What to get after LCD-2.1?
May 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #31 of 107
I just bought HP-1 and HP-2... I'm now happy my next headphone will be a Denon AH-D1001, a headphone that I will actually be able to listen on the street.

I'm sure it will sound great.

Mosshorn is right, headphones are a mean to listen to music, and not the contrary. Music will remain the finality.

May 8, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #32 of 107
I got new cables. Basically they're the ones we make, but I'm good on selling these for now :)

That's all I have to say without the admins getting mad at me haha.

Actually you guys are right, I find that as I spend more time obsessing about what kind of gear I have, I seriously stopped enjoying the hobby. The Hifiman + Schiit stack was really a sign that I had gone too far (in retrospect to my budget of course).

I really should be happy as a clam, but honestly I think it's because I spend so much time listening to headphones (like 6+ hours a day) that I stopped "ooh-ing and ahh-ing" every time I get something new. I just look for flaws and try to move on from there. I've been doing the same thing in my knife hobby lately, which is really becoming a drag.

I think I'm gonna pick up a hobby the requires exercise, not technical expertise, money, and forum-ing. I'm getting a little pudgy these days.

May 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #33 of 107
I got new cables. Basically they're the ones we make, but I'm good on selling these for now :)

That's all I have to say without the admins getting mad at me haha.

Actually you guys are right, I find that as I spend more time obsessing about what kind of gear I have, I seriously stopped enjoying the hobby. The Hifiman + Schiit stack was really a sign that I had gone too far (in retrospect to my budget of course).

I really should be happy as a clam, but honestly I think it's because I spend so much time listening to headphones (like 6+ hours a day) that I stopped "ooh-ing and ahh-ing" every time I get something new. I just look for flaws and try to move on from there. I've been doing the same thing in my knife hobby lately, which is really becoming a drag.

I think I'm gonna pick up a hobby the requires exercise, not technical expertise, money, and forum-ing. I'm getting a little pudgy these days.

I think you've stumbled into the bane of hi-fi-dom. Always looking for "better" but the question is rarely answered: "better than what?" I keep getting sucked into the "ohh, I need LCD2, or HD800, or HE6 because it's 'better'" spiral. Then I listen to my modestly priced HE-400 on the Schiit setup and I continue to ask myself "what is "better"" What exactly do I want that I'm not getting here? And I honestly come up empty handed for answers. HD800 would give me a better soundstage (so would angled pads...grr.) But it would bring with it a sound I dislike (bright.) LCD-2 would give me more bass....but I don't need more bass, I don't really even want more bass, and the slightly higher fine detail would probably go unnoticed without a direct comparison. All at the cost of 2.5x the price and almost double the weight on my head.

And so I come back to "what would 2, 3, 4 times the money actually give me that I don't have?" "Better" than what? LCD-3 costs as much as what I'd consider near-top-of-the-line full size speakers. That's $1k per headphone cup. $1k per tower speaker is absurd....$1k per headphone cup requires institutionalization. My L/R mains cost $650 (plus a sub though), they have a better soundstage than HD800 will ever provide. Is HD800 worth more than double my L/R full speakers?

The pricing has become absurd. years ago, $500 was top of the line, now we're pushing $1000, 1500, 2000 for what is today's equivalent of yesterday's $500 headphone. For what? A 10% detail retrieval improvement bump and better soundstage? How much of HD800's soundstage could have been achieved by deep angled cups instead of crazy angled drivers? But no, it wouldn't have looked as slick on the outside. Worse, the masses of headphilia have doomed anything under $1k to the term "mid-fi" as though it somehow doesn't represent a high level of fidelity toward the original music. Funny, 5 years ago those "mid-fi" cans were the pinnacle of audio prescision and accurate reproduction of what was at the mic.

Somehow in the last few years the headphone mfrs have gone off the deep-end with crazy sky's the limit price tiers and trying every engineering concept they can to squeeze that last few percent out of them.

Talking to folks here, you'd assume LCD-3 is worlds better than LCD-2 which is worlds better than HE-400. Yet when you read the fine print, the objective observations, and read between the lines of the people that have compared pairings of them, the differences aren't all they're made up to be. You handle enough headphones and have owned enough of them, you know that.

So why are you asking our help? :wink:

If you insist on having us lesser beings help you, what exactly are you looking for in a headphone that you didn't get from LCD-2? And feel free to send those LCD's this way....you know...I wouldn't mind "better" :wink:

May 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #34 of 107
Quote:
Quote:
Oh balls, I think I might have to find someone super cool enough to do as near of a straight trade as possible for some Ultrasone Edition 8's.

