What languages can you speak?
Mar 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 169
English, and a little bit of Finnish, and a little bit of Swedish. I feel more comfortable with Swedish (of the Finlandssvensk variety) even though I've taken more classes in Finnnish.

Oh yeah, and Latin, as if that's of any use.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #35 of 169
English, Spanish and Latin.

Sort of related, I read, understand and can play music, read and use schematics, and can send and receive Morse Code.

If you want to include jargon, then legal, accounting, electronics, construction, and computers.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #36 of 169
Norwegian (Fluent), English (very good).
...and can make myself more or less understood in German, Swedish and Danish.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #37 of 169
English, although not according to my British friends

I can get by in French, I had 5 years in school but that was 30 years ago. I've taken 4 trips to French speaking parts of Europe and managed. When watching French movies, I sometimes stop reading the subtitles, but quickly need to read again.

A very little, ASL (American Sign Language) or really Signed English. My wife is hard of hearing, although mostly oral. I have been to parties where I was the only hearing person and I've been to 2 Gualludet University homecomings.

Spanish would be the handiest language to learn since you run into native Spanish speakers every day here in DC

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #39 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides English, I can speak and understand Cantonese.

HKer?

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #40 of 169
English, German, Spanish (only enough to get by with patients), and Latin (hope the Roman patients don't show!).

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #41 of 169
English, Bad English, took sign language for a couple years, and a little Spanish hardly enough to count though.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #42 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HKer?

Nope, born and raised in the USA. My parents and grandparents are from Macau. My grandparents don't speak or understand English, so I need to speak to them in Cantonese.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #45 of 169
Serbian (native), Italian, Macedonian, some russian and english. The last one i can understand about 90%, but this is the second time in my life that i actually wrote something...

Oh yeah, i'd really like to learn spanish, german, japanese and chinese. It's cool to be able to understand as many languages as you can. That's how i came here in the first place
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back