What movie did you just see?
Jun 19, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #571 of 648
Das Experiment - Psychological Thriller.

A dozen men sign up for a jail experiment where half are guards and half are inmates.

This was one movie that had me rivetted to my seat and I had to see it through in one uninterrupted sitting. Based on a true story. Read the above review for details.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Horror Thriller.

Oh, the fond memories... I'm watching it now and am anxiously waiting for the running in the cornfield scene which always made me laugh...

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #572 of 648
Crimson Rivers II: Angels of the Apocalypse - Jean Reno, Christopher Lee. Horror / Cop Drama. 5.1 French & English languages and subtitles.

Something's been found in a monastery and some of the monks are running amok, killing people & exhibiting super human strength and agility. Is the Apocalypse about to be ushered in?

Very original premise, although the film stock is too contrasty with minimal colour correction (green (fluorescent) & orange (incandescent) tinges throughout).

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #573 of 648
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Crimson Rivers II: Angels of the Apocalypse - Jean Reno, Christopher Lee. Horror / Cop Drama. 5.1 French & English languages and subtitles.

Something's been found in a monastery and some of the monks are running amok, killing people & exhibiting super human strength and agility. Is the Apocalypse about to be ushered in?

Very original premise, although the film stock is too contrasty with minimal colour correction (green (fluorescent) & orange (incandescent) tinges throughout).

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Les rivières pourpres II? Good one. I also loved the first one.

I just watched Constantine. Very decent comic adaptation. Keanu just fits it perfectly. Also the "Passive" Video Clip on the DVD was to my liking.
tongue.gif

Can't wait to go and see Sin City.

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #575 of 648
Hostage..

Not bad..

That kid from Six Feet Under stole the show.. Made a good pshyco..

I also watched Raging Bull for the 1st time..

Just because it's one of those "cultural icon" movies (Deliverence, 2001: Space Oddesey, Charlie and the Choclate Factory, etc), and I'm wanting to see as many as I can of the DECENT ones (not so fast, Citezen Kane.. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Gone with the Wind) so I can know what the hell people are talking about those times where you have to have seen the movie..

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #577 of 648
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Hitch It seems like all romantic comedies are the same. Can't anyone come up with an orignal storyline?

That depends... Do you want a romantic love story or a comedy? I enjoyed "Serendipity", "Fools Rush In", "Cutting Edge". I don't lnow if "Bruce Almighty" could be called a romantic comedy, even though it had the beautiful Jennifer Aniston as the love interest.

I think the last romantic comedy I saw and truly laughed at was "Sex and the Single Girl" (Natalie Wood). The car chase scene always cracks me up.

For eye candy there's "My Boss's Daughter". Hmmm... Tara Reid...

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #578 of 648
Saw Batman Begins earlier today. Wow! Very cool, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Afterwards I rewatched Requiem for a Dream at home. Perhpas it was the overload of popcorn from the theater, but I felt a little nauseous afterwards. I don't think I need to see that ever again - I get the message, already
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Don't forget Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime). So it's not as cute or kids-friendly as the other three, but it's my favorite Hayao Miyazaki movie, great soundtrack too.
icon10.gif

Yes, Princess Mononoke is also by far my favorite Miyazaki work (so far I've seen: Spirited, Kiki's, Totoro, Laputa, Naussica). Actually, it's probably my favorite anime movie too.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #579 of 648
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
That depends... Do you want a romantic love story or a comedy?

And there lies the problem. A lot movies try to do both but fail at doing either well. Is it so hard to find a movie where I can laugh at about half of it but at the very end I actually feel sympathy for the characters and wish they could be happy together?

I don't watch too many romantic comedies, but movies like Hitch, How to lose a guy in 10 days, etc, etc, have a tendency to make me hate the characters more then like them. Everyone just seems so shallow and selfish. By the end of the movie I only hope they can get together so they can make the other person suffer.

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #580 of 648
The Glass Bottom Boat finally came out on DVD.

Now if they'd only release The Gazebo (Debbie Reynolds), I'd Rather Be Rich (Sandra Dee), Do Not Disturb (Rod Taylor, Doris Day), Sunday in NY (Rod Taylor. I still hate Jane Fonda), A Ticklish Affair (Shirley Jones, Carolyn Jones (her sister), Gig Young), Sex and the Single Girl (Natalie Wood), and a few other romantic comedies (I may pick up some Jack Lemon pictures), I'd be a very happy man.

My all time favourite romantic comedy is "It started With Eve" (Deanna Durbin, Robert Cummings) 1941. It's out now on her DVD 6 movie set.

So if the new romantic comedies aren't doing it for you, try some of the oldies.

I hope you're watching Coupling on PBS.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #581 of 648
Fantastic Four...good entertainment...

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #582 of 648
Finally saw Batman Begins. Great movie, very dark and gritty feel. Interesting choices in the villains used. I liked the way they really showed the different aspects of Bruce's separate personas and his thought processes. Not so fond of the choice for his parent's murderer, but I understand why they did that to move the rest of the plot along. Also very surprised at just who provided his martial arts and stealth training... I would've preferred a different source, like in the comics, I believe. Still, it and the first Batman movie are really good, definitely recommended.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #583 of 648
Just watched a few flicks in the past week or two.

Alien vs predator: Good for what it was. Although it could've used more action.

Dawn of the dead
: alright, but it bored me a bit in the middle.

Attack on precinct 13
: This I liked. The fact that it didn't try to be something else. Just names, faces, and guns. And a reason to shoot them. None of that backstory or character depth crap.
tongue.gif

Hide and Seek: Shame of the Week. Horribly boring, drags on, doesn't deliver for s**t. I kept for something interesting to happen, but nope. Ending was cliche, non-dramatic, and all around stupid. This is neither a thriller or horror flick.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The only scary part was the very end, after the movie was over. The footage they showed that actually happened. I spent most of the movie oggling the girl from seventh heaven.

Shaun of the Dead: Not too bad for a low-budget flick. Gave me a few good laughs. Got get used to the british accents though.

Bad Boys 2
: lots of action and funny, but half-an hour too long.

Versus (japanese): Uh . . . not really good. Only the beginning when they fought the zombies was decent. Everything else sucked for the most part.

Oldboy (korean): Great film. The ending was . . . crazy.

My Fav so far:

Reservoir Dogs: Awesome. I admit, I went into this thinking it'd be more action with tarantino's cool direction, but I was wrong. It's somewhat slow-paced, but that works with how the movie plays out. If that makes any sense.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #584 of 648
Just saw Downfall, and I must to say, it was easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. Bruno Ganz was absolutely amazing as Hitler, and the supporting cast members were just as outstanding. This was one of those movies that I'de really have a hard time criticizing. I did think think Ganz's performance was just a bit over the top at times, but then again, he was portraying Hitler...

Best war movie ever? Probably not, but damn close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back