Don't do it...
popcorn.gif

X2.  Bad Move unless the Edition 8 happens to have the sound signature you are willing to overpay for.  You are going to be very saddened if you want the same type of sound the Audeze offers, I can't think of anything that even comes close to it in the Hi Fi world.  The He500 is noticeably more dry sounding, more balanced in terms of bass, mid and high quantities, I would never call it an upgrade but I would call it a sidestep.  Two equals on parallel paths.  If you want something that is truly an upgrade, you are looking at burning a hole in your wallet in the Stax 007 or 009, TakeT.  I got to hear the LCD3 next to the LCD2 and wanted to throw it right into the trash, Audeze should be paying ME to use them instead of the other way around.  Skip it.  Having said that, the LCD2 rev2 and the recent edition is quite nice and now that headphone price gouging is the normal thing to do, its become one of the better values.   

If the LCD2 does not make you happy, one important thing to try to absorb is that price does not equate to happiness. I would take the Philips Fidelio L1 and Fischer Audio FA011 over the LCD2 any day.  In my opinion, its not worth $950.   Take a trip to the Apple Store if you have one near by and give a listen to the Fidelio L1.  Its the only headphone I feel comfortable recommending that actually has potent, rich, textured and very deep sounding bass of a very high quality.  Its extremely well made, extremely good looking and has a great fun and warm low end with dry midrange.  Its a lot like the LCD2 in presentation, just less clear.  

May 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 107
Quote:

X2.  Bad Move unless the Edition 8 happens to have the sound signature you are willing to overpay for.  You are going to be very saddened if you want the same type of sound the Audeze offers, I can't think of anything that even comes close to it in the Hi Fi world.  The He500 is noticeably more dry sounding, more balanced in terms of bass, mid and high quantities, I would never call it an upgrade but I would call it a sidestep.  Two equals on parallel paths.  If you want something that is truly an upgrade, you are looking at burning a hole in your wallet in the Stax 007 or 009, TakeT.  I got to hear the LCD3 next to the LCD2 and wanted to throw it right into the trash, Audeze should be paying ME to use them instead of the other way around.  Skip it.  Having said that, the LCD2 rev2 and the recent edition is quite nice and now that headphone price gouging is the normal thing to do, its become one of the better values.   

If the LCD2 does not make you happy, one important thing to try to absorb is that price does not equate to happiness. I would take the Philips Fidelio L1 and Fischer Audio FA011 over the LCD2 any day.  In my opinion, its not worth $950.   Take a trip to the Apple Store if you have one near by and give a listen to the Fidelio L1.  Its the only headphone I feel comfortable recommending that actually has potent, rich, textured and very deep sounding bass of a very high quality.  Its extremely well made, extremely good looking and has a great fun and warm low end with dry midrange.  Its a lot like the LCD2 in presentation, just less clear.  

Interesting observations there.  I'm curious if you've had a chance to hear HE-400's.  I'd love to hear your opinions on them in this roundup given your other opinions, especially compared to LCD-2.  It's a more direct lower-tier sibling of He-500, but has been described more as "LCD-2's little brother." Since you're not fond of LCD-2 for $950, I wonder what you'd think of HE-400 for $400 and how close it gets to "greatness" in your opinion.  It's new, and given its radically different price from the "high end" it's not common to see people genuinely comparing them.

May 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #36 of 107
I haven't the HE400, yet.  Having owned the He300, He6 and HE500, I've come to realize Hifiman is not interested sound staging qualities so I purposely ignored the He400.  I would be more than happy to review it, but you'd need to pester Hifiman for a review sample for me :)

May 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #37 of 107
Quote:
I haven't the HE400, yet.  Having owned the He300, He6 and HE500, I've come to realize Hifiman is not interested sound staging qualities so I purposely ignored the He400.  I would be more than happy to review it, but you'd need to pester Hifiman for a review sample for me :)

LOL, while I don't doubt that is true regarding their soundstaging (for the life of me I have no idea why they simply don't angle their pads!) I don't think HE-400 is that bad.  But, then, I haven't heard HE-500 which supposedly has better soundstaging. 

But compared to D5k, HD650, and even the venerably "huge for anything but HD800" K702's soundstage, I really don't think it's a terrible width or depth for a headphone.  With some angles, they could be quite nice. But the same applies to the whole range.

Actually I've heard some say that HE-6 has wider soundstaging than LCD-2, so it may all come down to the lobes.... :)

May 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #38 of 107
Quote:
Somehow in the last few years the headphone mfrs have gone off the deep-end with crazy sky's the limit price tiers and trying every engineering concept they can to squeeze that last few percent out of them.

Exactly, because they know people like us will buy them. But it's interesting how you said, "last few percent". I think that's exactly what it is.

Quote:
Talking to folks here, you'd assume LCD-3 is worlds better than LCD-2 which is worlds better than HE-400. Yet when you read the fine print, the objective observations, and read between the lines of the people that have compared pairings of them, the differences aren't all they're made up to be. You handle enough headphones and have owned enough of them, you know that.

