What kind of headphone do you recommend for me around 600 $?
Apr 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

voyager123

Head-Fier
I own a pair of DT880, but I use them rarely, because I don't like their sound signature. They're too bright for me due their excessive highs.
I mostly listen to Rock and Metal but I don't despise Jazz or Acoustic music.
I don't like much bass, espacially if it's bad qualaity bass. DT880's textured, fast bass was just right for me in terms of quantity too.
It's not a problem if it's a bit more, but not by a wide margin.
I don't like recessed mids either, especially if they're thin and emotionless.
I like smooth, inoffensive highs.
Budget is around 600 $.

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 15
Grado PS-500

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 15
Frankly, I am a bit afraid of Grado's sound signature, because the only Grado I've heard was the SR80i. I really liked them, but they were even brighter than my DT880's. If the other Grado's also have the same or similar sound signature as the SR80's, they aren't good for long term listenings.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 15
What about Denon D5000? I love with any kind of music i'm listening to (including vocal jazz, rock and metal)  especially bass quality best noticeble on jazz, symphonic classical and electronic.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Frankly, I am a bit afraid of Grado's sound signature, because the only Grado I've heard was the SR80i. I really liked them, but they were even brighter than my DT880's. If the other Grado's also have the same or similar sound signature as the SR80's, they aren't good for long term listenings.

Yeah i know,that`s why i`m suggesting the PS-500,check out the frequency responce graph on Headroom,it'll give you and idea of what i`m talking about

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 15

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for an LCD-2 either rev1 or rev2.

Scour the second hand classifieds until you find one in that price range - you won't look back
 as they're perfect for rock-metal heads who have a sensitivity for treble. All about the mids
 too with those headphones - upper range extension is umm.. 'mellow' to say the least.

Actual fit and weight of the Audeze though could be an issue - no way of advising you on
 that though as everyone's noggin is different.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 15
What about the HifiMan HE500's?
It looks like a good all-arounder headphone due it's tonal balance.
How much bass does the HE500 have comaprede to another headphones?
I don't like a headphone to be bass-heavy. I found the HD600's bass on the borderline.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 15
The smaller dynamic drivers in the HD600/650 rolloff sooner than the larger planar drivers in the Hifimans.  You might find the deeper extension to be more bass than you would like, but it's still a very neutral and controlled bass from what I understand.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
The smaller dynamic drivers in the HD600/650 rolloff sooner than the larger planar drivers in the Hifimans.  You might find the deeper extension to be more bass than you would like, but it's still a very neutral and controlled bass from what I understand.

HE-500 owner here.  I find the HE-500 gives as much bass as the song requires.  I don't feel that it ever adds or takes away anything.  As others have said the HE-500 aren't perfectly neutral, but they have a wonderful natural sound about them.  I'm def. not a bass head.  Usually as far as i can tell when those are deciding between LCD-2 and HE-500, the main points are that LCD has great bass and HE-500  has great mids with a real extension on the treble while still sounding smooth.  Both phones of course perform wonderfully all around, but those are considered to be the highlights from what I understand.  Feel free to correct me LCD owners.

To my ears what you said

I don't like recessed mids either, especially if they're thin and emotionless.
I like smooth, inoffensive highs.

This pretty much exactly describes the HE-500 to me.  Smooth highs with a long reach and yes great mids :)

Hope this helps.

May 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 15
I would be careful with the HE-500.  I really loved that headphone, but it had one unforgivable flaw, the bass response was anything but reference.  Personally, nothing irks me more than gross anomalies in the FR, and the HE-500s have a nice, noticeable bump in the bass.  It pretty much distorts the bass detail in the immediate area making subtleties come across as smudged.  So unless you can live with that, I would pass.

This is pretty well documented on the forums by those with a breadth of experience and phones at their disposal.  Of course, if you don't listen as closely as some of us do, this might not be a problem.  

May 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 15
The Sennheiser HD650 are close to what you are looking for in headphones and Denon D2000 are very good sounding headphones without being bright.

May 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Here's an example from 8/5/11:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In particular, there is a "bloom" in the lower midrange and upper-bass that can be pleasing on some recordings and a bit overwhelming on others. Apart from these things, I can list a whole range of positive points about the HE-500. I really liked them for what they did well (involving, liquid, upfront mids).

There are more if you look in that thread.  Particularly through the beginning as guys were trying it out.

[Edit] Another:

I would guess it's a gradual hump as it causes one bass note to blur with the next one causing a dulling effect. It can be pleasant but I find it robs too much from attack and transients (in bass area). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back