What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch!
Jul 21, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #47 of 618
1) What is this new product? Where is it used?
2.5mm 4 pins balanced IEM connector to 3.5mm 4 pins TRRS smartphone headphone adapter, or Hifiman typed 3.5 mm TRRS balanced socket.
Used on smartphone or Hifiman DAP. Or probably ifi is launching new product with 3.5mm TRRS balanced output.

2) What is the first button for – the one on the main barrel (on the left)?
Microphone on/off switch. The barrel has microphone build-in, and can be switched off when the adapter is connected to 3.5mm balanced output.

3) What is the second button for – the one on the 3.5mm connector (on the right)?
Smartphone TRRS or balanced TRRS mode switch.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #49 of 618
1) What is this new product? Where is it used?  A micro version of iPurifier/impedence matching/power attenuator  used between a DAP/mobile and the headphones/iem
2) What is the first button for – the one on the main barrel (on the left)? Power attenuator selector
3) What is the second button for – the one on the 3.5mm connector (on the right)? IPhone/Android selector

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #50 of 618
It's a fire extinguisher. The bottom button is for grease fires and the top button is for forest fires. Pretty epic stuff actually...

Jkjk, it looks like an impedance adapter. If I had to guess the bottom button is to activate and deactivate the impedance, and the top button is a switch to change the jack from Android to iPhone functionality.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #52 of 618
3rd and last entry for me:

From a business perspective this looks like some type of enhancer for any headphone/IEM/earbud that people use with their smartphones. That would be the biggest market and not everyone wants to buy $200+ headphone. This looks like something that would sell for about $29-$49 dollars so that should appeal to a significant market.

Design wise as some said, there doesn't appear to be a battery so self powered device doesn't seem likely. Also the design of the switches don't seem to be the type where there is frequent changing. It looks more like a "set and forget it" type of switch.

So what kind of sound enhancer will this be? Is it a bass/treble booster? I don't think so because every smartphone has a way to do it via software EQ. Is it iFi 3-D enhancer? Again I don't think so because how are you going to explain that to the general market? Also the reviews even within Headfi have been mixed. Is it impedance matching? Again, how many folks understand what that is in the general market?

Therefore I can only conclude:

1) It is a general active noise cancellation device. It will work for both cases where you have a built in mic or you don't (see below). iFi will release a mobile app that is required to make this work. The noise cancellation processing uses the smartphone CPU therefore it does not need an battery. It uses the external mic to pick up on the outside noise.

2) Barrel switch is a setting to use your inline mic, or use the mic built into the barrel if you don't have an inline mic.

3) Connector switch sets the pin out to iOS or Android

I only wrote this long explanation because I assume I am wrong, but then iFi will realize that my idea is better and will change their plans. Plus I would really like one of these.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #53 of 618
  3rd and last entry for me:

From a business perspective this looks like some type of enhancer for any headphone/IEM/earbud that people use with their smartphones. That would be the biggest market and not everyone wants to buy $200+ headphone. This looks like something that would sell for about $29-$49 dollars so that should appeal to a significant market.

Design wise as some said, there doesn't appear to be a battery so self powered device doesn't seem likely. Also the design of the switches don't seem to be the type where there is frequent changing. It looks more like a "set and forget it" type of switch.

So what kind of sound enhancer will this be? Is it a bass/treble booster? I don't think so because every smartphone has a way to do it via software EQ. Is it iFi 3-D enhancer? Again I don't think so because how are you going to explain that to the general market? Also the reviews even within Headfi have been mixed. Is it impedance matching? Again, how many folks understand what that is in the general market?

Therefore I can only conclude:

1) It is a general active noise cancellation device. It will work for both cases where you have a built in mic or you don't (see below). iFi will release a mobile app that is required to make this work. The noise cancellation processing uses the smartphone CPU therefore it does not need an battery. It uses the external mic to pick up on the outside noise.

2) Barrel switch is a setting to use your inline mic, or use the mic built into the barrel if you don't have an inline mic.

3) Connector switch sets the pin out to iOS or Android

I only wrote this long explanation because I assume I am wrong, but then iFi will realize that my idea is better and will change their plans. Plus I would really like one of these.

Wow. Well done! Like this idea a bunch. 

Another thing I wish someone made was an inline device that allowed certain ambient noises in so that you could be more aware of what was going on around you. For instance with my Noble K10 CIEM's the isolation is so good that I don't feel safe wearing them outside as I'm functionally deaf with them in and any level of music playing. If you could have a device that is the opposite of noise cancelling, but instead selectively noise-amplifying (e.g. something loud like a car horn, siren, shout) it would allow you to wear isolating HP's out into the world more safely. Could use the smartphone's circuitry and power as well. 

In fact let's make that a guess (if nothing more than an aspirational one like the above from @bflat) 

1 - Emergency noise awareness device
2 - Sensitivity setting (low/high)
3 - Pin-out adjustment

Inventors please take note! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #54 of 618
1) What is this new product? Where is it used?

The product is two fold...  a balanced to SE adapter/match/filter...  its used at the output of a music device with balanced output and the headphones plug into the other end

2) What is the first button for – the one on the main barrel (on the left)?

The first button is for impedance matching/filtering

3) What is the second button for – the one on the 3.5mm connector (on the right)?

The second button is for switching from balanced to SE...

cool...

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #59 of 618
List of ideas for competition + joke ideas....
Impedance button + amp
Amp + balanced modE
BASS/ 3D boosterafier + Amp
Headphone Ipurifier Holographic holophonic booster + Amp

Turns your DAP/ I phone/ Android into a ambipure odour for your musical moods
10 sCents including spiced Apple.

A voice changer that sounds like Thorsten at different stages of drinking after another day of talking too a moody 9 feet Australian in yet another country with bad food.

First button makes the wife sound less angry for spending money the second lazer disintegration ray.

Idrinkifier: place into carton first button flavour second button soda bubbles.

Water ipurifier / Air Ipurifier

First makes Every song sound like a scouser... The Second allow to slow down the sound or speed up to make it seem like Mini Mouse...

The first makes a light come on
As above just another light..

AMR trickle down spare parts from the a management monthly team meeting.
We have 4000 connectors we have over ordered and 8 thousand Led bulbs.
What next guys?

If you buy 4 you can make a dancing robot from all the other IfI products.

Its a really small fire extinguisher..
It's a really small hoover...to clean up sound..

A sound better button

A sound louder button

Good luck regardless

Dave

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #60 of 618
1) What is this new product? Where is it used?  Do not know.  Amplifier?  Used on mobile device.
2) What is the first button for – the one on the main barrel (on the left)?  bypass switch
3) What is the second button for – the one on the 3.5mm connector (on the right)? volume boost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back