What should I upgrade
Apr 25, 2011 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PurpleCow

Head-Fier
Trying to figure out what I should upgrade first. Right now my set up goes as follows Xonar Essence STX > DT880 600 ohm, should I get an AMP now or get a dac and later down the road get an amp? I want to be able to notice a big difference with whatever upgrade I go with. Also I listen to music 80% of the time and game 20%, I also started listening to flac if that helps at all.

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 5
The biggest difference when you switch components comes from the change in tone/sound signature.  This would most likely come from the headphone itself.  This change in tone doesn't necessarily mean that it's better.  A decent DAC/Amp can be had for ~$150 and could be a significant upgrade to your setup.  If you like the upgrade, you can always plunk out more for seperate components later, but you're going to want to test the waters first.  Don't just upgrade for the sake of upgrading (the audiophile curse).  Best of luck!

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
The biggest difference when you switch components comes from the change in tone/sound signature.  This would most likely come from the headphone itself.  This change in tone doesn't necessarily mean that it's better.  A decent DAC/Amp can be had for ~$150 and could be a significant upgrade to your setup.  If you like the upgrade, you can always plunk out more for seperate components later, but you're going to want to test the waters first.  Don't just upgrade for the sake of upgrading (the audiophile curse).  Best of luck!

any recommendations for a decent dac/amp? felxible with the budget but nothing more than 400 usd

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 5
The 600 ohm version with the STX? they are not being driven properly. To the op, you can check the F/s forum, there are nice deals on amps on the $400 range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back