What should I purchase?
Dec 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

OmarSy

Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of sennheiser momentum's and I was wondering what type of DAC/AMP I should purchase.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
And I plan to use the dac on my laptop so a portable one isn't necessary.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 14
I have nothing set in stone, I don't want to pay $2000 for a MCntosh one though hah.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't think the Momentum needs an amp. But I'm guessing you probably want to have better source than your on board sound card, assuming your laptop will act as the transport. So can you tell us what's lacking when plugging the Momentum straight to your laptop?

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 14
Yes, that's exactly correct and the sound sometimes is a bit jittery and doesn't sound as good as I have heard it before connected to an amp (I can't recall which) and it sounded way better.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 14
You would recommend it?
Even for use with other headphones with a different impedance?

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly correct and the sound sometimes is a bit jittery and doesn't sound as good as I have heard it before connected to an amp (I can't recall which) and it sounded way better.

Jitter can be eliminated by using a USB DAC, meaning external sound card. But if your USB port is bad, it can't transfer the amount of power needed to the DAC and could cause white noise, which is much worse than jitter. So you might want to try a cheaper USB DAC first, like the Fiio E10, Topping D1 Mark II, or iBasso D-Zero.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Jitter can be eliminated by using a USB DAC, meaning external sound card. But if your USB port is bad, it can't transfer the amount of power needed to the DAC and could cause white noise, which is much worse than jitter. So you might want to try a cheaper USB DAC first, like the Fiio E10, Topping D1 Mark II, or iBasso D-Zero.

Jitter can't be eliminated, but it can be made inaudible by a good DAC.

The comment about power is right on.  The ODAC draws less than 125mA (about 1/4 of the USB spec.)

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Jitter can't be eliminated, but it can be made inaudible by a good DAC.

The comment about power is right on.  The ODAC draws less than 125mA (about 1/4 of the USB spec.)

Thank you for the correction. That is the exact intended explanation but the word didn't come to my mind.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 14
I possibly may purchase some beyerdynamic's DT880's or possibly something else I'm not sure.
And ODAC + O2 would be a smart purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back