Very true. I think that describes my experience in the world of amps quite well. We just hope the buyer knows exactly what he's getting for the extra money spent...

Honestly, I think we all do. The question is, whether or not we can really accept that fact. It must be hard to hit the ceiling, yet still want to go higher without selling your soul to get there; when in fact "higher" isn't really a significant advancement in the first place. I'm sure that can be applied to specific tiers of headphones besides the flagship end once you hit that "sweet spot" of value. Personally, I find it hard after all the headphones I've tried, and all my experience, to settle on something less than the greatest my budget will allow. But deep down I know that won't do me much good, yet I fail to convince myself of the fact that I'm paying for those few percentages. I'm sure users' experiences will vary, but I find this can be the case for a lot of us, including myself.

May 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #39 of 107
Quote:

Exactly, because they know people like us will buy them. But it's interesting how you said, "last few percent". I think that's exactly what it is.

Very true. I think that describes my experience in the world of amps quite well. We just hope the buyer knows exactly what he's getting for the extra money spent...

Honestly, I think we all do. The question is, whether or not we can really accept that fact. It must be hard to hit the ceiling, yet still want to go higher without selling your soul to get there; when in fact "higher" isn't really a significant advancement in the first place. I'm sure that can be applied to specific tiers of headphones besides the flagship end once you hit that "sweet spot" of value. Personally, I find it hard after all the headphones I've tried, and all my experience, to settle on something less than the greatest my budget will allow. But deep down I know that won't do me much good, yet I fail to convince myself of the fact that I'm paying for those few percentages. I'm sure users' experiences will vary, but I find this can be the case for a lot of us, including myself.

You mean those lowly mid-fidelity HD650/K702 ranges of headphones or those truly low-fidelity low resolution HD598's and AD900's?
rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, very well said.  I think Chris's experience should be a lesson to a lot of newcomers to the boards as to just how far off the deep-end may be warranted.  For the few percent of difference you're buying at those $1k price points, if you weren't happy with the headphones at the $500 price point, you probably still won't be happy with the $1k, $1.5k, $2k price points either....If you know what you're getting, as you say, then great.  But if you're so picky you're impossible to please at $500, you're not going to have much better luck elsewhere, there's only so far audio reproduction, especially at close-range can go.  The old flagships were already near the top of what can be done with audio reproduction.  K702 is still a staple of studio production, HD600 and 650 are still go-to staples in classical engineering.  They were a testament to modern engineering.  They were praised here for a decade almost.  Just how far did everyone think the same recording could be moved beyond that level? Sure tweaks here, tweaks there.  We all anticipated new releases...HD655, HD660, K703 that sort of thing.   New models to replace the elder models at the same price with newer tech.  Instead they dump the $1500 improved model on us.  And the monstrosity that is the $1000 HD700.   HD800 introduces great tech, nice advancement, I can understand a crazy premium on that until the R&D is paid and until mass production can move it into the mainstream.   The fact that HD700 is.....what it is, and HD800's new tech remains isolated to stratospheric prices is demeaning.  The problem, I fear, is that the mfrs know they've pushed the limits of the tech, there's nowhere else for them to go, so they can't afford to lower their prices as the tech ages.

Few things irritate me on the boards more than the "mid-fi" moniker.  I can live with all the praise of "cryo-treated cables sound so much better"....if it's what people think they hear, great.  I'm not anti-cable at all, I think there is some merit to it, but once they get into the crazy cryo type claims or those rediculous "Less Loss" cables I see advertised on the side-bar (I thought isolating the ground was a UL no-no?? I'd love to know how they got away with that....)  it gets more absurd.  But still, I can tolerate that.  But "mid-fi" just irritates me.  The insinuation that production level speakers that represented the top of the line for so long, and only sits SLIGHTLY below the flagships costing several times their value is somehow no longer represents a high level of fidelity is bewildering. No one will deny that HD800 (it's easiest to pick on Sennheiser with their nutty pricing) is superior to HD600 and HD650 technically.  But selling that bump in performance for 3x the price of the 10 year old launch price of the previous high-end makes it such a negative value proposition it's laughable.  Would I love to have one in my collection?  Sure.  Would I pay $1500 for it? Not a chance.  It's such false value.   The predictable world would have placed HD650 as the soon-to-be retired $300 or $350 headphone, HD700 as the replacement for HD650 at the $500 mark, and maybe, as sheer luxury, HD800 as the $1k flagship for those willing to pay for the last bit.   What has happened to the pricing structure in the headphone world is amazing.  But I can accept manufacturers doing it so long as folks are paying it.  Ok, fine.  But everyone running around screaming "headphone x is mid-fi, it doesn't have the extra tiny detail of hearing the saliva in the throat of the singer that $2k headphone y has" fuels the fire and harms any real discussion of headphones.   "mid-fi" does exist, but it exists at a much lower price point for much inferior models to former flagships.  Those that isolate "mid-fi" in that way seem to imply that top-of-the-line is hi-fi, most everything else is mid-fi, and SkullCandy is "low-fi".  It makes it very difficult to maintain useful discussion of the real value of product lines.  Like you said, you hope the buyer knows what they're getting for all that extra money in terms of tiny increases in performance.  The relegation to mid-fi of some truly amazing headphones I fear leads people to feel they need to spend $1k+ to experience what hi-fidelity really is, instead of understanding $1k+ buys them a little bit more prescision over existing hi-fi at manageable prices.

