What to get
Jan 6, 2011 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Wash

New Head-Fier
Hey there, been browsing for awhile, decided to create an account to get some advice and finally join the forums.

I currently have a pair of portapros, and I like them, but I know theres better out there. My maximum I can spend is around 200, 250 absolute maximum.

I listen to alot of different music, but mainly rock and electronic. I'm horrible at genres so I'll just list some bands I listen to.
Electric Six, Flogging Molly, Flaming Lips, Cake, Polyphonic Spree, Deadmau5, Aphex Twin, Lightning Bolt, Passion Pit, OK GO, Tom Waits, Mates of State, Daft Punk, Justice, Streetlight Manifesto, LCD Soundsystem, Led Zepplin, etc.

What do you guys think?

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Some recommendations for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdyanmic DT 770, 990 32 Ohm

Denon AH-D2000

Grado SR125i, SR225i

All of these options are well suited your music genres.  The Beyers, Denons and Audio-Technicas all have very deep well extended base as well as an aggressive sound signature.  The Grado's have a very unique in your face sound signature that is well suited for rock, while they don't quite have the low-end heft of the others, it's bass is well controlled and very tight.  If you decide to go with the Denons and to a certain extent the 32 Ohm Beyers you may want to also invest in amplifier in the near future, as while they will sound great out your source, they'll benefit from some amplification.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Grado sounds really good with alot of the stuff you listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back