What to get after LCD-2.1?
May 3, 2012 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
Ugh I know there has to be something MORE. Lately I've joked around the with the idea of being a closet bass-head, which is a scary thought but I remember owning DT-770 for a while and there is a reason i don't mention it in my profile because it was that poor for me..

Is there more?

The HE-500 was flatter than the LCD-2 but when combined with the right vintage NOS tubes in the Lyr it really came to life, the LCD-2 with the HDP sounds a little better, but what else is out there?

I've confirmed I don't like HD-800 nor am I interested in paying that much, I just had HE-500, and I'm not a fan of IEM's even though my friends here all recommend JH-16's for me.

May 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 107
Chris, I don't think it's gonna get a whole lot better from here. Well, maybe...LCD-3? Yes, do that and sell me your lcd-2 
wink_face.gif

May 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 107
Quote:
Chris, I don't think it's gonna get a whole lot better from here. Well, maybe...LCD-3? Yes, do that and sell me your lcd-2 
wink_face.gif

Actually, I've had a chance to read a members comments who went from a pair of LCD-2s to LCD-3s and indicated there was a very slight improvement.  Whether one considers the improvement to be legitimate enough to justify the cost, remains to be something up to the owner.  I believe the same is also quite similar with the HifiMAN HE-5LEs to HE-6s.  The HE-6 provides an ever so slight improvement in the detail department.  However, it's a question as to whether one wants to reach into their wallet to step up to that next level.

Also, my 3 month old pair of Fostex T50RPs, that I've modified and recabled with Mogami gold (going into each cup) is really starting to take on the duty of producing some great sound.  I'm at the point, I really don't know what to think.  Did I finally cross that magical line of where the driver "break in" was a reality that came true for me?  I'm not sure.  However, I won't compare it to some of the "other" headphones in my posession because it's how "I" perceive the sound.  But, I will state that the T50RPs do a mighty fine job for the cost + the cost of the modifications.  Also, I scoffed a bit a few months back in the T50RP thread when I read a comment where one person stated that the modified T50RP was "within range" of the LCD-2.

OK, not trying to take this thread elsewhere ... just passing along some observations.
wink.gif

May 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 107
Oh balls, I think I might have to find someone super cool enough to do as near of a straight trade as possible for some Ultrasone Edition 8's.

May 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 107
Quote:
Oh balls, I think I might have to find someone super cool enough to do as near of a straight trade as possible for some Ultrasone Edition 8's.

Damnit. I should've met up with you to hear my pair when I had it (or you should've come to the meet!).

In short, don't do it. Don't believe the hype. They are terrible. I seriously wouldn't pay even $200 for them.

As far as your original question -- if you don't like the HD800, then maybe you could go Stax? Other than that the W3000ANV is pretty fun.

May 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 107
Ok yeah I had a friend named Alghazanth if any of you guys remember him, 17 year old kid with like way too many posts in a short amount of time who loved his and he had like the holy trinity of headphones at the time.

I would like to consider an LA7000 too, but with as much of the mods DIY by myself.. does anybody have any experience? I like the D5000 a lot from the examples I work on in the lab here and they're quite easy to recable.

May 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 107
Quote:
Ugh I know there has to be something MORE. Lately I've joked around the with the idea of being a closet bass-head, which is a scary thought but I remember owning DT-770 for a while and there is a reason i don't mention it in my profile because it was that poor for me..

Is there more?

Greetings and salutations everyone, Confucius say:

“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”

+1 on the T50's Wayne. Listening to mine right now through my Audio GD Sparrow. I run my Sparrow through my Harmon Kardon 330B when listening to my HF2's or woodied 225's. The T50's are too dark through the HK, but has great synergy with my Grado's. I like Marvins suggestion of a Stax rig Chris. Hello BTW Marvin. My thinking Chris is you know what sort of sound you've gotten from dynamic drivers, and some high end ortho's as well. You may as well do the full monty and check out some electrostats too, just sayin.

I'm thinking my next Audio purchase might be another pair of speakers. Thinking about picking up a pair of Infinity RS1's that wje recommended a while back, there is a pair on ebay right now that I'm considering scooping up.

- B

May 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 107
HP-1000... sorry if it's not in your price range but... HP-1000. If you like Grado I can vouch that you will get attached to that one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261009631714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1182

They are popping everywhere (but on eBay only ): , one per 1-2 week(s)... many were new old stock and sold for as high as 3500. People JUST STARTED noticing they had one they had never used / forgot about, with flats pads rotting, in their attic, and seeing they would sell very well on eBay. I got mine (actually two of them, HP1 and HP2) this way for... (hum, wanted to keep this a secret, too bad I guess) 930 and 1050 CAD (or "USD", they were converted to about the same) exactly.

I don't think "1000" headphones is such a limited number (that doesn't make them too rare), I definitely think that the price the latest (OMG NEVER USED! What) HP-1000 got sold (at such a low price! link above in my post) is great high-end audio quality for value. And not some random vintage headphone sound, but indeed a end-game SQ in a rock solid and very durable headphone (sorry I hope I'm not generating too much envy for old Grado fans). Joseph Grado can still upgrade it to you and if you come join us on the only HP-1000 thread still alive today, ChefGuru is about to make a review in which he will say that HP2i now performs at a similar level of that of a Sony R10.

Please keep in mind that I don't know if it's a truly truly high-performing headphone, but it's definitely in the line of the all time classics. And I think it still has the potential to fight it's way up to the top, for some people.

I love mine (even more so with my custom pads, don't listen to your HP1000 with anything else :p lol, contact me if you want to know more), but I never compared it to any of the headphone you had like Magnums, HE-500/-6, LCD2-3, HD800, T1, etc. yet.

Someone said T50RP, I think it's very good also but can be a hassle to fine tune... in my case my mod turned to crap (sorry for bad word). But I don't think T50RP got better than a LCD2 yet and since you did owned that one I wouldn't make such suggest T50RP to you, if you want to know "What to get after LCD-2.1?".

Although like wje said, some T50RP gets very close to the LCD2, it was 80% of its sound quality at Christmas, if I remember correctly, and nowadays they must have reached at least 85%.

May 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 107
Quote:
HP-1000... sorry if it's not in your price range but... HP-1000. If you like Grado I can vouch that you will get attached to that one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261009631714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1182

Haha you're the worst man. I subscribed to e-mail updates and I damn near almost peed my pants when I got another reply with maybe some information to some other cans, but HP1000?

[-__________-] 

(My head is square)

We shall see. I feel really bratty posting a thread like this, don't get me wrong, but there has to be something else...

May 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 107
Hi Chris...

looking thru your profile, have u tot of  the hd600/ K/Q701, Alexandro Mspro type of cans...to go with your expansive hans zimmer music..?
ph34r.gif

i am munching in the midfi zone at the moment...added some aftermarketcables, having a ball.
gs1000.gif

hmmm x3 x4 on the edition8 option...no go that is.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back