It's a false value that sponsors no doubt love.  But it's kind of a sad turn of events compared to what these forums looked like just a few years ago when people were doing the same thing with their $10k source chains to feed the 'unbeatable' HD650.  Back then, $500 was really expensive, but worth it for the price, but there was a lot you could do with some of the monitor-class headphones under $150.  Now $1k is the new $500, and $500 is considered cheap?  Someone missed the economic briefing...   For the long-time audiophiles, most of us know exactly what we're looking at so we can talk around it and still have meaningful conversation.  But for a lot of newcomers, that sort of thing gives them a very false sense of value and sense of what they're hearing.  Worse is the newcomers with way more money than experience who insist on buying the $1k+ price point, insisting it's the true meaning of hi-fi, and have no real understanding of what they really have and how it relates to what else is available.

It's not so much the money as the value that's at issue.  A common reaction to my statements would be that "well if you can't afford the top of the line....".  The money I've spent on my "mid-fi" headphone collection isn't mild.  I could have easily bought LCD-2, HE6, T1, even HD800, LCD-3, maybe even a Stax rig if you throw the IEMs and amps into the mix.  But for me, a collection of a host of different sound signatures and feels (and failover by duplicates), all at 90-95% of the performance of the top has far more value, fun, and generally sonic pleasure than the same money spent on a single pair of cans.  One top-tier headphone may please me for most things.  But 5 headphones each used for the recordings they enhance the most, to me, is a better matching for all recordings all the way around.  I wouldn't consider trading the collection for a one-size-fits-all flagship for a moment.  I think I would come away with less value than I had.  I can match my mood and the recording.  If I want analytical, wide sound K702 comes out. If I want relaxing, HD650 comes out.  If I want detailed or bassy, D5k comes out, if I want my dark all-rounder, HE-400 comes out.  One $2k headphone couldn't do that.  And is only somewhat better in detail and performance.  Which is a better value?  I'd still like to have an LCD2 in the collection, flaws aside, I think it represents the high-end of "almost-sane" and marks the beginning of "almost pointless diminishing returns."  But would I get much more out of it than what I have?  Probably not.  I'd love to hear the vast soundstage of HD800.  But I'm not sure I'd pay a dime more than $800 for the experience.  And even that is pushing it. They are so obviously trying to create a new market with a new sense of value, and unfortunately, a lot of people that should know better seem to be biting. 

There's also the bigger question.  How much detail is too much?  All this super-resolution may be good for the studio, but for listening, isn't the point to immitate live music?  When was the last time you heard the saliva in the throat or the bow striking the violin in a live performance unless you were on stage?  It's kind of fun to hear, but it also gets tiring fast.  Leading, also, to situations like Chris's "top of the line isn't good enough" dilemma.  It doesn't really sound like musicians playing.  It sounds like something much more electronic and surreal.  That may not apply to LCD2 as much as other flagships, though.

Still, we don't know what Chris is expecting from his headphones that he isn't getting!
redface.gif

May 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #43 of 107
That was a really good read IEMcrazy, at times i have felt misled by what i have read on Head-fi but at the same time i have no one to blame for my self for spending hundreds of dollars based on what i had read. I have a love hate relationship with this site, as i do love music and love hearing about the newest technology. But the pricing and value system seems to be crazy. As always i encourage people to listen to things with their own ears, as if you take everything on this site too literally you will end up overspending and being underwhelmed.

I really like your mentality towards to this hobby, i have multiple "Mid-Fi" headphones which i use depending on what type of music i am in the mood to listen. Honestly i think i am good as far as headphones go, eventually i would like to get some magnums and maybe invest in a better source. But we will see how money goes.

Its nice to see there are people this site that seem to be noticing the same trends that i am

May 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #44 of 107
Good read IEMcrazy! 

Personally though, I had the HD650, SR80i and HE-500 at the same time, which I guess qualifies as "mid-fi" around here. Then I decided to buy the HD800 and now I've sold everything else to finance that purchase and I'm pretty much satisfied. I don't see myself spending any more money on headphones if I don't sell these before. 

May 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #45 of 107
Just get the LCD-3 and be done with it. They have the midbass you miss from the rev.1, the highs from the rev.2, and have more extension and refinement than both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back