What makes a good headphone?
Sep 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Iasonas93

New Head-Fier
I was comparing some of the best headphones available for money to see the specifications and stuff ,
I compared the Grado PS1000 vs the sennheiser HD 800
Although the grado's  cost 200$ more ,the specs doesnt seem to fit .
some of the specs:

Grado
  1. Response Bandwidth 5 - 50000 Hz
  2. Sensitivity 98 dB/mW
  3. Impedance 32 Ohm

sennheiser:
  1. Response Bandwidth 8 - 50000 Hz
  2. Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.02 %
  3. Sensitivity 102 dB
  4. Impedance 300 Ohm

The grado's say they are best in use with portable devices wich i think is why they have so low ohm's

the sennheiser's are 10 times the ohms and have more decibel than the grados and are heavier  have a better magnet (from what i have read)...
so i was wondering ,what makes a good headphone if not the Impedance or the sensitivity?

Thank you for being noob friendly

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 23
You can compare stats and charts all day

But the best pair of headphones are the ones you enjoy. I like my T50RP, they are the best pair of headphones, to me.

HD800 are great, for Classical
PS1000 are great, for Rock/Jazz

They both can be used for any music with a varying array of setups and components of your choice. But comparing stats is worthless

Either way, the best headphone you can buy are probably ---------- (I'm not going there) probably the best headphone you can buy, with setup is exceeding $8000

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 23
Is there a perfect headphone out there for everybody?

Well assuming we all listened to just one or two genres
of music and individual comfort was a non-issue,
(I won't even bother with discussing aesthetics preferences)

Yep, there sure is.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 23
Stats are meaningless.  Well measured frequency and square wave graphs can give a small picture, but they're not the ultimate means to measure.  It all comes down to your ears and your preference in sound, as well as your preferred order of important features-- ie comfort, isolation, bass extension etc.

For me it's:

1. Comfort
2. Overall clarity
3. Bass extension
4. Soundstaging
5. Neutrality
Dead Last.  Portability/Isolation :p

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
It really depends on you.Personally, I'll probably enjoy an Ultrasone more than a STAX. If I had the money, I'd get a headphone for each genre I listen to.

That would be quite a mess over trying to switch them out. Well, how fast I switch genres is very quick.

Quote:
I wish there was a Grado with the comfort of a Sennheiser....

Grado are comfortable. But they would fall apart if they were built like a Senn. minus the HD25

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:

1. Comfort
2. Overall clarity
3. Bass extension
4. Soundstaging
5. Neutrality
Dead Last.  Portability/Isolation :p

1. Speed of driver
2. Moddability
3. Neutrality
4. Bass extention
5. Bass detail
6. Mid detail
7. Smoothed Highs
8. Comfort (can always be modded)
Last: Looks

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 23
They're made of the same material as the comfies, right? Then that won't solve my problem. 

._.

Quote:
G-Cush pads.

Makes any Grado easy and comfortable to wear.

Very best,

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 23
best headphone to me is something with no sound signature of it's own. it's either close to being flat as a straight ruler from 20hz-20khz or close enough with good accurate soundstage and imagery capabilities to distinguished each instrument from each other with great clarity. why? cause it will be the best all-rounder it can be but lot of people don't like that and do prefer certain colorations(especially bass from everything i see and read) for certain music and that is completely fine. i just like something that just does their job and does it well. basically anything you really enjoy is the best headphone since in the end it's always about the music.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 23
To me a good headphone, 

1- Sound good with the genres i listen to
2- Built to last
3- Comfort

We all agree with the first aspect i think. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back