now.
Got to go way too long. I don't know how headphones sound with a proper amp like hornet or tomahawk. I don't have chance to listen to and the only way would be to get some advice and buy it with hard earned cash. When you finally invest that much into sth and even if its not satisfying, you have got to like it and accept it. Because you just can't afford another.

Anyways after all these years I was able to buy atleast HFI-650s and saving each month to invest on SE530 as I cannot afford upgrading step by step. Its been a nice journey though with you all head-fiers. Just starting to earn properly so that I just want to be a "Headphoneus Supremus" one day.

So don't you people allow "BOSE" users to join this forum and share their views? I didn't try many of the higher end ones rather most of them. I tried all of the bose stuff though. When I started my listening era I got pretty impressed at their approach and education about sound--would say Physics. Later on after reading tonnes and tonnes of online reviews and head-fiers personal opinions I came to know abt others.

I still have my Aiwas with a bit of tape on both sides of the headband.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 115
Seriously?

I think they were yellow headphone that came with my sanyo tape deck. Something like it.

Also my first tape deck which was black, but I don't remember the brand, might be Sanyo

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 115
Sennheiser Mini-Star 100. plugged into a Sony WMF-15 cassette Walkman. Circa 1984. I was 13 Y/O at the time. The phones were around $60 and the walkman was ~$90. Not too bad for the times.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 115
Not counting headphones that came with walkmans and such, my first set of headphones would have been my Pioneer SE-450's. They were a gift from my friend Rick back in 1988, who bought them from the PX at some Air-force base he was stationed at. I still have and use them. They were the best headphones I owned for years. Now that will all change, I'm sure.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 115
My first headphones were the Sony 7506. I was so excited how great they sounded compared to the stock earphones from the mini-disc player. I, without any research bought the v900's and was blown away by the clarity of them over the 7506's.

A friend let me listen to their triports and I got really excited about the bass. I went out and bought a pair. After an afternoon with them, I realized the bass was horrible and I wanted to know what would sound better for the money. I turned to the internet to do research, stumbled upon head-fi, and in the ensuing months spent $1500 on headphones when I really was only looking for the best sound quality for the $130 I gave bose.
eek.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 115
I use headphones with portable players, and for some reason started out getting headphones for these players from the start.

In the 80's, I went straight to the Yamaha YHD-1. The folding transducer housing made them ideal to me. Went through at least 4 sets - still listening to my last pair. They sound good to me still.

Wish I had stocked up on these - never would have looked at other headphones if I had. They still are my reference for sound (and yes, my HD25 headphones sound better, but not enough to compensate for the portability advantage of the YHD-1).

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 115
Cheap Phillips, cheap Sonys, cheap Sonys, cheap Sonys, Senn HD515, Senn HD555, Senn HD595, Senn HD600, Shure E500, Senn HD650, Senn 580. all of the headphones I have ever owned right there.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 115
My first ones were Calrad, like school headphones or something. Volume controls on each ear. Must have been mid-60s. My brother actually had a pair of what must have been army surplus Brush headphones. Then I got Koss Pro4As, Sennheiser HD414s, some Sonys I can't remember that got stolen, now HD 580s /and PX100s for the Ipod.

Calrad? They're still out there, believe it or not.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 115
Let's see...first stereo headphone...right!

A pair of cheap Koss headphones circa 1973. I still remember the first time I listened to DSOTM late at night through those things...it was on an FM station...three in the morning...Usssssssssss and Themmmmmmmmmm...
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundFreaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first headphones were the Sony 7506. I was so excited how great they sounded compared to the stock earphones from the mini-disc player. I, without any research bought the v900's and was blown away by the clarity of them over the 7506's.

A friend let me listen to their triports and I got really excited about the bass. I went out and bought a pair. After an afternoon with them, I realized the bass was horrible and I wanted to know what would sound better for the money. I turned to the internet to do research, stumbled upon head-fi, and in the ensuing months spent $1500 on headphones when I really was only looking for the best sound quality for the $130 I gave bose.
eek.gif

Bwaahaahaahaa!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh...right...

Very sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back